New hst plus or gst?

/ New hst plus or gst? #1  

dsn142

New member here,great site,loads of information.I was a John Deere fan but last year I needed a smaller tractor and decided to try a Kubota.I purchased a B2630HST with the La403 fel(I looked at the Deere 2520, close to $2300.00 more than the Kubota)and now I am sold on Kubota.Now My question,I am selling my B2630 and want to get a GL3240 with the La 724 fel,I am not sure if I should get the HST or GST? I do use the fel regularly,but I have heard pos and cons of the new HST.I liked the HST on my B2630,but the GL3240 is a bigger tractor and my Deere has a power reverser on it that works fine with a fel.I believe that the GST on the Kubota is about the same as the power rev on the Deere.
Anybody that owns a GL with a HST plus that has a some hours on it sure would like any feed back.
Thank You

/ New hst plus or gst? #2  
Go drive it. The debates are endless - I LOVE the HST. I don't have the HST+ but I've heard great things about it. If you do any loader work at all, you'll love HST - you just forget about the mechanics and move. It's great!

-Brian

/ New hst plus or gst? #3  
dsn142 said:
...Now My question,I am selling my B2630 and want to get a GL3240 with the La 724 fel,I am not sure if I should get the HST or GST? I do use the fel regularly,but I have heard pos and cons of the new HST.I liked the HST on my B2630,but the GL3240 is a bigger tractor and my Deere has a power reverser on it that works fine with a fel.I believe that the GST on the Kubota is about the same as the power rev on the Deere.
Anybody that owns a GL with a HST plus that has a some hours on it sure would like any feed back....
First -- Welcome to the TBN Kubota forums :)

I have about 165 hrs on my GL3240 HST+ since 8/16/07 (see signature for details). I put about 30 hours on a rented L39 with GST before buying my GL3240. I would chose the HST+ over the GST in a heart beat :)

Note: During most of those hours my GL3240 was configured as a TLB. I don't mow and have not used any PTO implements. YMMV

BTW I was initially disappointed in the HST+ Auto Throttle feature. Then some helpful TBN members pointed out that it could easily be adjusted with 2 - 10mm wrenches - DUH. After making the Auto Throttle adjustments, I am very pleased with the HST +. It has ALL of the good features of the HST you're used to on your B2630 + Auto Throttle, D-HS, Stall Guard etc.. Together they make the HST+ very comparable to the GST. The ONLY thing I now miss about the GST is the ability to walk though the complete range (12 forward, 8 reverse) without stopping. But I rarely need to do this.

For the last 125+ hours I've had Auto Throttle ON 95% of the time. I almost always have the HST set to M and use the D-HS (rabbit - turtle) and "cruise control" to replicate the GST ranges 4-8. Which BTW was what I used most on the L39's GST.

IMHO the HST+ combines the best of both worlds - HST & GST.

Talon Dancer

ps You may want to check out this thread about the HST +. Skip to near the end to avoid the whining by some guy called Talon Dancer:)

Last edited:
   / New hst plus or gst?
Talon dancer thanks for the information.I was going to try and make my decision based on people such as yourself who have had the HST plus for a while.

/ New hst plus or gst? #5  
Surely there are more TBN members with HST+ and/or GST experience that can help this new member :)

Talon Dancer

/ New hst plus or gst? #6  
My two cents: Go with the HST. I have no experience with the HST+, but I do have a Kubota with the GST and one with HST. I still find the GST cumbersome relative to the HST.

Danny

/ New hst plus or gst? #7  
DSN142,

Well, Talon Dancer has shamed me into responding. I bought an L3240 with GST a few months ago and I love it. Now for some disclaimers. I have a life total of 20 hrs in the seat of any kind of tractor; all of it on the L3240. Also, I have never operated an HST anything. So take my comments with a grain of salt.

I chose the GST to get another 1.5 HP at the PTO for mowing and future ground engaging tasks and because I love a good manual Gbox. I am extremely biased about the last bit, perhaps unreasonably so. Probably goes back to the Mack R600 Quadraplex lumber truck in my misspent youth. Old #17. Loved that truck.

It's the simplicity of the thing that I like. If your engine speed is right and your ground speed is wrong, then shift. If your ground speed is right, but your engine speed isn't, then shift. Otherwise forget about it and think about stability, low limbs, soft soil, angle of attack, etc. Of course you can always downshift in >anticipation< of doing some grunt work or driving downhill. You really don't need to use the clutch, but I do anyway.

As Brian says, go drive them both and make up your own mind. Either way, I suspect you'll be very happy. Let us know what you decide.

Jim

/ New hst plus or gst?
Thanks to everyone for their input.Trying to sell my B2630 with la403 fel with rear tires filled $14,100.00.I have had it in the newspaper here in Missouri,but only 1 call in 3 weeks.I have a price on a GL3240GST LA724 fel with a 66"bucket, rear tires filled.$19,100.00.If I decide to go with HST plus add another $400.00.
I did test drive both GST and HST plus,both are nice,but I guess my concern is that with any new first production (HST plus)I was always told wait until all the bugs are worked out.The reason why of my first post ,Maybe its not like that with tractors(I HOPE).
Let me know what you think of the prices of my used B2630 and the new GL 3240.

/ New hst plus or gst? #9  
To me there is no decision to make. I wouldn't buy a tractor without HST. I would probably have bought an M series instead of an L were it not for this exact issue. I particularly like the new HST plus. I just can't see any criteria by which a GST or manual shift provides any advantage in any way over an HST.

From what I've seen the folks who go with GST or manual shift do so because that's just what they know and are comfortable with, and I completely respect that - after all, you should buy what you want, not what I want. But for me, there's no comparison.

By the way, I had the same complaint with the Auto Throttle over-reving the engine relative to the tractor movement and speed. Like TallonDance, I made the simple adjustment that someone here discovered and have it tuned just as I like it now.

/ New hst plus or gst? #10  
dsn142 said:
I did test drive both GST and HST plus,both are nice,but I guess my concern is that with any new first production (HST plus)I was always told wait until all the bugs are worked out.

I had the same concern before buying my L5740HSTC, but a query here on TBN about early quality issues with the Grand L40 series yielded almost no issues at all. Here's the thread with everyone's responses http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/108004-satisfaction-check-grand-l40.html

One thing to keep in mind is that HST technology has been around for a VERY long time and is very mature and reliable. It is also used in some VERY large equipment - stuff that puts our tractors to shame - like some of the big Cat dozers.