BX24 extra lights?

/ BX24 extra lights? #1  

samofsweden

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota Bx24, 2007
Hi. I have a BX24 .Iエve seen on the forum a while ago, where to conncect your extra lights under the seat. There is a loom under the seat where you can use for extra lights on the ROPS. I cant find the thread anymore, please I need some help. I bought four Xenon lights. They are 35watts each. BUT I discover that they draw 20amps in start mode.....:eek: So I need to start one lamp at time....Thanks for any help.
/Sam

/ BX24 extra lights? #3  
samofsweden said:
Hi. I have a BX24 .Iエve seen on the forum a while ago, where to conncect your extra lights under the seat. There is a loom under the seat where you can use for extra lights on the ROPS. I cant find the thread anymore, please I need some help. I bought four Xenon lights. They are 35watts each. BUT I discover that they draw 20amps in start mode.....:eek: So I need to start one lamp at time....Thanks for any help.
/Sam
Originally Posted by LBrown59
Here are some thoughts concerning lights on rops.
1. Use two lights rather than 4 lights. Mount them on a light bar that will swivel the lights up and down. I install the lights on the bar in a manner that will permit the lights to be rotated 360 degrees. The 360 degrees allows you to have light to the rear and front or both to the front or both to the rear.
Use magnets to mount the brackets for the light bar to the top rear edge of the rops instead of on top of the rops or under the top of the rops. Next bolt the ends of the light bar to the brackets with one bolt through each bracket into the bar.
Tighten the bolts just enough to hold the bar in place but loose enough to move it by hand. The swiveling light bar allows:
(A) Allows adjustment of the distance the lights shine out from the tractor.
(B) Gives more clearance above the lights and more head room under them.
(C) Lessens the chance of catching the lights on something overhead.
(D) Allows the lights to flip down if hit rather than breaking them.
(E) You can just flip the lights down to work under low hanging branches instead of having to remove them from the rops. However you still have the option of removing the bar and lights and unplugging the trailer connector.
*Advantages of the 360 degree rotation *
(A) Permits two lights instead of requiring 4 lights, thus reducing current flow.
(B) Lights can be turned both to front or both to rear. Or they can be turned one to front and one to rear. They can also be used for side lighting. Swiveling lights can provide illumination 360 degrees around the tractor.

Adjustment from one position to another is instant by hand. No wrenches or tools required.
A low profile light preferred over high profile lights.

More about lights.
Use a dual direction light with a clear lens on both sides that will cast light to the front and rear at the same time.

I would not disconnect the head lights but would run the extra lights connected to the key on side of the ignition switch and a separate switch in the line between the connection and the lights. You could also use a switch for / on each light if you desire to control each lite separately.
The reason I prefer going through the key switch is because you can't forget to turn the lights off and run the battery down.
I use a 10 AMP Fuse.
=====
~~~~~~~~~
MY FIRST CAR http://chevy.tocmp.com/chevyscrapbook/files/kamp50.jpg
OUR FIRST CAR http://www.hubcapcafe.com/ocs/pages01/chev6003.htm__________________

/ BX24 extra lights? #4  
If the BX24 is the same as the BX2350, the connectors are not "under the seat" (you do not flip the seat up and see them). Look for them from the rear above the rear PTO shaft. If memory serves me, they are taped with electrical tape and are bullet connectors.

/ BX24 extra lights?
Hi. After reading your experince with work lights I think that I will draw 2 new leads to each light over four relays with separate fueses. Each lamp draws 20amps just in start, then 3.6 amps in use. So my idea is to have 4 different switches to strat one lamp at time, because I think otherwise it will be to much for the electric-system.
Heres some pics from my fittings. Yes I know I drilled in the ROPS.... but I use "POP NUTS" so I dont think that I distroyed the strength structure in the ROPS.
I used 5mm aluminium in the fittings. The lights are made of aluminium housing, IP65 (waterproof) with Goretex membrane, made for mining machines. With internal ballast.12 volt. About 300 euros each.
Thanks for your advices,
/Sam

Attachments

• RIMG0068 kopiera.jpg
    RIMG0068 kopiera.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 462
  • RIMG0070 kopiera.jpg
    RIMG0070 kopiera.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 371
  • RIMG0071 kopiera.jpg
    RIMG0071 kopiera.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 340
  • RIMG0072 kopiera.jpg
    RIMG0072 kopiera.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 344
  • RIMG0075 kopiera.jpg
    RIMG0075 kopiera.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 390
   / BX24 extra lights? #6  
See attached file for picture of remote control spotlight. It is easy to hook up since it only requires one hot wire and then the rest is controlled from the remote including rotating 360 degrees or up down turning on or off

Attachments

• IMG_0109 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0109 (Small).jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 405
   / BX24 extra lights? #7  
I went to Harbor Freight and bought:
1 - round welding magnet
1 - round rubberized spot light
1 - 20' section of that ribbed plastic sheathing you put wires in
1 - cigarette lighter plug

I attached the spotlight to the welding magnet - ran the 2 wires down through the split tubing to the cigarette adaptor plug... then the magnet holds the light to the rops (facing backwards or forwards - you decide and move accordingly) the plastic tubing holding the wires wraps around the ROPS - goes under the seat and plugs into the cigarette lighter... when I don't want lights - I unplug it...

All said and done - about $20 - and it can come off the tractor and go anywhere there is a cigarette lighter...

/ BX24 extra lights? #8  
I bought a magnetic mount worklight from TSC. 55 watt Halogen bulb, magnet, lighter cord and switch all preassembled and ready to go. $20 if I remember. Just plug it in and stick it on the ROPS headed wherever you want. If you need 2, a splitter is available for the lighter plug at any auto parts store. The BX24 lighter plug is rated at 150 watts.

/ BX24 extra lights? #9  
LBrown-

I would not worry too much about the start-up current. I think it makes sense to have a front and rear circuit, but the battery will not even burp for a momentary current surge.

Drawing that much juice all the time is a whole nother matter

/ BX24 extra lights?
Hi everone! Thanks for all your input! I decided to fit the light permanently because I using my BX for commercial use. The rear lights havent arrived yet. I made a totaly new wiring to the lights from the battery over 2 dubbel relays via a fuse box. I found it hard to rote the new wiring throu/under the tractor its very tight!!. I went down under the seat to the left and routed the wiring on the outside of the chassi rail, went up where the steering hydro pipes goes down. I folded up a box in aluminium and welded, for the switches.
/Sam

Attachments

• RIMG0093 kopiera.jpg
    RIMG0093 kopiera.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 270
  • RIMG0092 kopiera.jpg
    RIMG0092 kopiera.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 210
  • RIMG0091 kopiera.jpg
    RIMG0091 kopiera.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 201
  • RIMG0088 kopiera.jpg