Moving stuff with a BX24's backhoe.

/ Moving stuff with a BX24's backhoe. #1  

Mike_V

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX24
I want to dig up dirt with the backhoe and move it to another location.

The "normal" way to do it would be to make a pile with the backhoe and pick up the pile with the FEL to move it away.

There are some situations where that method is not desirable. One, for example, is when you are digging on a lawn and you don't what to have to scrape the soil out of the grass with the FEL. Another is when you are depositing the dirt on a slope or a bank of a pond and there is no real good way to pick it up with the FEL.

So, I was wondering if it would be practical to dump the dirt into a receptical of some kind (like a 55 gal drum, for example) that would have chains that you could lift with the backhoe teeth and carry away.

Is it even practical and safe to carry much weight with a backhoe? The manual implies that all backhoe work should be done with the supports down. Yet we see people transporting heavy logs with a thumb-equipped backhoe...

Who has moved dirt this way? How much weight, if any, would be safe to carry with the backhoe?

/ Moving stuff with a BX24's backhoe. #2  
Lift the drum with the FEL.

/ Moving stuff with a BX24's backhoe. #3  
I would either dump the dirt into a trailer or use a tarp or use a board (plywood) to cover the lawn area before dumping the dirt.

Norm

/ Moving stuff with a BX24's backhoe. #4  
The drum would work if you are only going to do this once or twice. If this happens more often, I would get a small trailer. Moving a drum around with either the FEL or the BH is way too much work

/ Moving stuff with a BX24's backhoe. #5  
I am sure this is probably a bit more than you need, but that attached pic is of a materials container that construction companies use when trenching near or on road ways. It contains spoil so it doesn spill onto the rode and it is dragged along by a backhoe bucket or excavator bucket.

Attachments

• Materials Container.jpg
    Materials Container.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 1,126
   / Moving stuff with a BX24's backhoe.
blackmajicwoman said:
I am sure this is probably a bit more than you need, but that attached pic is of a materials container that construction companies use when trenching near or on road ways. It contains spoil so it doesn spill onto the rode and it is dragged along by a backhoe bucket or excavator bucket.

Yes!

This is the kind of solution I had in mind. This particular container looks too big (and probably way too expensive) for me and the BX24, but the idea is perfect. Thanks.

Maybe one of those plastic garden dump carts would work. Working on a slope may still be problematic, though. It would either tip over or roll into the pond.

/ Moving stuff with a BX24's backhoe. #7  
Mike_V said:
I want to dig up dirt with the backhoe and move it to another location.

The "normal" way to do it would be to make a pile with the backhoe and pick up the pile with the FEL to move it away.

There are some situations where that method is not desirable. One, for example, is when you are digging on a lawn and you don't what to have to scrape the soil out of the grass with the FEL. Another is when you are depositing the dirt on a slope or a bank of a pond and there is no real good way to pick it up with the FEL.

So, I was wondering if it would be practical to dump the dirt into a receptical of some kind (like a 55 gal drum, for example) that would have chains that you could lift with the backhoe teeth and carry away.

Is it even practical and safe to carry much weight with a backhoe? The manual implies that all backhoe work should be done with the supports down. Yet we see people transporting heavy logs with a thumb-equipped backhoe...

Who has moved dirt this way? How much weight, if any, would be safe to carry with the backhoe?
2 Ideas
Use BH to Load it into a pick up with a load handler installed in the bed.
Load a small trailer/dump cart with BH.

/ Moving stuff with a BX24's backhoe. #8  
amigauser said:
or use a board (plywood) to cover the lawn area before dumping the dirt.

Norm
I've went a step farther with this.
I put the plywood on a pallet lifted the skid with a set of forks and hauled skid plywood and dirt away with the tractor.

/ Moving stuff with a BX24's backhoe. #9  
AN ATV and homemade dump trailer is what i use.
ALAN

/ Moving stuff with a BX24's backhoe. #10  
escavader said:
AN ATV and homemade dump trailer is what i use.
ALAN

Got a picture of your homemade dump trailer?