New guy installs block heater

/ New guy installs block heater #1  

CRAFTBENDER

Western Pennsylvania northeast of Pittsburgh
Tractor
Kubota BX24
Hello from Texas transplant to Pennsylvania. I have a Bx24 and really do love it. So far I have dug a french drain about six feet deep and forty feet long and done a little landscaping. It is a real pal. I just yesterday installed a block heater and the engine sounds a lot better when first cranked up. I can see there is a huge amount of information on this site. I will keep my eye on the homemade projects. My avatar is a picture of myself with a 1/3 size replica of a 1923 case hay press that I built about a year ago.

/ New guy installs block heater #2  
Hello, I have a new BX2350 and had dealer install a block heater. Have posted about the size of it. Mine was a 1200 watt heater. I thought that was a bit large, but have found another that has same 1200 watt heater. What size heater did you install? hjt

/ New guy installs block heater
The one I installed is 400 watts. When I plugged it in it got hot in a hurry. Too hot to touch on the part that sticks out from the block. I was really supprised. 1200 watts seems like a lot to me.

/ New guy installs block heater #4  
WOW. The other guy I talked to that has a 1200 watt says it only takes 1/2 hour or so and he's ready to start. I haven't had to use mine yet as the snow has been on warm enough days it started good without it. Dealer says it is ok that big, so will see what happens. Thanks. hjt

/ New guy installs block heater #5  
Any chance you might post a pic of that mini baler?

I have trouble with making pictures appear. I hope this works.

Attachments

• web version.jpg
    web version.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 314
   / New guy installs block heater #7  
Thats fantastic ! If i had one i'd clean up around here from Halloween to Thanksgiving selling those mini bales to the city folk for decoration.

Ductape said:
Thats fantastic ! If i had one i'd clean up around here from Halloween to Thanksgiving selling those mini bales to the city folk for decoration.

I bought the blueprints from Mark O'hern. He builds them for sale and he also sells the prints for people who want to build their own. The main gears are from an old windmill pump jack. It took me about two months off and on to build it. Really works great, makes a really nice bale.

His website is: The Original Mini Hay Press

/ New guy installs block heater #9  
I have a dealer installed block heater on my tractor. As I remember it is in the 400 to 600 watt range. It works great. I usually plug it in for at least an hour before starting the tractor. I have started my tractor twice this winter without plugging in the heater for at least an hour first. The engine starts fine without the heater being used but the noise it makes is quite remarkable (loud and banging) compared to a warmer start. Also the exhaust is much smokier with the cold start. Many tractor owners on TBN say there is no need for a block heater. That's OK but doesn't change my opinion. I use one on my truck and it's quite noticeable how much quicker the engine produces heat to clear the frost off the windshield and warm the cab. The tractor temperature gauge comes off dead cold quickly when I have used the block heater. I don't bother plugging in the heater if the temperature is 'just' in the lower teens F at night but when it gets down to below zero it really makes ME feel warmer when I hear how the engine sounds when first started.

I have seen those mini bales of straw for sale in lots of craft stores and at vendor booths at horse shows. I never gave it much thought about the machine used to bale these novelty items. But I have noticed you can buy a full sized bale for what these mini bales cost.

Tom

DesertRose said:
I have a dealer installed block heater on my tractor. As I remember it is in the 400 to 600 watt range. It works great. I usually plug it in for at least an hour before starting the tractor. I have started my tractor twice this winter without plugging in the heater for at least an hour first. The engine starts fine without the heater being used but the noise it makes is quite remarkable (loud and banging) compared to a warmer start. Also the exhaust is much smokier with the cold start. Many tractor owners on TBN say there is no need for a block heater. That's OK but doesn't change my opinion. I use one on my truck and it's quite noticeable how much quicker the engine produces heat to clear the frost off the windshield and warm the cab. The tractor temperature gauge comes off dead cold quickly when I have used the block heater. I don't bother plugging in the heater if the temperature is 'just' in the lower teens F at night but when it gets down to below zero it really makes ME feel warmer when I hear how the engine sounds when first started.

I have seen those mini bales of straw for sale in lots of craft stores and at vendor booths at horse shows. I never gave it much thought about the machine used to bale these novelty items. But I have noticed you can buy a full sized bale for what these mini bales cost.

Tom

The bales are five by seven by thirteen inches and are a novelty item easy to decorate with, easy to store. Plus the machine is very entertaining to watch, and really draws a crowd.