Changing the Transmission Filter without draining all the UDT

/ Changing the Transmission Filter without draining all the UDT #1  

TalonDancer

Gold Member
I'll be doing the 200 hr service on my L3240 soon (probably later this week). My manual says to Change the Transmission filter but NOT to replace the 11 gals of UDT at 200hrs. See this post for details including scans of the key manual pages.

Several people have posted that they were able to change the transmission/hydraulic filters with relatively low loss of UDT (e.g. a few gals). Then they topped up with new UDT. That is what I plan to do but...I would like some advice on how to minimize the UDT wastage.

For example, is it possible to safely use the FEL to lift the front end, high enough to cause the UDT to run to the back of the tranny. Note: the filters are on the side, so I wouldn't be under the tractor, etc.

Any ideas are welcome.

Talon Dancer

/ Changing the Transmission Filter without draining all the UDT #2  
On my 2410, I jacked up the side where the filters are located as much as I dared, placed some jackstands for safety, and had the filter replacements ready to go (gaskets lubed).

I lost very little fluid.

/ Changing the Transmission Filter without draining all the UDT #3  
Yeah just park on a hill, on some ramps, etc to lean the fluid over to one side. You can also clean up around the area first and catch and reuse any oil that spills. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

Rob

/ Changing the Transmission Filter without draining all the UDT
Thanks for the tips guys.

Tilting the tractor a little, by driving one side up onto wooden ramps (with my BH90 hanging off the upside as a counter balance) is my current plan. I'm glad to hear it works :)

But I was also hoping to replace the hydraulic filter* (on the other side) at the same time. Hence the idea of lifting the whole front end with the FEL. Has anyone tried this?

Talon Dancer
* FWIW I'd like the replace the hydraulic filter (even though the maintenance chart does not require it) because of how much metal (shards) was stuck to the magnetic ring when I replaced it at 50 hrs. I'd just like the peace of mind of seeing a clean magnetic ring :)

/ Changing the Transmission Filter without draining all the UDT #5  
TalonDancer said:
But I was also hoping to replace the hydraulic filter* (on the other side) at the same time. Hence the idea of lifting the whole front end with the FEL. Has anyone tried this?

I haven't done it exactly like you say but I would not have any worries. If the FEL failed it would just fall back on the wheels, no problem. Now to get more height you can put something under the FEL, or put it up on a bank. You are not spending the night under this thing!! :D :D Just a few minute change.

/ Changing the Transmission Filter without draining all the UDT #6  
Talon, Piece of cake. When I changed the filters on my 5240, I prepared for a mess. The filters spun off, new ones on and lost hardley any fluids. Filters are large so I would say 1 gallon total to top off system. Took me longer to prepare for job than total job took.

Last edited:
   / Changing the Transmission Filter without draining all the UDT
Double Orange said:
Talon, Piece of cake. When I changed the filters on my 5240, I prepared for a mess. The filters spun off, new ones on and lost hardley any fluids. Filters are large so I would say 1 gallon total to top of system. Took me longer to prepare for job than total job took.
Thanks, that's good to hear:)

So you replaced both filters (quickly) on level ground and it only took about a gallon to top it back off?

Talon Dancer

/ Changing the Transmission Filter without draining all the UDT #8  
TalonDancer said:
)

So you replaced both filters (quickly) on level ground and it only took about a gallon to top it back off?

Talon Dancer

Just keep a rag handy to wipe your hands so you keep a good grip on new filters.
Best of luck
Frank

/ Changing the Transmission Filter without draining all the UDT #9  
I changed the two filters on my 3130 "on the fly" Piece of cake. Except when the hydro lines to my power beyond for the backhoe got in the way of spinning on one of the filters. It was messy and I thought I may not be able to get the filter to spin on. But I did. Next time I will make sure the lines are pulled out of the way All said and done, I lost about a gallon. I will do a better job next time.

RPK

/ Changing the Transmission Filter without draining all the UDT #10  
I haven't tried this myself yet, but how about applying suction from a shop vac to the fill hole while you change the filter. Just might work!