Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,924
    Location
    NH seacoast & Coos County
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

    Default Re: Changing the Transmission Filter without draining all the UDT

    Quote Originally Posted by pdowling1
    I haven't tried this myself yet, but how about applying suction from a shop vac to the fill hole while you change the filter. Just might work!
    This is what my Kioti dealer suggested, haven't done it yet. I don't know the layout on your shade of orange. MikeD74T

  2. #12
    Gold Member TalonDancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    388

    Default Re: Changing the Transmission Filter without draining all the UDT

    Lifting the front end with my FEL in full dump position raises the front wheels off the ground about a foot. At which point, my BH90's frame nearly touches the ground in the back. So this is about as high as I'm likely to get the front of the tranny unless I take the BH90 off.

    BTW both filters are very near the front of the tranny. So I'm hoping that with the front end raised, all the UDT will be below the filters. But even if it isn't, the filters are easier to reach

    Talon Dancer
    * GL3240 HST4WD w/R4s * LA724 Loader w/QA * L2239 66" HD bucket w/TL1756 cutting edge
    * BH90 w/12" bucket * Rhino BX72 Box Blade * Bradco 48" Pallet Fork

  3. #13
    Gold Member TalonDancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    388

    Default Re: Changing the Transmission Filter without draining all the UDT

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeD74T
    This is what my Kioti dealer suggested, haven't done it yet. I don't know the layout on your shade of orange. MikeD74T
    My fluid dynamics is a bit rusty. But I've got to wonder how you match the Shop Vac suction (e.g. HP) to fluid flow resistance. In any case, my Shop Vac won't hold 11 gals in case i get to wrong

    Talon Dancer
    * GL3240 HST4WD w/R4s * LA724 Loader w/QA * L2239 66" HD bucket w/TL1756 cutting edge
    * BH90 w/12" bucket * Rhino BX72 Box Blade * Bradco 48" Pallet Fork

  4. #14
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,924
    Location
    NH seacoast & Coos County
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

    Default Re: Changing the Transmission Filter without draining all the UDT

    Quote Originally Posted by TalonDancer
    My fluid dynamics is a bit rusty. But I've got to wonder how you match the Shop Vac suction (e.g. HP) to fluid flow resistance. In any case, my Shop Vac won't hold 11 gals in case i get to wrong Talon Dancer
    As I said, I haven't tried it yet but was assured I'd get only air thru the vac & negative pressure would keep oil from flowing thru the filter base. Dealer & his son hunt my property & use my barn, don't think they'd try to fool me. kubota configuration might also be different. MikeD74t

  5. #15
    Gold Member TalonDancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    388

    Default Re: Changing the Transmission Filter without draining all the UDT

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeD74T
    As I said, I haven't tried it yet but was assured I'd get only air thru the vac & negative pressure would keep oil from flowing thru the filter base. Dealer & his son hunt my property & use my barn, don't think they'd try to fool me. kubota configuration might also be different. MikeD74t
    Sorry I was trying to be funny.

    I suspect that NO Shop Vac can lift 11 gal of UDT high enough to reach the filler tube given the large surface area of the fluid. I'm guessing this trick simply works by stopping the air from entering the volume above the fluid. Hence forcing any fluid escaping to be replaced by air bubbles entering at the filter connection.

    FWIW even though I'm not planning to use a Shop Vac, I will pinch off the air breather tube next to the UDT filler hole to force a similar condition.

    Thanks for your input - Talon Dancer
    * GL3240 HST4WD w/R4s * LA724 Loader w/QA * L2239 66" HD bucket w/TL1756 cutting edge
    * BH90 w/12" bucket * Rhino BX72 Box Blade * Bradco 48" Pallet Fork

  6. #16
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    192
    Location
    Bridgeport, WV
    Tractor
    B3030 - It's for SOLD!!!

    Default Re: Changing the Transmission Filter without draining all the UDT

    Quote Originally Posted by TalonDancer
    Sorry I was trying to be funny.

    I suspect that NO Shop Vac can lift 11 gal of UDT high enough to reach the filler tube given the large surface area of the fluid. I'm guessing this trick simply works by stopping the air from entering the volume above the fluid. Hence forcing any fluid escaping to be replaced by air bubbles entering at the filter connection.

    FWIW even though I'm not planning to use a Shop Vac, I will pinch off the air breather tube next to the UDT filler hole to force a similar condition.

    Thanks for your input - Talon Dancer
    Talon Dancer:

    Please let us know how it goes......I'm curious about the quantity of your fluid loss. I'm considering the same procedure on my 3030 this spring. My BX2230 had a back flow valve at the filter that prevented fluid loss when you changed the tranny filter. I don't know why kubota doesn't use this valve on all of their hydrostats?????

    Thanks.........
    Swmpbgy1

  7. #17
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,924
    Location
    NH seacoast & Coos County
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

    Default Re: Changing the Transmission Filter without draining all the UDT

    No offence taken, I was a little skeptical as well and waited for a chuckle to follow, which never did. MikeD74T

  8. #18
    Gold Member TalonDancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    388

    Default Re: Changing the Transmission Filter without draining all the UDT

    Quote Originally Posted by swmpbgy1
    ....Please let us know how it goes......I'm curious about the quantity of your fluid loss. ...
    I did the 200 hr maint. yesterday. But I did not to change the tranny or hydraulic filters yet, because my "spare" 1gal of UDT, turned out to be 10W-30 engine oil So I'll have to wait until the kubota stores open after Christmas. Unless, of course, Santa delivers a couple of gals of UDT

    Talon Dancer

    Note to Kubota -- please consider color coding your fluid containers. Yes I can read and usually do. But it would be nice to just glance at a container and have a good idea what is actually in it without having to pick it up and read the lable
    * GL3240 HST4WD w/R4s * LA724 Loader w/QA * L2239 66" HD bucket w/TL1756 cutting edge
    * BH90 w/12" bucket * Rhino BX72 Box Blade * Bradco 48" Pallet Fork

  9. #19
    Gold Member TalonDancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    388

    Default Re: Changing the Transmission Filter without draining all the UDT

    Thanks again to everyone who posted their experiences and suggestions. You were a big help.

    I finally had time to change the HST and Hydraulic Filters today.

    Exec Summary -- it was a piece of cake

    Boring Details - With the L3240 on a slight slope over a tarp and drain pans I...
    * used the FEL to raise the front of the L3240, with the FEL in full dump and the tractor in Neutral. This allowed the FEL to pull the rear of the tractor forward and reduce the strain on the bucket pins.
    * pinched off the tranny breather tube with a pair of Vise Grips.
    * quickly spun off the HST filter and....

    After the initial gush of UDT the flow slowed to a trickle. Seriously the mess was no worse than when I changed the filter after draining the tranny completely. Although I worked quickly, I really had lots of time. The Hydraulic filter went the same. The TOTAL loss of UDT after changing both filters was less than 2 quarts; IOW roughly the volume contained in the filters themselves

    After changing the filters I let the L3240 down gently without starting the engine.

    Talon Dancer
    * GL3240 HST4WD w/R4s * LA724 Loader w/QA * L2239 66" HD bucket w/TL1756 cutting edge
    * BH90 w/12" bucket * Rhino BX72 Box Blade * Bradco 48" Pallet Fork

  10. #20
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    192
    Location
    Bridgeport, WV
    Tractor
    B3030 - It's for SOLD!!!

    Default Re: Changing the Transmission Filter without draining all the UDT

    Quote Originally Posted by TalonDancer
    Thanks again to everyone who posted their experiences and suggestions. You were a big help.

    I finally had time to change the HST and Hydraulic Filters today.

    Exec Summary -- it was a piece of cake

    Boring Details - With the L3240 on a slight slope over a tarp and drain pans I...
    * used the FEL to raise the front of the L3240, with the FEL in full dump and the tractor in Neutral. This allowed the FEL to pull the rear of the tractor forward and reduce the strain on the bucket pins.
    * pinched off the tranny breather tube with a pair of Vise Grips.
    * quickly spun off the HST filter and....

    After the initial gush of UDT the flow slowed to a trickle. Seriously the mess was no worse than when I changed the filter after draining the tranny completely. Although I worked quickly, I really had lots of time. The Hydraulic filter went the same. The TOTAL loss of UDT after changing both filters was less than 2 quarts; IOW roughly the volume contained in the filters themselves

    After changing the filters I let the L3240 down gently without starting the engine.

    Talon Dancer
    Great! Thanks for all of the valuable info!

    Swmpbgy1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2016 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.