Big bucket leaf moving

/ Big bucket leaf moving #1  

RedDirt

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23, Wards 16HP HST Garden Tractor, (previous) D2 Logging Cat
I built this big bucket for my scut to move raked leaves to a central burn area. The bucket is almost 2cuyd capacity (1.97 struck)...and it works!

The bucket in the photos is a wooden prototype but built strong enough to function to see if it would work and see if any modifications were needed in the design. I'll post the prototype construction in the Build-It Yourself forum.

The bucket is not "self loading". Unless you had an enormous pile I don't think you could "scoop up" a load. I use my small tractor homebuilt rake to load the big bucket. Two or three pushed loads of the rake fills the bucket. Sometimes I need a small bit of pitchfork work to top it off once the bucket is curled. I'll also get photos of the landscape rake to Build-It Yourself. It has served me well the past 7 years and continues to excel in its job.

BTW - The big bucket is designed so that the ends detach, the top folds down against the back and the pair of these fold down onto the bucket bottom. You could add hooks to it and hang it on the wall like a thick table top!

Enter the Dynamic Duo!
1 Dynamic duo_sm .JPG

The Bucket opening is 6'-8" wide x 3'-10" high
2 Fill bucket 1_sm.JPG

Load two
3 Fill bucket 2_smJPG.jpg

One modification I'll do is to make the next bucket wider. This is too tight of a fit for my 6'-4" rake.
4 Fill bucket 3.JPG

Curl and Go
5 Fill bucket - full_sm.JPG

Boy this is easier than a pitch fork and a trailer!
6 One dump load_sm.JPG

Once the pile is burned down a bit I plop on another load.
7 Approach fire_sm.JPG

A nice thing about dumping is that the pile is "loose". I used to push into burn piles with my rake and piles took longer to burn because they were compacted without as much air space.
8 Dump on fire_sm.JPG

Ahh. Where's the marshmallows
9 Fires into night_sm.JPG

/ Big bucket leaf moving #2  
Kudo's for figuring out a way to work both tractors and not your back :D

/ Big bucket leaf moving #3  
When you call that a proto-type are you meaning that you plan to build one out of steel? I would just keep using that one - it works and looks like it works great. No reason to have the heavy duty steel and add all that weight to the front. Great job and one **** of an idea

/ Big bucket leaf moving #4  
Great idea, but I am more interested in your rake. How about a few pictures and details.

How does it work with the small graden tractor?

Curt

/ Big bucket leaf moving #5  
RedDirt said:
... Enter the Dynamic Duo! ...

Great work in designing useful attachments.
Wonderful job at photograping achievements for TBN members.
Thanks Red!

/ Big bucket leaf moving
UPRAISER said:
Great idea, but I am more interested in your rake. How about a few pictures and details.

How does it work with the small garden tractor?

Curt

The rake is a huge success. It was built in lieu of the more common landscape rakes with the curved spring teeth due to weight and dollar budgets. I'll get photos in Build-It Yourself as soon as I have the chance.

It seems/appears lightweight but takes much more abuse than it looks. It pulls a heck of a load and pushes even more. The rake teeth are replacement rubber mounted hay equipment teeth available at TSC and elsewhere, < $2.00 ea. The rubber mounts let individual teeth flex over small obstructions like buried but exposed rocks and roots.

The old Wards HST tractor (late '70's I think) has an implement raise/lower cylinder. It was one of the differences between a "lawnmower" and a "garden tractor". I recall the cylinder is only 1 1/2" x 6" x 1/2". Very limited but connects to front or rear via a steel rod connection. Geometry of an "L" link in the mechanism increases the lift to about 10" at the drawbar. The hitch is a one point connection on a flat drawbar.

It seems most of the new lawn tractors have an electric raise/lower attachment (when available). Maybe this would work if you don't have hydraulics. Another option would be a manual lever similar to what used to be on the old Gibson tractors.

Adam23,
You're right the wood box works fine and I'll keep using it until it breaks. Eventually it will (break) but I may get several years out of this one. The next generation would be of light sheet metal over metal stud framing members. Only the bottom and back need to be stout and uneven then the back can be pretty lightweight if reinforced correctly. I would keep the weight down to less than 100 pounds.

/ Big bucket leaf moving #7  
How about a wooden frame with a metal netting sides (e..g, chicken wire or something....).

I'd be interested in photos of how it's attached to the FEL.

/ Big bucket leaf moving
larrystrollo said:
How about a wooden frame with a metal netting sides (e..g, chicken wire or something....).

I'd be interested in photos of how it's attached to the FEL.

Can't see the advantage of metal netting except maybe some weight. Chicken wire would be pretty flimsy. Expanded wire mesh may work. But it seems like leaves, and especially my pine needles, would get stuck in an open mesh.

Here is a link to building the bucket.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/112403-2cuyd-leaf-bucket-scut-works.html

And a link to building the rake
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/112451-good-landscape-rake-cheap.html

/ Big bucket leaf moving #9  
great idea, I'm thinkin some angle iron and sheet metal and maybe fab a new quick hitch style bucket like that...hmmm now I know what I need to build next

/ Big bucket leaf moving #10  
RedDirt said:
... Here is a link to building the bucket... And a link to building the rake...

Thanks for the highly informative documentation.