Mowing B7800 RC72-27B mower grease question

/ B7800 RC72-27B mower grease question #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I bought a B7800 with the six ft mower deck and could find no info regarding greasing the spindle bearings in the owner's manual. I think they are sealed bearings and that overgreasing can damage the seals but am not sure so I just give them a couple pumps every other time I mow.
Anyone know how often to grease the spondle bearings and if it's a "sealed" grease situation?
Thanks.

/ B7800 RC72-27B mower grease question #2  
Grease spindles every 50 hours and check daily. Spindles should have been pre-filled at factory or dealer. They require a lot of grease to fill if not done already. Don't forget to grease wheels, idler pulley and arm.

/ B7800 RC72-27B mower grease question #3  
The rule of fifty hours of use is not really that good. The initial fill would take a tube of grease and the bearing units are not using sealed bearings and I'd prefer a 10 hour use in between greasing. To use the tractor for other things doesn't mean that the deck would need greasing, if it takes two hours to mow and you mow once a week then once a month greasing should be fine.

/ B7800 RC72-27B mower grease question #4  
A while ago there was conversation on the amount of grease that the spindles could hold and a bearing failure due to inadequate grease. After reading about that I pumped over a tube of grease into my spindles.

If full the grease will ooze out of the spindle cups when full. If I were you, you might want to consider adding grease until it comes out somewhere in the spindle cups.

/ B7800 RC72-27B mower grease question
For an update on this I checked with the dealer and they could find no mention of any service data in any of the manuals for Kubota or even NH. He said the parts list showed SEALED bearings. The parts guy (very smart guy) thought two pumps every other mow (2 1/2 hours use) would be sufficent.
And not to overgrease because I would blow the seals out.

Now what do you think? Has anyone blown the seals out or had bearings that failed? This is just a dedicated lawnmower with only occasional other uses.

/ B7800 RC72-27B mower grease question #6  
I checked my parts manual for the RC72-27B. It shows a seal and bearing as separate parts for each end of spindle. Not a sealed bearing. Do as Art and others said above. Fill the bearing housing until you see grease coming out.

/ B7800 RC72-27B mower grease question #7  
I grease the **** out of mine and it takes a lot before any comes out the spindles. I don't know where it all goes but I'd rather have grease in contact with the bearing surfaces than Florida sand.

/ B7800 RC72-27B mower grease question #8  
Same here - just grease it until it comes out of the cups. Otherwise you might be taking it apart and seeing the bearings first hand! :D