Doing smart is smarter than thinking smart

/ Doing smart is smarter than thinking smart #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
By the title here's what I mean:

First winter at new house... very long driveway... at the end, there is a deep ditch on both sides where the driveway meets the road. (Enter into the minds-eye)
Me, tractor and snow thrower out at the road with the deep mushy stuff... shear pin in blower breaks. OK - apparently it didn't like the speed I was feeding it the mush... replace and try slower. next pin goes... OK - time to go after the goop with the loader...
Hey - look - deep ditch... I can push the goop in there with the loader - no piles to manage. (pushing) Humm - better be careful about where the edge is - if I get a tire down in there - I'm screwed. (dump bucket with load one into ditch). Looks good - I like this plan. Reverse. I'm a genius. lower bucket and push load 2 of goop into ditch. boy, this was a good idea. dump loader... oops... too far... why did I do that - I just told myself not to go over the edge!

Yes - I barely got it out - dug a hole with the rear in diff lock mode about 8" deep in the gravel driveway... used the loader to fill said hole with "gravel and snow" mixture... I got lucky.

So - to all the experienced operators out there - and the newer operators too... Know this - we all make mistakes - even with the best of intentions!

/ Doing smart is smarter than thinking smart #2  
You might want to try putting one of those reflector sticks (plastic or metal stick with round reflector on top) right at the edge of the ditch so that you have a reference point when the snow is real deep on where to stop. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

/ Doing smart is smarter than thinking smart #3  
Show me somebody that claims he's never done anything like that and I'll show you a liar. Even the best operator in the world is prone to making mistakes. That's why they're called accidents. "Doing smart" also means being able to get yourself out of these predicaments, and you did well.
Hang in there!!!!:D :D :D

/ Doing smart is smarter than thinking smart #4  
Adam23 said:
You might want to try putting one of those reflector sticks (plastic or metal stick with round reflector on top) right at the edge of the ditch so that you have a reference point when the snow is real deep on where to stop. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

Or traffic cones. I use them all the time when working around stuff I can't afford to bump.

/ Doing smart is smarter than thinking smart #5  
rdsaustintx said:
Or traffic cones. I use them all the time when working around stuff I can't afford to bump.

What a great idea rdsaustintx ! I have a dozen or so red cones in my horse trailer we use to set courses at horse shows. You don't have to worry about driving a post in frozen ground and can move them easily. And they are very visible.

Tom

/ Doing smart is smarter than thinking smart #6  
Great story fish, I'm only laughing because I have done the exact same thing. Even down to the dimensions of the hole dug by the rear tire!

/ Doing smart is smarter than thinking smart #7  
Adam23 said:

Yep, I get mine out before the first snow.

/ Doing smart is smarter than thinking smart #8  
Adam23 said:
In high mountain passes they often mark the edge of the road with tall (6-12'+) sticks so that the snow blowers/plows know where it is. Seems like a good idea.

BTW here in Central Texas we mark our driveways with popsicle sticks :D

Talon Dancer

/ Doing smart is smarter than thinking smart #9  
Here in Florida we lay the popsicle sticks on their side. Keeps the hurricanes from blowing them away!
David from jax

/ Doing smart is smarter than thinking smart
Regarding the posts - I had gotten half the 4/10th of a mile long driveway + turnaround marked with posts BEFORE it snowed and the ground froze... next year I'll just start driving them in in July! :D
As for cones - out by the road they would A) get plowed away and B) be covered instantly! But that is a good idea for some other spots... Like Texas :p