bx24 - anyone ever had mid-mower pto pop off?

/ bx24 - anyone ever had mid-mower pto pop off? #1  

ericecon

Mine did. I used it for about 90 minutes along with my trac-vac off the rear PTO. I switched to rear pto only to use the trac-vac alone with the extension hose/wand and used it for about 20 minutes. Then i went back to mower and trac-vac and when i started the pto the mower pto shaft popped off.

Unfortunately, it broke off the transmission oil filter and that took the threads with it. The dealer picked it up this morning. Before I gave him the filter he looked under the tractor and said that the shaft broke a hydrolic line.

Anyone ever had this occur?

I'm pretty sure the pto shaft was locked on.

/ bx24 - anyone ever had mid-mower pto pop off? #2  
Sorry to hear of it.
Yes, there have been several posts here of this happening.
Unfortunately, it is mainly due to the locking collar not being fully seated when the MMM drive shaft is connected to the PTO, as most if not all had just recently reconnected their MMM's.

That locking collar has got to be seated fully and the drive shaft pushed up fully onto the PTO shaft.
Best way to ensure it's fully seated is to give the shaft a good couple of strong tugs once you've got connected. IF it doesn't move you've got it.

/ bx24 - anyone ever had mid-mower pto pop off? #3  
I recently reconnected my MMM and the "slider" spline portion of the driveshaft...the middle part that takes up length as the deck goes up and down...had gotten quite stiff. And the spline under the tractor had about 3 lbs of dust stuck to it. As such, it was nearly impossible to move and lock the collar once I had everything when everything was wedged together. I knew it wasn't locked, but a "less initiated" owner could easily make the mistake that it was good to go.

Liberal use of WD-40 got things freed up enough to get through the task at hand, but I'm going to be a little more careful of caring for this vital connection as this thread indicates...that's some tender stuff under thar.

Real shame, Mr. Ericecon. Hopefully the dealer is kind.

/ bx24 - anyone ever had mid-mower pto pop off? #4  
After hearing horror stories from my dealer I became a paranoid freak about triple checking the mid-PTO driveshaft. When the shaft lets go at 2200 RPM it can apparently do a lot of damage. Think transmission housing replacement熔uch.

/ bx24 - anyone ever had mid-mower pto pop off? #5  
yeah it has happened before, been a few posts here in the last 3 years. usually same result (bashing the tranny filter). never happened on mine, but i double-check the locking collar every chance I get.

wipe it down and douche it good with WD40 and it clicks pretty solid. EVERYTHING gets covered with crud up there during mowing season.

hope it works out OK

/ bx24 - anyone ever had mid-mower pto pop off? #6  
rdsaustintx said:
douche it good
Now that's a word I need to use more. Good visual. Very specific, actually...hose it up in there and let it all freely drain out and take the gunk with it. Love it!

I use "Prophylactic" in a sentence occasionally and get snickers. Now if I could use Douche, that would really get them on tilt.

/ bx24 - anyone ever had mid-mower pto pop off? #7  
The dealer I bought my 2350 from definately made it a point to tell me to make sure that shaft was secure. They also told me there was alot of important parts it could smash when it came loose. They told me to keep lubing the collar and the sleave to make sure the sleave moved easily to pop back on and then give it a few tugs. This has definately helped.

/ bx24 - anyone ever had mid-mower pto pop off?
Thanks for the replies so far.

The locking collar did move freely. Heck, I was able to work it with one hand while rotating the PTO with the other. Once i believed it was locked on, I didn't push and pull and it didn't budge.

I'm getting nervous about cost naturally. If I have to pay a lot anyone know if this kind of mishap is covered by homeowners insurance?

/ bx24 - anyone ever had mid-mower pto pop off? #10  
My insurance policy. I nearly loss my filter sliding the MMM under the tractor. Part of the MMM hit the filter and made a small dent, no leaks.

Attachments

• tractor7web.JPG
    tractor7web.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 278