HELP How do you Start/ Move a BX23 with a bum neutral start switch?

/ HELP How do you Start/ Move a BX23 with a bum neutral start switch? #1  

LBrown59

Super Star Member
First organized permanent settlement in the northw
Tractor
2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500
How do you start a BX23 with a bum neutral start switch?
I want to get the tractor down off the hill into my heated garage to replace the switch, but the problem is how do I move it from where it's setting into the garage when the switch won't let me start it???
I think when I replace it I will install a by pass switch for just this situation.
This is the second neutral switch that's gone bad on this tractor.
Come to think of it I don't really see why the neutral switch is needed on the BX23.
If you start it with the lever engaged instead of in the neutral position the tractor is not going anywhere unless the treadle petal is pressed down into forward or reverse.
Has anyone eliminated or by passed the neutral start switch on a BX23? ? ?

/ HELP How do you Start/ Move a BX23 with a bum neutral start switch? #2  
Find the wire terminal on the starter that comes from the ignition switch. It will be a small wire. Get a short 12-14 ga wire with an alligator clip on one end, bare wire or another clip on the other. Clip the wire to the small wire's terminal post on the starter. Do the pre-heat thing, and with the tractor in neutral, brakes set, touch the other end of the jumper wire to the big post on the starter. The engine should turn over and start.

Bear in mind I've never laid eyes on a BX23 but that is the general procedure I've used dozens of times to get things running when the battery and starter are good but won't crank due to safety switch, etc. problems.

edit: Or if you know which safety switch it is and can get to it, use the wire to jumper that switch.

/ HELP How do you Start/ Move a BX23 with a bum neutral start switch? #3  
Switch broke on mine as soon as the cold set in the first winter i had it (My fault, I had washed it recently). I don't remember exactly what I did, but it has worked flawlessly up until now.

For me this was just an annoying safety-feature. Now I can start it right up, press the pedal and go!

But I'm sure it's there for a reason. If I had small kids around I might have thought very different about this.

See if you understand the pics. I think it's the plug going down to the safety-switch that I have disconnected, pulled up, shortwired, and then put at this new location.

It's been a while since I did this... Now have 600 hours and a lot of abuse and nothing else wrong with it!

Attachments

• DSC00031 [800x600].JPG
    DSC00031 [800x600].JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 706
  • DSC00036 1.jpg
    DSC00036 1.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 563
   / HELP How do you Start/ Move a BX23 with a bum neutral start switch?
cp1969 said:
Find the wire terminal on the starter that comes from the ignition switch. It will be a small wire. Get a short 12-14 ga wire with an alligator clip on one end, bare wire or another clip on the other. Clip the wire to the small wire's terminal post on the starter. Do the pre-heat thing, and with the tractor in neutral, brakes set, touch the other end of the jumper wire to the big post on the starter. The engine should turn over and start.

Bear in mind I've never laid eyes on a BX23 but that is the general procedure I've used dozens of times to get things running when the battery and starter are good but won't crank due to safety switch, etc. problems.

edit: Or if you know which safety switch it is and can get to it, use the wire to jumper that switch.
Did that and it still wouldn't start.
Decided then to check and see if all the levers were in the correct position.
Bingo you got it the pto for the mower was engaged.Put the lever in the off position and the tractor took right off.
Should have checked the levers before unpluging the NSS.

Did I win the Dummy of the day award?

/ HELP How do you Start/ Move a BX23 with a bum neutral start switch?
Thanks fellows for the replys.
Got it started and it is setting in the garage.
The great thing is the NSS is ok so I don't have to replace it.

/ HELP How do you Start/ Move a BX23 with a bum neutral start switch? #7  
Did I win the Dummy of the day award?
Nah, just proves that no matter how many hrs/yrs one has on a machine, the simple things can still kick one's behind :D

Sometimes the KISS principle can overcome Murphy's law :D