Skidding logs

/ Skidding logs #1  

smfcpacfp

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
Any idea on hooking up a chain (tow hook, etc) to the back of my B3030 tractor to skid logs. I would think something like that would be standard.

/ Skidding logs #2  
Hi, I would be very careful about doing that with your tractor. I can't remember the post or how long ago it was, but a fellow had tried that with his tractor and ripped a big hung of metal along with his top link out of his rear housing. He had some pics posted and I'm sure it was an expensive repair. Nice looking tractor, bet that cab is nice.

Good luck

/ Skidding logs #3  
I have a Farmi winch on the back of my Kubota L3000DT which has an attachment bar to attach an choker chain to for pulling logs. The attachment bar is about the same level as the lower arms on the 3PH so when the 3PH is raised to transport height the attachment point of the chain is usually lower than the rear axle.

Pulling a heavy weight, such as a log, with the 3PH with the attachment point above the axle greatly increases the chance for the tractor to tip over backwards. Adding weight to the front end of the tractor with lessen but not eliminate that possibility.

As far as pulling with the 3PH that is what it was made for as long as the pulling is on the lower arms then there is a pushing force on the top link. When pulling with the top link all the force is on one point rather than the two lower lift arms.

To help the top link attachment point on your tractor see if there is a top link bracket available for a backhoe installation. Most 3PH backhoe set-ups have a bracket that reinforces the top link. A backhoe puts a lot of pulling strain on the top link, also using a rear blade in reverse puts a lot of strain on the top link.

Randy

/ Skidding logs #4  
I have made a contrivance that attaches to the three point arms for towing stuff. It ain't pretty but does work.:D

Attachments

• toolbar.JPG
    toolbar.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 657
   / Skidding logs #5  
You can use a standard clevis on the drawbar since that woud keep the forces below the axle of your tractor, but you have to be very careful that the logs don't catch on a root, or other obstacle. One thing you can do is use a car hood under the front of the logs. A better solution is to use a logging arch which raises the front of the logs off the ground. If you do a search on the internet for ATV logging equipment you will get some good ideas. Novajack.com is another place that has many ideas for small scale logging operations that would be useful with our smaller tractors. A Farmi, or similar logging winch is the best, and most expensive solution.
That's a great looking place, and tractor you have, and the Corvette isn't bad either! :) ( I remember setting them up in a Chevy garage when they retailed for around $4,000.)

/ Skidding logs #6  
The most simple solution is to get a draw-bar and chain hooks that attach to it. I bought that setup to skid logs, and that way there is only load on the lower link arms. Granted I only pull logs a very short distance to my woods road and I cut them up to fit on a small trailer. It might work for you but it depends on the size and length of the log you are pulling and how far you have to go.

/ Skidding logs #8  

Attachments

• culverts.jpg
    culverts.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 455
  • Close-up.jpg
    Close-up.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 392
  • long-log.jpg
    long-log.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 429
  • pile-of-brush.jpg
    pile-of-brush.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 416
   / Skidding logs
Westendorf-RR said:
These will make hauling those logs effortless - no trips of the tractor, no chains, less wear on your tractor and very economical since there are no cylinders to power the teeth. They work off the bucket cylinders on your FEL. Videos on Front-End Loaders by Westendorf: loader for tractor, shade canopy, wagons, manure & landscaping equipment.

I like the Edward Sissorhand claws.:D

How much is something like that? I visited your excellent web site but saw no price information.

/ Skidding logs #10  
Since I am not sure of your loader model, I have based the fit on the HP of your tractor. You'd be looking at either a BC-3000 (around $850) or the BC-4000 (around $1,050). If you have a skid-steer adapter on your loader and want to use that, there is a unit with hydraulic cylinders (BC-7000 that is around $2,200) then you'd need an open hyd. port on the tractor.

Attachments

• 7000-on-loader.jpg
    7000-on-loader.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 336