Snow Stuck in the snow, in a ditch

/ Stuck in the snow, in a ditch #1  

richardbro

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
Tried helping out the neighbour by removing the plowed snowbank from his driveway with my BX24. Unfortunately, I didn't quite judge where his ditch was and in went the front right wheel and up went the rear left wheel.

Got the tow-strap out and pulled the tractor out with my Honda CRV. I have one of those double-hooked web-nylon (or whatever) tow straps. Couldn't quite figure out where to attach the strap to the BX24 - I just wrapped it around the 3PH frame but then the strap got wedged in and slightly damaged.

Is there anywhere harmless to wrap a tow-strap on the rear of the BX24 (for next time :D ) ?

/ Stuck in the snow, in a ditch #2  
not sure about the bx24, but my bx23 has a spot for a hitchball. It is on a plate on the frame down low.

/ Stuck in the snow, in a ditch #3  
Next time use the loader to push up & back. (Assuming you have the loader on!)

/ Stuck in the snow, in a ditch #4  
The BX 24 has a draw bar located low between and behind the rear wheels. I got a clevis that had a pin that fits through the hole for mounting a trailer ball. The clevis is also where I run my nylon straps for securing it to the trailer. It is the only place the safety police say you are supposed to pull anything.

/ Stuck in the snow, in a ditch #5  
I've been in the same situation as you where RichBro....

You should first try to get the BX out itself, but tie a strap to a vehicle & tie the strap on high on the BX, to prevent it from flipping over.

I've use the strap wrap around the top of the roll bar (mine has Cab which will not let the strap slip down) to prevent from flipping & snowblow my way down the slope with the BX.

Once your tractor in line up straight with the hill, the BX will normally take you out & last resort the car can help pull it out.

Tip of the Day...Be carefull not to roll the tractor anytime it's pull by another vehicule.

/ Stuck in the snow, in a ditch #6  
I wouldn't want to pull on anything up high on any tractor to get it out of a snow filled ditch. The correct place to pull on it would be the drawbar, and preferably using a clevis, as was mentioned. Carefull placement of the pulling vehicle and attaching it low on it also would probably cure most of the tendencies to roll. If it is not stable enough to pull with the drawbar, you need help anyway, so enlist some good help.
David from jax

/ Stuck in the snow, in a ditch #7  
bird1968 said:

You should first try to get the BX out itself, but tie a strap to a vehicle & tie the strap on high on the BX, to prevent it from flipping over.

I've use the strap wrap around the top of the roll bar (mine has Cab which will not let the strap slip down) to prevent from flipping & snowblow my way down the slope with the BX.

Once your tractor in line up straight with the hill, the BX will normally take you out & last resort the car can help pull it out.

Tip of the Day...Be carefull not to roll the tractor anytime it's pull by another vehicule.

You have to be kidding me. You never pull a tractor or hook anything up above the axle on a tractor. To do so will greatly increase the risk of flipping the tractor. You always use the drawbar or at the very least the rear axle if you don't have a drawbar or anything better but NEVER PULL FROM THE ROPS or anywhere above the rear axle

/ Stuck in the snow, in a ditch
toytruck said:
Next time use the loader to push up & back. (Assuming you have the loader on!)

Tried that, but it didn't work. If I had the backhoe on that might have helped.

/ Stuck in the snow, in a ditch #9  
bird1968 said:

To prevent the tractor from fliping over ( this BX tractor will go over easy) the strap is use up high...but do not pull from there.

I agree...my mistake....it should have wrote .....last resort the car can help pull it out & tie/pull from the draw bar...

Sorry about that.

Bird

/ Stuck in the snow, in a ditch #10  
Did you try the differential lock and front assist?

ron