Tiller think I am getting a deal...

/ Tiller think I am getting a deal... #1  

Jimmyp5

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 24
OK., I think I am getting a good buy on a tiller. The guy says it is a Kubota tiller he is checking if it is the 37" he pretty sure it is. He wants $550.00 for it. Guess my question is when I inspect it what do I look for? and if it larger that the 37" how large can I go and still run with my BX24?

Thanks,
Jim

/ Tiller think I am getting a deal... #2  
Jimmyp5 said:
OK., I think I am getting a good buy on a tiller. The guy says it is a Kubota tiller he is checking if it is the 37" he pretty sure it is. He wants $550.00 for it. Guess my question is when I inspect it what do I look for? and if it larger that the 37" how large can I go and still run with my BX24? /QUOTE]

I run a 50" with my b7100, 37" seems small as you have more horsepower than I do.

Will that 37" cover the width of your tires? If not can it be offset so you can cover at least one tire track? Can it be hooked to a tractor and spun up? if so it should run pretty quiet when not in the ground. If there are major problems with chain or gearbox I think you would hear it. Check the tines, a new set for my tiller was about $150. Does it looked like he kept grease in it i.e. maintained.

Charles

/ Tiller think I am getting a deal...
Some more information...the tiller in question is a FL850, think it is a older B model tiller. Can't find a lot of information on it. Looks to be 40" wide, with 36 inch tilling area. Does anyone have more information on this tiller or think my BX 24 can't handle it?

Thanks!!!

/ Tiller think I am getting a deal... #4  
Jimmyp5 said:
OK., I think I am getting a good buy on a tiller. The guy says it is a Kubota tiller he is checking if it is the 37" he is pretty sure it is.
He wants $550.00 for it. Guess my question is when I inspect it what do I look for? and if it's larger that the 37"
how large can I go and still run with my BX24?

Thanks,
Jim
I have a 48'' that 1 can use on any of my 3 Kubotas.
Cost $1100 new.

/ Tiller think I am getting a deal... #5  
Jimmyp5 said:
Some more information...the tiller in question is a FL850, think it is a older B model tiller. Can't find a lot of information on it. Looks to be 40" wide, with 36 inch tilling area. Does anyone have more information on this tiller or think my BX 24 can't handle it?

Thanks!!!

It should handle it fine.

I run a 48" KK tiller, does fine. A 40" should be easy going for your BX24, but, be aware, it won't cover your tire tracks. maybe it is offset.

Thanks, for the info... not too worried about tire tracks when tilling between grape rows. The garden of course the wife will want clean, so hopefully it will off set (seems to be doable). Any other comments would be appreciated.

/ Tiller think I am getting a deal... #7  
There is a parts manual for it on kubotabooks.... looking at the drawings it doesn't look like it is able to offset. So if you till between the grapevines what about the weeds left on either side of the tiller?

Tines are $9.18 ea on tractorsmart and you need 12 so about another $110 +tax, shipping etc. if it needs new tines.

I don't think I would be as happy with my tiller if it was not at least as wide as the outside width of my tires.

Charles

/ Tiller think I am getting a deal... #8  
Jimmyp5 said:
OK., I think I am getting a good buy on a tiller. The guy says it is a Kubota tiller he is checking if it is the 37" he pretty sure it is. He wants $550.00 for it. Guess my question is when I inspect it what do I look for? and if it larger that the 37" how large can I go and still run with my BX24?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim, I'd say to go for it. In 1995, I got a new Bush Hog RTS40 tiller; 40" wide, tilled 38", to use on my B7100 and I later also offset it and used it on my B2710. And in 1995, it cost $1,300. So your deal sounds pretty good to me.

/ Tiller think I am getting a deal... #9  
Jimmyp5 said:

Thanks,
Jim

It really is small for a bx (my bx pulls the 50" tiller easy) but the price is right so go for it. Ya can sell it for close to what ya got in it if ya don't like it.

Thanks everyone! I picked it up this morning. Clean, with a operators manual! He had the orginal, and thanks for the site to down load the part manual. Operators books tell me how to set it up for a 4 inch off set either way! So i should be set. I plan on draining the oil and doing a full cleaning and service before putting it to work.

Did someone say you got to relax in retirement? I seem to be busy, with chain saws, pole saws, removing stumps, and now a tiller.... oh well it could be worst, I could still be working for the Federal Government everyday!