How to keep from dumping the trailer???

/ How to keep from dumping the trailer??? #21  
Hi Adam:
The approach used in one of the pics in one of the replies to your post is of a Ford 8N with drawbar stays. This setup would be useful for your drawbar but somewhat cumbersome because of time spent hitching and unhitching the stays every time you want to use the trailer. But you still have the rotation problem of the drawbar if you use a trailer ball. According to your picture however, you are using a pin setup on the trailer hitch rather than a ball, so the point raised by a responder about the trailer shaft riding up and hitting your head (or your back) will not happen.

A better solution for you would be to use the "swinging drawbar" that already sits forward of the lift arm setup, the one you currently have a trailer ball on. I'd take the drawbar off that you currently have the trailer attached to, take the ball off the "swinging drawbar" and hitch the trailer shaft to the hole in the "swinging drawbar". This will eliminate any movement or tendency of the trailer to shift or raise up; just make sure the pin thru the hitch has a "hairpin" on the underneath side to keep the pin from pulling out. Don't ask me how I know. The trailer shaft is long enough so that in a tight turn the trailer won't jackknife.

The last thing I would address in the setup is that you obviously have insufficient "tongue weight" on the trailer. This is what one of the posters was trying to remedy with his suggestion to alter the axle position backwards. Within reason the more tongue weight on the tractor, the better as it helps augment traction and stability.

Hope these suggestions help; another benefit is that you don't have to buy anything else, you already have what you need.

simonmeridew