PTO won't cut-off

/ PTO won't cut-off #1  

ctpres

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 3400HST
Wet clay got stuck to auger on phd causing excessive vibration. Since then pto won't always stop. I can't see any obvious adjustments. Any ideas?

/ PTO won't cut-off #2  
Some questions - what model tractor? 2-stage clutch? How many hours? Is the pto engagement mechanical or electric? Did the pto disengage ok before the vibration event? When the pto fails to stop, does it still drive with full power? Auger imbalance should not affect pto clutch - maybe the clutch needs adjustment. If it is a 2-stage clutch, some tractors have separate adjustment for pto and travel clutch. On others, one adjustment affects both, so adjusting for a worn travel clutch can leave the pto so it doesn't disengage.

/ PTO won't cut-off #3  
I am not sure if your 3400HST has the PTO engagement mechanism as my 3710 GST. I had the same problem last spring. It turned out to be a stuck linkage arm.

Here is a quick way to check. Follow the the cable from the PTO engagement lever to the arm that passes through the transmission housing. Make sure it is moving when you are moving the PTO lever. Mine was not. At first I thought it was the cable. It turned out it was the linkage was binding where it passes though the housing.

I was able to free it by spraying LOTS of penetrating fluid on the shaft and having some one move the lever back and forth as I gently tapped the linkage with a hammer. It took several minutes but it finally released.

By the sounds of it, you may be having the same problem......

Hope this is of some help,

Gary

/ PTO won't cut-off #4  
There is a factory fix for this for L2800/3400's at least. My L2800 had this problem and the dealer explained the oem cable was stretching which cause the PTO to not disengage. I assume they replaced it with a non stretching cable.

/ PTO won't cut-off
rbargeron said:
Some questions - what model tractor? 2-stage clutch? How many hours? Is the pto engagement mechanical or electric? Did the pto disengage ok before the vibration event? When the pto fails to stop, does it still drive with full power? Auger imbalance should not affect pto clutch - maybe the clutch needs adjustment. If it is a 2-stage clutch, some tractors have separate adjustment for pto and travel clutch. On others, one adjustment affects both, so adjusting for a worn travel clutch can leave the pto so it doesn't disengage.
Kubota 3400 HST, 120 Hrs, don't know if mech or elec. Prior to this prob. I always disengaged the Pto qithout clutching to prevent bad overing clutch sounds, always no prob. When pto disengaged and won't stop it is full power. Must stop engine and pto will be off on restart every time.

/ PTO won't cut-off #6  
It is mechanical cable operated PTO. Your cable is more than likely out of adjustment.

/ PTO won't cut-off #7  
ctpres, it WILL get worst... The crap from kutoba was to shoot oil on the cable... this has not worked for me. I got tired of turning off the engine to un-stick the pto and besides even that "trick" will quit working :mad: and the PTO will be "on" as you start the engine again.

I will not recommend this but the only thing that works for *Me*... and to be used only as a last resort "work around"... is to push the clutch in, lock it in place, hop off the tractor and grab the augar and spin it back and forth until the cams "let go". Someone else in the safty form said I should turn the tractor off before doing this and I will try that the next time I use it.

IF you have lots of holes to dig, it's a butt pain to get on and off the tractor that many times, so I ended up dragged it around while it was spinning.

/ PTO won't cut-off #8  
I was seriously looking at the L3400 Kubota tractor but the PTO issues is really turning me off. Cams, cables, what else? Seems someone needs to go back to the drawing board and come up with a different design on this tractor.

/ PTO won't cut-off #9  
The L2800/3400 has PTO cable service advicory, NOT A RECALL. PSB-2007-027, it replaces the cable and install a new bracket to keep the cable from binding. If your tractor is in warranty it is covered,
The original has a sharp angle for the cable to enter the sleeve, the new bracket changes the angle. It fixed my sticking cable.

/ PTO won't cut-off #10  
It's not worth the $$$ in gas and the time to go do it... If Kubota wishes to mail me the part... I'll send them the address. I have about 7 more months before it's out of warranty.

How can not shutting off a PTO, NOT be a friggin' recall? I guess someone has to die??