Tooth bar question

/ Tooth bar question #1  

Kevin Beitz

Tractor
Kubota & 100 other makes
How much difference does it really make???
The price you have to pay for one is high... Is it really worth the cost ???
I'm thinking about trying to make my own.
At our local junk-yard I found cast steel sickle-bar teeth that really looks like it would made great teeth for a bucket. I tryed to brake one with a hammer and it never fazed it... Does the bolt in bars wrap around the buckets cutting bar, or just hook over top of the existing bar ??? I have two Kubotas that both could use a bar...

/ Tooth bar question #2  
Depends on what you are doing. When cleaning up and trying to minimize the amount of dirt you gather, the tooth bar is awesome. It does help in digging and will rip the heck out of vines and such. For back blading and smoothing, I take mine off.

/ Tooth bar question #3  
It's like night and day if you need to dig in hard ground. There's a lot of toothbar stories and photos on TBN. Some of them are home made. Use the search tool, and you should get a lot of good ideas.

/ Tooth bar question #4  
Depends on what you are doing. I really love using a landscape type tooth bar. Awesome for sod removal and digging. I like it for grading too. The tractor I use at a Boy Scout facility has one installed and it has to be the best thing going.

/ Tooth bar question #5  
Kevin,
Cost really isn't that bad if you go with a Markham. I'm ordering one for my BX and it's under $200. delivered I think the productivity you will get out of one outweighs the cost.

Ed

/ Tooth bar question #6  
For me, the toothbar makes the FEL bucket at least twice as effective in scooping and digging into material. I, too, worried about the cost initially until I actually purchased one and used it. Well worth the money. Not worth trying to cobble one up, either, IMHO.

/ Tooth bar question #7  
Kevin Beitz said:
How much difference does it really make???
The price you have to pay for one is high... Is it really worth the cost ???
I'm thinking about trying to make my own.
At our local junk-yard I found cast steel sickle-bar teeth that really looks like it would made great teeth for a bucket. I tryed to brake one with a hammer and it never fazed it... Does the bolt in bars wrap around the buckets cutting bar, or just hook over top of the existing bar ??? I have two Kubotas that both could use a bar...
Best bang for your buck. Lots of threads about this toothbar. It's the cat's meow and very affordable.

Markham Welding - Tooth Bar

/ Tooth bar question #8  
Like was said, if you do a lot of digging, especially in harder ground, it makes a big difference. I do a lot of digging with the FEL bucket so for me it was definitely worth it. Making your own is cool too. Lots of guys have done that. You also asked asked about wrapping around the lip and yes, the teeth on the bolt on Markham does that. (Others too)

When I back drag dirt or gravel, I use the rear of my bucket. But when I rake up debris like sticks or rocks, I use the teeth with light pressure.

/ Tooth bar question #9  
I went to visit a friend who have a big excavator and he was changing few teeth on is big bucket, so he give me 6 of them and look what i have done with a flat bar and 2 bolts.

Attachments

• Copie de DSC01397.JPG
    Copie de DSC01397.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 636
   / Tooth bar question
skippy957 said:
I went to visit a friend who have a big excavator and he was changing few teeth on is big bucket, so he give me 6 of them and look what i have done with a flat bar and 2 bolts.

What keeps the teeth from twisting under when you pry up with the bucket...
What you made looks very weak...