Moving Snow With A BX

/ Moving Snow With A BX #11  
I moved 18" without much problem using an old Wheel Horse D180. Wheel Horse D-180 Events This tractor is far less capable than my BX, which I didn't own at the time. I can't wait for some serious snowfall this year.

/ Moving Snow With A BX #12  
2 FEET HANDLES IT EASILY with loaded ag tires ,rear weight[hoe here] 4 wd and differential locked in
ALAN

Attachments

• 000_0096 (1016 x 762).jpg
    000_0096 (1016 x 762).jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 803
  • 100_0013 (1016 x 762).jpg
    100_0013 (1016 x 762).jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 708
   / Moving Snow With A BX #13  
RayCo said:
I moved 18" without much problem using an old Wheel Horse D180. Wheel Horse D-180 Events This tractor is far less capable than my BX, which I didn't own at the time. I can't wait for some serious snowfall this year.
===========
I've plowed many a 8 10 &12 inch snows off my driveway over the years with the little old Bolens 850 garden tractor with no problem.
It amuses me when people get concerned about a BXs ability to plow snow.
If a BX won't out perform the Bolens that's only 2 wheel drive there's something wrong with that picture.:D

/ Moving Snow With A BX #14  
Eric,

The FEL and rear blade will work on most snow falls, it is a really a matter of time and how much time you have and what it is worth to you. Just a FEL is a lot of backing up and dumping. If you get a lot of snow like Escavader does that stays during the winter, then the snow starts to build up. The snow gets higher and higher until you have no place to move it too. If you do not leave enough room on the sides of your driveway on the initial snowfall before you know it you will have no place to put the snow.

The advantage of a snowblower rear or front is you can move that snow far away on the initial pass and it does not build up. Down side is $$. In my view I think the snow removal options based on $$ are as follows:

1. Front snowblower with a cab, $$$$$$$, I think this is the best snow machine
2. Front snowblower with no cab, $$$$$$
3. Rear snowblower with a cab, $$$$$
4. Rear snowblower with no cab, $$$$
5. Front blade $$$$
6. Fel and Rear blade, $$$
7. Fel only $$
8. Rear blade only $

Based on time I think they follow the $$$ list above, that being the more $$ you spend the faster and warmer you will be. I guess the best is to just let someone do it for you, BUT that will reduce seat time.:D

Last edited:
   / Moving Snow With A BX #15  
NY_Yankees_Fan said:
Eric,

... In my view I think the snow removal options based on $$ are as follows:

1. Front snowblower with a cab, $$$$$$$, I think this is the best snow machine
2. Front blower with no cab, $$$$$$
3. Rear snowblower with a cab, $$$$$
4. Rear snowblower with no cab, $$$$
5. Fel and Rear blade, $$$
6. Fel only $$
7 Rear blade only $

.:D

I would add a hyd front blade in there after #4

John

/ Moving Snow With A BX #16  
Kind of amusing this discussion, here in central canada we have 5 to 10 inched regulary, I have a CK20 with rear 60 inch blower in the garage but not used it, still prefer the old case 442 hydrostatic with 48 inch belt drive front blower, it will easily re locate 12 inches of snow and 2 wheel drive at that. I Do plan on using the CK20 on the acreage when we move.

/ Moving Snow With A BX #17  
I think that NY_Yankees_Fan hit the nail on the head. You can certainly move snow with the FEL bucket, but it really comes down to how much time you have to spend clearing out the snow. I live on a mountain that gets significant snowfall over the winter, my drive is over a mile long to the county road, and several of the grades are between 9 and 12 percent. A FEL bucket would take me forever to clear out snow after a significant snow event. A photograph of my setup is below. I have to have chains and be in 4WD to get up the mountain while snowplowing (and my tires are filled). My six-way blade uses a skid steer attachment setup that hooks up the the FEL arms; it's manufactured by Borgford Manufacturing and Design in Colville, Washington. It's great for stacking snow, too, especially at turn-arounds and the wide switchback corners on the drive. I use the rear blade on offset to the right to push the snow along the side of the drive off over the road edge. It also makes for pulling snow away from the house and pole building much more efficient. This setup allows me to plow my drive rather quickly. I've read a few comments on TbN in the past that suggest that the loader arms could get torqued out of alignment with such an attachment. I can't fathom how this could be true since the blade is spring-loaded. Perhaps if I had the spring pins in and was pushing stumps with the blade I could torque the arms out of alignment, but the same would be true if I was pushing the stumps with the bucket on instead of the blade. I'd love to see photographs of loader arms that were torqued out of alignment by pushing snow if it's ever occurred to anyone on TbN.

Everyone's situation is different based on topography, distance, time available to plow, convenience, cost, snowfall event accumulations, typical type of snow (dry, wet, slush, icy), etc. Get a setup that works best for you and your budget.

Attachments

• MX5000DT-Front.jpg
    MX5000DT-Front.jpg
    638.1 KB · Views: 735
   / Moving Snow With A BX #18  
IdahoTractor,

I think that when the guys are talking about the loader arms getting torqued, they mean with the homemade front blades (hokey, like mine) that are not spring loaded.

BTW you have a fantastic batch of equipment there and from the sound of your property, you need it.

BD

/ Moving Snow With A BX #19  
Yankees fan summed up my thoughts well. I live in between Binghamton nad Elmira, NY, and we just don't get enough snow to warrant a blower. Besides. I am a school teacher/administrator, and I get the day off if we have any significant snow accumulation. That gives plenty of time to play and plow out the neighborhood!!
Will

/ Moving Snow With A BX #20  
It takes along time to move large storms with a bx and fel if you got a long drive like me.This is why for now i plow with a nice heated cab in an old 73 ford truck,its alot faster..I plan on a snowblower for my bx for next year,the wife hates me plowing on the lawn.I have a cab project underway for this winter,im trying to build a delux cab with all the bells and whistles.I had planned on a rear,but my mind has changed ,and im gonna pony up for a front and 7 ft rear blade.
Someone on here told me this is the ultimate setup,you can angle the blade with light amounts,and windrow it to one side then fire up your blower,and your back inside before you know it,
This time next year ,if it snows ill be sitting in a nice heated cab,with my favorite beverages,in a t shirt,listening to my in cab scanner,looking out the windsheild watching the snow flyout a front blower,hoping we get lots more:)
For now i still got the nice old ford,somehow im gonna miss it.
ALAN