Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

Default Re: Changing the Transmission Filter without draining all the UDT

Quote Originally Posted by pdowling1
    I haven't tried this myself yet, but how about applying suction from a shop vac to the fill hole while you change the filter. Just might work!
    This is what my Kioti dealer suggested, haven't done it yet. I don't know the layout on your shade of orange. MikeD74T

Lifting the front end with my FEL in full dump position raises the front wheels off the ground about a foot. At which point, my BH90's frame nearly touches the ground in the back. So this is about as high as I'm likely to get the front of the tranny unless I take the BH90 off.

BTW both filters are very near the front of the tranny. So I'm hoping that with the front end raised, all the UDT will be below the filters. But even if it isn't, the filters are easier to reach

Talon Dancer
    * GL3240 HST4WD w/R4s * LA724 Loader w/QA * L2239 66" HD bucket w/TL1756 cutting edge
    * BH90 w/12" bucket * Rhino BX72 Box Blade * Bradco 48" Pallet Fork

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD74T
    This is what my Kioti dealer suggested, haven't done it yet. I don't know the layout on your shade of orange. MikeD74T
    My fluid dynamics is a bit rusty. But I've got to wonder how you match the Shop Vac suction (e.g. HP) to fluid flow resistance. In any case, my Shop Vac won't hold 11 gals in case i get to wrong

Talon Dancer
    * GL3240 HST4WD w/R4s * LA724 Loader w/QA * L2239 66" HD bucket w/TL1756 cutting edge

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

Quote Originally Posted by TalonDancer
    My fluid dynamics is a bit rusty. But I've got to wonder how you match the Shop Vac suction (e.g. HP) to fluid flow resistance. In any case, my Shop Vac won't hold 11 gals in case i get to wrong Talon Dancer
    As I said, I haven't tried it yet but was assured I'd get only air thru the vac & negative pressure would keep oil from flowing thru the filter base. Dealer & his son hunt my property & use my barn, don't think they'd try to fool me. kubota configuration might also be different. MikeD74t

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD74T
    As I said, I haven't tried it yet but was assured I'd get only air thru the vac & negative pressure would keep oil from flowing thru the filter base. Dealer & his son hunt my property & use my barn, don't think they'd try to fool me. kubota configuration might also be different. MikeD74t
    Sorry I was trying to be funny.

I suspect that NO Shop Vac can lift 11 gal of UDT high enough to reach the filler tube given the large surface area of the fluid. I'm guessing this trick simply works by stopping the air from entering the volume above the fluid. Hence forcing any fluid escaping to be replaced by air bubbles entering at the filter connection.

FWIW even though I'm not planning to use a Shop Vac, I will pinch off the air breather tube next to the UDT filler hole to force a similar condition.

Thanks for your input - Talon Dancer

Silver Member
    Tractor
    B3030 - It's for SOLD!!!

Sorry I was trying to be funny.

I suspect that NO Shop Vac can lift 11 gal of UDT high enough to reach the filler tube given the large surface area of the fluid. I'm guessing this trick simply works by stopping the air from entering the volume above the fluid. Hence forcing any fluid escaping to be replaced by air bubbles entering at the filter connection.

FWIW even though I'm not planning to use a Shop Vac, I will pinch off the air breather tube next to the UDT filler hole to force a similar condition.

Thanks for your input - Talon Dancer
    Talon Dancer:

Please let us know how it goes......I'm curious about the quantity of your fluid loss. I'm considering the same procedure on my 3030 this spring. My BX2230 had a back flow valve at the filter that prevented fluid loss when you changed the tranny filter. I don't know why kubota doesn't use this valve on all of their hydrostats?????

Thanks.........
    Swmpbgy1

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

No offence taken, I was a little skeptical as well and waited for a chuckle to follow, which never did. MikeD74T

Quote Originally Posted by swmpbgy1
    ....Please let us know how it goes......I'm curious about the quantity of your fluid loss. ...
    I did the 200 hr maint. yesterday. But I did not to change the tranny or hydraulic filters yet, because my "spare" 1gal of UDT, turned out to be 10W-30 engine oil So I'll have to wait until the kubota stores open after Christmas. Unless, of course, Santa delivers a couple of gals of UDT

Talon Dancer

Note to Kubota -- please consider color coding your fluid containers. Yes I can read and usually do. But it would be nice to just glance at a container and have a good idea what is actually in it without having to pick it up and read the lable

Thanks again to everyone who posted their experiences and suggestions. You were a big help.

I finally had time to change the HST and Hydraulic Filters today.

Exec Summary -- it was a piece of cake

Boring Details - With the L3240 on a slight slope over a tarp and drain pans I...
    * used the FEL to raise the front of the L3240, with the FEL in full dump and the tractor in Neutral. This allowed the FEL to pull the rear of the tractor forward and reduce the strain on the bucket pins.
    * pinched off the tranny breather tube with a pair of Vise Grips.
    * quickly spun off the HST filter and....

After the initial gush of UDT the flow slowed to a trickle. Seriously the mess was no worse than when I changed the filter after draining the tranny completely. Although I worked quickly, I really had lots of time. The Hydraulic filter went the same. The TOTAL loss of UDT after changing both filters was less than 2 quarts; IOW roughly the volume contained in the filters themselves

After changing the filters I let the L3240 down gently without starting the engine.

Talon Dancer

Silver Member
    Tractor
    B3030 - It's for SOLD!!!

Thanks again to everyone who posted their experiences and suggestions. You were a big help.

I finally had time to change the HST and Hydraulic Filters today.

Exec Summary -- it was a piece of cake

Boring Details - With the L3240 on a slight slope over a tarp and drain pans I...
    * used the FEL to raise the front of the L3240, with the FEL in full dump and the tractor in Neutral. This allowed the FEL to pull the rear of the tractor forward and reduce the strain on the bucket pins.
    * pinched off the tranny breather tube with a pair of Vise Grips.
    * quickly spun off the HST filter and....

After the initial gush of UDT the flow slowed to a trickle. Seriously the mess was no worse than when I changed the filter after draining the tranny completely. Although I worked quickly, I really had lots of time. The Hydraulic filter went the same. The TOTAL loss of UDT after changing both filters was less than 2 quarts; IOW roughly the volume contained in the filters themselves

After changing the filters I let the L3240 down gently without starting the engine.

Talon Dancer
    Great! Thanks for all of the valuable info!

Swmpbgy1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast