Security & Theft best way to electrically prevent theft?

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #1  

bx24

Platinum Member
I am looking for opinions on how best to disable a tractor to prevent (or at least slow down) theft. Since it seems as though all Kubota keys are alike (at least for the small tractors), what is a good way to interrupt the electrical system to prevent a little diesel tractor from starting?

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #2  
bx24 said:
...what is a good way to interrupt the electrical system to prevent a little diesel tractor from starting?
Remove the battery and hope the thief is too lazy to bring his own :)

Talon Dancer

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #3  
I would probably put a hidden toggle switch in that cuts power to the fuel solenoid. This would allow the tractor to turn over, but not fire or run. I think they would be perplexed a bit and get frustrated quickly and leave. Otherwise, just park in a shop or garage to reduce the risk. Stan

bx24 said:
I am looking for opinions on how best to disable a tractor to prevent (or at least slow down) theft. Since it seems as though all Kubota keys are alike (at least for the small tractors), what is a good way to interrupt the electrical system to prevent a little diesel tractor from starting?

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #4  
bx24 said:

The dealership suggested that I pull the main fuse(50A) under the hood. I think a keyed battery cutoff would be the way to go if you need to do it often.

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #5  
Electric eye that opens a cage of barkless attack dogs when the beam is broken?

A professional thief (yes, they exist) will have your tractor on his trailer with a very strong, very fast hydraulic winch and be gone in 2 minutes. Tops. The tractor won't have to be started or hardly even touched - just put on a hook and pull.

If you want to discourage teenagers and joy riders, add a fuel cut off valve before the injection pump. The tractor will start and run but will die quick. Joy riders and kids don't want to mess with a machine that dies.

I still like the barkless attack dogs....

jb

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #6  
john_bud said:
A professional thief (yes, they exist) will have your tractor on his trailer with a very strong, very fast hydraulic winch and be gone in 2 minutes. Tops. The tractor won't have to be started or hardly even touched - just put on a hook and pull....
This is a very good point. Anyone who is really trying to steal your Kubota won't even try to start it and drive off. Kubota's are bright orange, make a lot of noise and move pretty slowly for a "get away vehicle" :)

I'd bet that most stolen Kubota's are trailered/trucked away like john_bud suggests.

Talon Dancer

ps In these parts we'd use mountain lions instead of wimpy "barkless attack dogs":eek:

Last edited:
   / best way to electrically prevent theft? #7  
TalonDancer said:
ps In these parts we'd use mountain lions instead of wimpy "barkless attack dogs":eek:

Note to self, don't try and steal stuff from TalonDancer.....

jb

/ best way to electrically prevent theft?
Well, the good news for me is that the tractor is kept in a garage and the garage is locked. I agree with everything that has been said about a "motivated" thief. Kind of like shooting the president, if someone really wants it, they are going to get it.

Because of some other toys in the garage (ATVs etc), the tractor always blocks the door with backhoe boom out. The problem that we don't live at this location. It is only about 3 minutes from our house and 10,000 cars go by this place every day (literally). We have taken other steps (barriers, security systems etc) which should all help, but I would like to do something for the tractor that takes 20 seconds or less to do / un-do.

Because I have to deal with other similar situations for my job, I break burglars into 3 groups:

1- Kids or others just looking for something to "smash and grab"
2- Motivated thieves - but not pros. These guys may bring pry bars and bolt cutters, but their not pros
3- Pros who can get what they really want

I will be more than happy to stop the first 2 categories

This place has been broken into twice in the past two years and I am actually less worried about the Kubota and more worried about the ATVs and such. So long as they cannot move the tractor, everything else should take care of itself. The security system is also being upgraded so time should not be on their side.

Because intentional booby-traps are illegal, I was going to accidentally have a bare wire touching the side door knob ....

The main fuse or the fuel solenoid seems like the way to go. Now does anyone have a PDF of the wiring schematic of the fuel circuit for the BX24?

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #9  
Can you just unhook the safety switch on the seat? I think pulling the wire will keep the engine from cranking. It's not an obvious thing. Faulty switches have caused many a machine to visit the dealer.

Also, leaving the PTO lever in the engaged position will bring that safety switch into play.

on edit - Just thought that if you can rig a pad lock so it sits under the HST peddle and is large enough to raise the peddle up a bit. That will trigger the HST interlock. That should also keep it from cranking. Additionally, getting a quick disconnect steering wheel tends to confuse the inept crook. You have to take the wheel with you ...

If you have been broken into in the past, have you thought about getting an IR game camera? No flash, no sound, high quality 4mb pictures. You can make a disguise box and have it aimed to where a person on the tractor would be photo'ed. The cost is down around 200 bucks now.

Must sux being in a place where you are in fear of theft. Around here, the neighbors know what cars are supposed to be where at what time. At first it was disconcerting to have someone ask who was at your place with the red truck. Around here, it's not the mountain lions or even the wimpy barkless dogs you have to worry about....

jb

/ best way to electrically prevent theft?
John, I like the padlock on the HST as well as the PTO. Both would be quick and would do (slow down the pros and stop the morons) what I would like to do.

Ironically, the first time they broke in the tractor was brand new. They got in the garage through a window (the guy who owned the house before was a window salesman and there were 9 windows in the garage). Since then all have been removed ...

Anyways, I walk in through the door and saw 10 60lb bags of concrete piled up on my new baby! They were on the floor, but they had moved them and a boat load of other stuff to clear a path around the tractor so they could get the ATVs out. They must have spent at least 20 minutes doing all this only to go to unlatch the garage and they got stopped by a simple master lock that could have been cut with a $6 pair of bolt cutters from HF (or pulled the bolts with a pair of pliers). The second time they broke in they left the toys alone and took a bunch of tools that I was lazy and did not carry them with me (the house is under construction). I am not sure if it was the same guys, but now that they know exactly what is in there, it would not be a big deal for them to come better prepared next time.