Need Engine gasket set for 1980's L-275

/ Need Engine gasket set for 1980's L-275 #1  

Retlaw 66

Tractor
L-275 4x4
Hi guys,
I have my old L-275 engine somewhat apart for repairs after 3000+ hours.
I need an engine gasket set for the 3 cyl D1302-A engine.
Kubota dealer wants $290 :eek: for the upper and lower sets.
Is there another source for these???
Thanks!

Walt in Pa
L-275 4x4

/ Need Engine gasket set for 1980's L-275 #2  
I wouldn't even if I had a set for a quarter of the price!!!! Better yet free! If the gaskets aren't right(cheaper price still would sell them) they probably wouldn't work right. On diesels the compression si very important and if they are reproduced to thick then the engines don't start and right.
Sorry but I have seen problems with what you want to do!

/ Need Engine gasket set for 1980's L-275
Thanks, Art.
I realize the quality of aftermarket gaskets may differ than the gaskets sold by Kubota dealers. That is a good point....especially considering what the head gasket needs to withstand.
But who makes the gaskets sold by Kubota?
There must be other quality diesel gasket manufacturers out there.....or is my ole L-275 THAT obsolete that no other manufactures bother with them?:(

I did find gaskets on Sparex Incorporated. - Wholesale Distributor Of Tractor Parts (they're wholesale only), and Stevens Tractor
Does anyone have experience with them?

/ Need Engine gasket set for 1980's L-275 #4  
Retlaw 66 said:
Hi guys,
Thanks!

Walt in Pa
L-275 4x4

I would get a quote from tractorsmart.com; they are good helpful people there!

machmeter62 said:
I would get a quote from tractorsmart.com; they are good helpful people there!

I had been there, but the online catalog only showed a handfull of basic parts.
I returned to Tractorsmart armed with a list of part numbers, and Bingo!...everything I need.
Local dealer wanted $290 for the upper and lower gasket sets.
Tractorsmart price is $232:D That's a 20% discount!!:D :D

Colemanequip.com
and
messicks.com
returned pricing similar to Tractor smart.

The cylinder head looked pretty good to me, no obvious damage. It's now at the machine shop for 'professional' service. If it checks out okay, I will proceed with tearing down the short block.
I figured I 'might as well' recondition the cylinders since I already have it apart this far!
'Might as well' strip and repaint everything too.....:p
and wonder if new decals are still available?
Geeze...a couple of visits here, and I'm addicted!

/ Need Engine gasket set for 1980's L-275 #6  
Retlaw 66 said:
Geeze...a couple of visits here, and I'm addicted!

Well, just to let you know, we're expecting to see pictures of your project as it goes along. We love pictures here and most of us like project pictures even more! Welcome to TBN and good luck with the project.

And in addition to pictures, please share the details (if you don't mind). There will be plenty of folks considering projects like this and knowingh sources, prices, difficulites, etc is very helpful.

/ Need Engine gasket set for 1980's L-275 #7  
Retlaw 66 said:
Hi guys,

Often, all you really need is the head gasket. Other gaskets usually can
be substituted with orange RTV silicone. AND, if you can not get a head
gasket, I have used custom-made copper gaskets made out of copper
plate.

The gaskets arrived from Tractorsmart. But what I don't understand.... Prices for individual pieces of the upper gasket set reflect what the whole set sells for. Okay.
But the cost of the individual pieces of the lower gasket set adds up to about $80. But when purchased as the full lower gasket set, it's $134. WTH???
Prices from 2 other online sources are in line with Tractorsmart, so it doesn't appear to be an error. I'll have to call and find out what the deal is.

Otherwise, the project is moving along well!
The cylinder head checked out fine. It was cleaned, magnafluxed, resurfaced, and got a valve job to the tune of $200.
One problem I found was a badly scuffed piston on #2, below the pin, and on both sides. My machinist suggested it either overheated, or there is an issue with the injector. So I at least need one piston. There is some cylinder and ring wear (ring gap was 0.42"), minor rust pitting, and light scoring. I don't think it'll hone out, so I'll probably rebore.

This job has turned into a restoration! Most parts from the front half of the tractor (except axle) I took into work and glass-beaded. I love the look of clean parts! Now I have to build a paint hood in my garage so I can paint in these freezing weather.
I gotta get this think back together before the big snows....I have a 600 ft driveway to plow!

When I get my pics organized, I start a 'restoration thread!
Gotta go clean some parts.....

Oh yeah, any idea why Kubota wants $134 for $80 worth of (lower set)gaskets????