BX trans concerns

/ BX trans concerns #1  

kub1

My BX1830 goes through spells where it is extremely hard to get out of low range. It goes in and out of high range o.k. and goes into low range easy enough but pulling the lever out of low range is a bear. I'm afraid I'm going to break something. In the summer it began going in and out of low range very easily until I started using high range a lot while doing a project where I had to travel a distance. Hydro fluid is full and everything seems to be right. Thanks for any comments.

/ BX trans concerns #2  
I notice the same thing with my B series. Sometimes it is very easy and smooth moving in and out of L & H and sometimes very sticky and hard. Not sure if there is an adjustment for this or not. Maybe someone with a WSM can answer that.

/ BX trans concerns #3  
My 2200 does the same thing. Also does that in 2-4 WD.

If you move it forward or backward an inch with the hydro, it will shift easily.

I think they all do that.

ron

/ BX trans concerns #4  
I just bought a used low hour BX 1500 at a huge discount from a John Deere dealer. They told me it would need the trans taken apart because It was stuck in low. Couldn't move it into neutral with out a fight.

I took the tire off and used a can of spray greese on all of the linkage. I can now move it with one finger no problem. :eek:

Give this a try and good luck. ;)

/ BX trans concerns #5  
RonR said:
My 2200 does the same thing. Also does that in 2-4 WD.

If you move it forward or backward an inch with the hydro, it will shift easily.

I think they all do that.

ron
I have found this to work for me on the 2-4 WD also.. see my above solution for the High to Low ;)

/ BX trans concerns #6  
There is always a potential binding with range changes when in four wheel drive. The reason for this would be a lack of balance from the front to rear drivetrain with wheel diameter. This can be corrected from altering the air pressure. The problem can also be from the hydro still holding the transmission under load. This can problem can be reduced by using the brake to stop the tractor. The adjustment on the hydro petal could be off holding a load against it but that would be very rare. This advice is allowing for the assumption that proper lubrication of linkges has been maintained.

/ BX trans concerns
Thanks for all the suggestions. I took the tire off and lubed the linkage and that seems to take care of the problem. Thanks again for comments.
Jim:)

/ BX trans concerns #8  
kub1 said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I took the tire off and lubed the linkage and that seems to take care of the problem. Thanks again for comments.
Jim:)
Jim, glad it worked, now get in some seat time....:D ;)

/ BX trans concerns #9  
FWIW... My BX2350 doesn't like to shift from 4WD to 2WD if the front wheels are turned sharp. Straighten the wheels and it shifts just fine.

/ BX trans concerns #10  
This is a known issue and has been widely discussed here. The linkage, 2wd/4dw and the HI/LO linkage seem to bind. You can see them if you lift the seat (don't need to remove the tire), and use WD40 or another spray lube on the linkage. This will resolve nearly 100% of the issues.

I had the same issue when my BX was relatively new.

paul