Snow Snow Plowing with front blade

/ Snow Plowing with front blade #1  

BizDoc

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
I had in the past always plowed with a rear blade with my New Holland. However, This year when purchasing the B3030 I also purchased a front end hydrolic blade for snow plowing:D .

The dealer showed me how to raise and lower the blade to the ground with the posts and shoes on each side of the tractor. he said these keep the front blade from digging into the pavement. I put the blade on today and tried the blade with the posts/shoes resting on the ground and the blade up about an eighth of an inch off the pavement. So the blade does not leave any marks on the pavement, but the Shoes leave white streaks everywhere I push the blade:eek: . Is this normal or is there something I'm missing here?

/ Snow Plowing with front blade #2  
Normal. The metal shoes are going to leave marks, less one everything is good and frozen for the winter. If you lower it to the point the cutting edge is on the pavement, the shoes won't leave much of a mark, but the cutting edge sure will! I suppose an alternative would be to add a squeegee under the cutting edge, or perhaps a nylon cutting edge, and leave the shoes up higher.... or even off.

/ Snow Plowing with front blade #3  
There was a recent post on someone adding heavy rubber squeegee to the front blade on a BX. They were very happy with it.

/ Snow Plowing with front blade
I did see the squeegee post about a week ago and have been considering it, but wasn't sure of the impact the rubber piece would have. Now I understand. We're to get some snow Thursday and this weekend. I'll see what happens. If I take the unit to the dealer this winter for the 50 hr checkup I may have the rubber put on then.

Thank you both.

/ Snow Plowing with front blade #5  
I'm the guy with the squeegee equipped front blade.

90423d1196616077-issues-picture-posting-plow01.jpg

In regards to seeing marks from the skid shoes? Was the asphalt wet and was the blade in float position? I have had no marking from the skid shoes on a wet driveway even over sealer?

Looks like we are set for a additional test on the squeegee equipped front blade this weekend. :cool:

I hadn't thought about that, but I was not in the float position. That would place more downward pressure on the front.

Do you continue to use the skid shoes with the squeegee? Did you install the squeegee yourself or have the dealer install it?

/ Snow Plowing with front blade #7  
Yup that "no float" most likely didn't help. Yes I use the skid shoes with the squeegee. The squeegee is set to ride just 1/8th" over the driveway as my drive is very level.
Squeegee is most likely over kill but considering sealing the driveway is not my favorite thing to do and that the first 100 feet of my driveway is shared and a happy neighbor makes for a better neighborhood.:D

Squeegee just bolts on to the bottom of the BX2763a blade in the holes that are for the replacable blade edge. Dealer was going to bring me the blade in pieces but I guess he had time on his hands as when it came it was together. :) Nice dealer!

I'm sure not using float didn't help, and I guess running it against the dry asphalt didn't help either. I would suppose it would be different if the driveway were wet and would therefore just slide instead of scrape.

Snow's comming tomorrow so I'll be able to check it out then. Funny, my wife gets all concerned about this snow thing, and because I don't share in her snow pessimistic view she gets ouchy when I say Let it snow, I'm ready.

Thank you.

/ Snow Plowing with front blade #9  
I'm also in PA and I hear 2 to 4 inches and my personal favorite "freezing rain". I've lived in Colorado, Connecticut and now Pennsylvania so my view of weather is it doing whatever I look outside and see it doing.
I think you will find the skid shoe marks will not be there on a weather lubricated driveway.
Enjoy the snow but remember that freezing rain is nature's way of thinning the herd. :cool:

/ Snow Plowing with front blade #10  
I have the same tractor (B3030) with the Kubota front blade and it does not leave any marks on my asphalt driveway when plowing snow. I always plow in float mode unless I am back dragging snow away from say the garage door etc were I want some down pressure. I don't think a rubber edge is needed although I have thought about adding a rubber edge (snow deflector) at the top of the blade like a lot of truck plows have to keep snow from coming over the top ;) .

They are forcasting 6 - 10 inches here in Connecticut tomorrow (Thursday) and then a Nor'Easter storm this coming Saturday into Sunday. Looks like I am going to have some tractor fun in the next few days :D .

Norm