r4's vs r1's

/ r4's vs r1's #1  

allen in texas

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L 5740, loaded R1's w/640 lbs cast weight, 854 loader
I have R4's on my 3240. I thought that they would be a good compromise between R1's and turf tires and not tear up the lawn like R1's would.

I wanted to put a 3pt finishing mower on my tractor and use it to mow the lawn in addition to using it for everything else including some small farming.

As it turns out, the tractor is two heavy, in my case anyway, to use on the lawn and the R4's are too wide to use with my plow furrows.

I think I should have gotten R1's

Anyone else wish they had different tires than what they have.

/ r4's vs r1's
Well,
I read the thread you linked to and now I'm more confused than ever.

Kinda wish I hadn't started this thread but I think I will let it play out.

and...
I wish I could afford a set of R1's along with the R4's.
Or a 5740 with r1's.

Lessee.
new 5740
trade 3240 for much smaller tractor with mower deck.
shot dead by mama.

/ r4's vs r1's #4  
i got R-4's on mine and have been fairly happy. i have real sandy land (almost river bottom) and the R-4's are wider and i think help with flotation. i also do alot of work with the loader and the wider R4 fronts seem to help to keep the front end from sinking as bad.

not real good traction in the mub with the r4's but never got stuck bad enough i couldnt work my way out of it on my own.

/ r4's vs r1's #5  
Mahana79 said:
i got R-4's on mine and have been fairly happy. i have real sandy land (almost river bottom) and the R-4's are wider and i think help with flotation. i also do alot of work with the loader and the wider R4 fronts seem to help to keep the front end from sinking as bad.

not real good traction in the mub with the r4's but never got stuck bad enough i couldnt work my way out of it on my own.
Sand is good for R4s.

/ r4's vs r1's #6  
I'll be picking up my new set of turfs tomorrow to replace the R4's on my BX24. I thought I would like them, but they really tear up my lawn when it's as wet as it is right now. So, I suppose I can use the R4's in the summer if I feel like switching them, but they will probably just be retired (pun intended). :rolleyes: Stan

/ r4's vs r1's #7  
I replaced my rear R4's on my case backhoe and I'm pretty hapy with them now. Before they had lots of tread but the edges were rounded over. They would fill up with good old Vermont soil and just slowly spin. Now they will dig. I'm planning on going with the R1s on my 3240, I think they will work better in the woods.

/ r4's vs r1's #8  
allen in texas said:
....Anyone else wish they had different tires than what they have.
The choice of R1 vs R4 is all about your specific tractor usage, soils (depth & type) and topography.

In my case, I'm very happy with the R4s on my L3240 because they are well suited to our rocky limestone terrain. The soil is so thin on our property that the tread bars on the R4s are deeper than the soil except on a few acres. Running R1s here would be like putting the L3240 on tip-toes :)

FWIW our house is surrounded by about 20 acres of grasslands that we maintain as wildlife habitat -- think mosaic of native ankle high carpet grasses and waist, to shoulder high, bunch grasses. So I don't need to mow a "lawn"; but if I did, I'd use Roundup :eek:

Talon Dancer

Last edited:
   / r4's vs r1's
I have 10 acres of dirt. Top soil is about 9 ft deep. At least it was that deep before we hit anything other than red dirt when we dug the hole for my basement.
I'm having water put in my tires after christmas. It's free. Why not.
I passed when dealer asked me if I wanted it and now I wish I hadn't.

But...
I guess I'll stay with R4's because I'm going to be doing a lot more than just "farmin" with this tractor.

Shredding,
dragging drives
FEL work etc.

I just need two tractors. :)

/ r4's vs r1's #10  
I went through an evolution to get there. First ordered the tractor with R4's and then realized that I did not have enough traction to fill the FEL bucket when digging so changed to R1's. Then I discovered that I still had not enough traction so changed to cast iron hubs to add addditional weight. It helped some and then I added pallet forks to the rear and mounted a 2000 lbs ballast box and that helped greatly. Now I have added cast iron weights to center of wheels as well so now I can can move forward and fill bucket in one pass which is what I wanted in the first place. Finally got there.

Attachments

• IMG_0109 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0109 (Small).jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 349