Kubota B6100 information needed

/ Kubota B6100 information needed #1  

WVBill

Veteran Member
Tractor
Sold my Kubota B6100 when I moved to WA
Hi, I'm getting a great "deal" on a 1979 B6100.
I live in West Virginia and we have a house on 31/2
acres of ex-pasture land. My Father-in-law who lives
in California said I can have his tractor
if I "just come get it".
Well, I may be dumb but I ain't stupid - I'm hitting
the road in a couple of weeks to drive cross country
and back to get it.

Can you all help me out with a few things understanding
what I'm getting?
He tells me it is a '79 B6100 4WD w/ 6 speed tranny.
It has a B219 Kubota loader with 38" bucket,
An EK-36 36" Ganon scraper, and a FS850 Kubota rototiller.

Here are my questions:
Is this a Cat 0 or Cat 1 3 point hitch?
What type of hydraulic control is on the 3 point hitch,
(lift only, position control, draft control)?
What type of clutch arrangement is the PTO, (Trans driven,
live w/ dual clutch or independent)?
Does the Loader have double-acting hydraulics (i.e.
both lift and down-force)?
Ever hear of the "Ganon" scraper?

I've never owned a tractor before, found discussions of
PTOs, hitches and hydraulics on the web and want to
learn more so I can ask good questions of him when
I pick it up.

Thanks for your help.

/ Kubota B6100 information needed #2  
WVBill,
You ask a lot of interesting questions for someone who's never owned a tractor before. I'll try to help as best I can. I have a B7100 that is approximately the same age.

From my B5100/B6100/B7100 Operator's manual (you can purchase one new from the dealer for under $20), the B6100 has a 3 cylinder diesel engine rated at 14 hp @2800 rpm.

3 Point Lift: The 3pt hitch is category "1". It is rated to lift 400 lbs at the end of the lift arms. The tractor does not have position or draft control (you can manually position the 3pt implement full up or down or anywhere in between; you just cannot easily return to previously used position).

PTO: The B6100 has a 3-speed PTO; you'll most likely only use the slowest speed (540rpm), the faster PTO speeds were for some of the older Kubota finish mowers. The PTO does not have a live clutch; when you depress the clutch you diesngage the gear-driven transmission and the PTO driven equipment. For wide open areas this is no problem; for jobs where you have to stop and start and/or change speeds often you could wear out the clutch easily. REVERSE DIRECTION PTO?: The B6100's PTO operates in the standard direction (it turns right or clockwise as viewed from the rear according to the manual). If you hear somone warning you that it turns left (counter-clockwise), they are refering to the B6000's PTO.

Thermo-siphon Cooling System: The pressurized cooling system does not have a water pump nor thermostat. I won't go into all of the details here, just don't let the antifreeze mix exceed 50% and pre-mix the solution before pouring it into the radiator.

I have no information on the loader, tiller, or scraper. However, I will say that I have never seen a Kubota loader that did not have a "down" force. Some loaders were controlled with a single joystick while the older models had two separate levers to control the up/down and roll functions.

I don't know if you're just in the mood to drive coast-to-coast, but I'd think that it'd be cheaper to have it shipped (that statement also depends on how much time you have and how much you value your time). I've made that drive a few times and hope to never have to do it again. I've seen people rent a 16' U-Haul and load the tractor up in the back for the trip.

/ Kubota B6100 information needed #3  
Yeah, that is definately worth going after. The Gannon boxblade and Kubota tiller are first class. 4WD makes it a really nice tractor.

Have fun...

/ Kubota B6100 information needed
Thanks very much, Kelvin.

I'm really looking forward to becoming a tractor owner. There are a "hundred" things around my place
that I'll be able to do alot more easily than I can now. I've been like a sponge reading all the information on
the tractor forums. Getting the basic technical information down and I'm sure I'll be back with "how do I..."

I don't really relish the idea of a coast-to-coast-to-coast "cannonball run" but my wife and I will trade off driving and it will give us the chance (though short) to see her parents.

I didn't really check on the cost to have it shipped - don't know where I'd go for something like that. - certainly not "The Packaging Store" or UPS...(?)

I will be loading the tractor up on a U-haul 16 foot "auto transport" trailer for the trip - look for me on Interstate 40 sometime between September 5th and 10th. U-Haul doesn't have a flat-bed trailer so I think we're going to have to build a platform or something between the "rails" on the trailer to accomodate the narrow wheel tread width of the tractor. But my father-in-law is an ex SeaBee so I'm sure we'll come up with something.

Thanks again for the info - "I'll be back".