How to keep from dumping the trailer???

/ How to keep from dumping the trailer??? #1  

Adam23

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500
Hey all,

I have a dumb question that just came up today. I know that 3ph on compact tractors do not have down pressure, so it should not have been a suprise to me today when a trailer that I had connected to my 3ph dumped on me. As you can see in the pictures (if I can figure out how to upload) that I connected a trailer to a drawbar (i think that is what it is called) and everything is fine until I go up a steep hill. When on flat or even semi-flat ground the trailer is great, but as soon as I start to go up a semi-steep hill the darn trailer will dump as the 3ph alows the load in the trailer to act as the leverage and it lifts up and dumps! The mounting point that is under the axle where a 2" ball is also mounted is too thick for my little trailer to mount to so I am stuck using this drawbar and the 3ph. Is there anyway to lock the 3ph in the down position so it will not move up? Are there any other options for me that I am not thinking about? Or do I just need to deal with this issue and find a more level route from my house to the creek?? If I am not making sense, just let me know and I will try to explain or include different pics.

Picture 129.jpg

Picture 130.jpg

/ How to keep from dumping the trailer??? #2  
The point that you should be hooking to is where you have the ball. I don't know of any way of locking the 3ph, at least not as simply as the solution I would use. Get a piece of flat bar, maybe a half inch thick by however wide your hitch is, put three holes in it. One hole for the ball(or if the ball shaft is not long enough then a bolt) another for a bolt in that rear hole behind the ball, and another to hook the trailer through.

/ How to keep from dumping the trailer??? #3  
From looking at your pictures it looks like there is enough clearance to run a peice of angle iron under the center drawbar and over the 3PTH arms to keep them down. You can bolt it in the middle to the drawbar and trim the ends of the angle iron so it will clear the lift rods. A peice of 2 x 2 or 2 x 3 1/4" thick should be strong enough to hold down your trailer. If you do build something like that then just be sure not raise your 3pt or you will probably bend something. Good luck.

/ How to keep from dumping the trailer??? #4  
You can do it two ways either use chains to hold the arms down or get the adjustable bars that go from the top three point bracket down to the two lower arm ends.

David
Kb7uns

/ How to keep from dumping the trailer??? #5  
2 ways, use that shiny thing in the middle or chain/block the arms from going up.

The 3pt arms are NOT for trailers for the exact reason you stated. The trailers can surge forward. If you were using a ball and not the pin, the trailer can pop off the ball. It's a big deal when there is a larger trailer with a heavy load of dirt, you stop the arms go up, the hitch pops off the ball and the tongue spears the back of your head.

Very rare occurance, but still use the draw bar.

/ How to keep from dumping the trailer??? #6  
The problem is that you have a dump trailer. The axle is in the middle and if the center of the load gets behind the axle it will dump. That is what is happening when you go up hill. Now, what can you do about it.

Move the axle back. Not simple.

Add weight to the front of the trailer toung. Can be done.

Always load the heavy stuff in front. Be careful if the load shifts.

Make an adapter for the draw bar to the trailer toung.

/ How to keep from dumping the trailer??? #7  
if your 3PH back end is like my 2350 you can connect the drawbar 'uplinks' to the solid upper mounts, making it a rigid non-liftable configuration.

/ How to keep from dumping the trailer??? #8  
I made the tonge longer and heavier then hook onto the ball at the draw bar.
The tonge isn't very strong anyway. The one I had was made out of real thin channel iron. I had to do it because it pulled out where the axle went thru. and it also bent down. It looks like you are putting alot of weight in it like I did.
It's real easy to do and you well be safe.

Lee

/ How to keep from dumping the trailer??? #9  
The chains to hold the drawbar down was my first thought.
If I understand you correctly the gap in the the trailer tongue is too small to go over the trailer hitch bar with the hole in it behind the ball. Can you simply use washers or a spacer under the top hitch Z plate and longer bolts to widen the gap?

/ How to keep from dumping the trailer??? #10  
Have you considered modifying the trailer with a 2" coupler. It doesn't look like a high speed road trailer, but you could pull it with your vehicle too........At least around your place. Maybe just modify the trailer hitch to be wider to fit over that drawbar.

I had the same problem with a smaller trailer. Also had trouble with the hitch bar rotating in the lift arms. Stay with the drawbar whatever you do. Good luck.