Oil & Fuel Should I have changed the oil filter also?

/ Should I have changed the oil filter also? #1  

teeravis1

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4044R
I did the 100 hr oil change this afternoon. I didn't change the oil filter because the manual only calls out to change the oil, not the filter. This seems weird to me because on any vehicle I have ever owned I change the filter every time I change the oil. But this is my first tractor and I figure Kubota would be much more knowledgable than me. But now I am wondering if I should have changed the filter also, because I don't know what kind of oil the dealer used on my 50 hr oil change. So if I didn't change the filter it means there is some of the previous oil in the system. Now if the oil isn't the same as what the dealer previously used is that an issue? My manual states (unfortunately I didn't notice this until after I did it) that you should not mix oils of different viscositys or makes and if you do change oils, make sure you get all of the previous oil out. Do I need to change the oil now again and also replace the filter, or will I be all right until my next service? All input is appreciated. - Thanks Trav

/ Should I have changed the oil filter also? #2  
Did your dealer change the filter at the 50hr service? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. If not, I'd change the filter and top off back to full.

/ Should I have changed the oil filter also? #3  
Not changing the filter does not make since to me. I had a friend do this whith his cars, change the filter every other change. A filter is less than $5 at any Autozone or O'rileys. Your tractor was a large investment. I always cross my filters over to Fram or another major brand so I am not locked into the dealer for them then change the oil and filter every 50 hours on my tractors.

As for the mixing of oils I would not sweat it. You probably have more oil on the internals of the engine left behind than in the filter. From now on, I would always change the filter every time a oil change is called for. That goes for hydraulics also.

Chris

/ Should I have changed the oil filter also? #4  
I'll agree with Diamondpilot, why change the oil without changing the filter. The filter doesn't cost that much & I'd rather be safe than sorry. Why put clean oil though a dirty filter! And use a name brand filter. ~~ grnspot110

/ Should I have changed the oil filter also? #5  
I, too, am one who always changes the filter when I change the oil. But in this case, where the oil was changed without changing the filter and we don't know for sure whether the oil that was put in it is the same brand and viscosity as the oil which was drained out, and the question is whether or not to change the oil again, I'd go with the recommendation of shvl73 whether the dealer changed the filter at 50 hours or not. In other words, I'd change the filter and top off the oil level and not worry about it.

/ Should I have changed the oil filter also? #6  
teeravis1 said:
I did the 100 hr oil change this afternoon. I didn't change the oil filter because the manual only calls out to change the oil, not the filter... But now I am wondering if I should have changed the filter also...

Don't worry about it; what you did was fine. The cheapest and most important thing that you can do for your engine is to change the oil frequently. When the oil is changed frequently, the engine runs cleaner, and a quality filter will remain effective for several oil changes.

Some TBN members may recall a time when practically every vehicle manufacturer recommended changing the filter every second oil change. The older vehicles treated in this manner ran very well, and many of them are still going strong today.

However, it is also known that there are significant differences in the quality of today's oil filters. If you don't trust the quality of your filter brand, then change the filter at every oil change.

/ Should I have changed the oil filter also?
The dealer did change the oil filter at the 50 hr service. I have already ran the tractor, moved it out of the garage back to where it gets parked. So any old oil that was in the filter is already mixed in with the new oil. So my two options are to leave it until the next service, or drain out all the oil, change the filter this time and then fill it up again with new oil. Well guys, whats the verdict?

/ Should I have changed the oil filter also? #8  
Not changing the filter every time is the norm on many cars nowadays.
That being said I change mine (filter) everytime if I'm following the manufacturers schedule.
If I'm changing the oil early for some reason, which I frequently do on my motorcycle and my tractor, then I may leave the filter through some oil change cycles, figuring just because the oil is new doesn't mean any more contaminents are in the system for the filter to catch since the total cycle is below manufacturer recommended intervals.
With very few exceptions oils are compatible so I wouldn't worry about the small amount left in the filter being a different brand/weight.
Bottom line- forget about it and quit worrying. Or if you can't forget about it and quit worrying change it all again:D

/ Should I have changed the oil filter also? #9  
Don't obsess about it. If you want to feel better, go do something to make the wife happy. It will pay more dividends than draining out the oil and putting on a new filter.

/ Should I have changed the oil filter also? #10  
I changed my oil this wk/ed and changed the filter, too. There was enough oil in the filter that I will always change the $10 filter (Mobil 1) since this tractor is about what I paid for my last 3 vehicles... I even poured new oil in and let it drain out... oops, wait, I did that by accident!! :eek: :p