Quick Attach Broken AGAIN!!

/ Quick Attach Broken AGAIN!! #1  

SCDolphin

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240: Craftsman GT6500
I bought a L5440HST with La854 FEL and a WR Long UJ-172 4n1 bucket with a WR Long B72 tooth bar May 07.

Shortly after I bought the tractor and had 50 easy hr on it I started moving some old debris piles and pushing over 3-5 inch gum balls. I noticed that the right side of the 4n1 bucket was loose. The pin that holds the bucket in place had popped out. When I tried to put it back in place, it became obvious that the right side of the quick attack was warped. The dealer said it would not be covered under warranty because I did not have a Kubota 4n1 bucket on it. Problem is Kubota did not offer a 4n1 last year. I now have about 110 hrs mostly light bush hogging and disking. I have not used the bucket until this week end. I was pushing over small gum trees mostly 3-4" occasionally 5". I always center the tree, lift the bucket and use the weight to push the tree enough to expose the root ball. Then I work it out of the ground. Now the right pin has come out again and I have again bent the QA. I can't believe that the QA could be so fragle. Any ideas?

I enclosed some pictures.

Thanks

Attachments

• TreesBucket512.jpg
    TreesBucket512.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 814
  • RQAPin511.jpg
    RQAPin511.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 759
  • RQAPin509.jpg
    RQAPin509.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 785
  • LBucketPin510.jpg
    LBucketPin510.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 715
  • MeTractorDogW449.jpg
    MeTractorDogW449.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 663
  • KubotaLoaderWW.jpg
    KubotaLoaderWW.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 720
   / Quick Attach Broken AGAIN!! #2  
When I first got my QA for L48, the dealer had to come out and modify it as the bucket/ forks would pop off just putting the bucket down.....and now 2.5 years later I am having same problems with forks. I think my pins, the slanted sliding pins in your photos have worn on the slanted face and now have enough play they pop off. I need to assess the cost of new pins vs. new QA.

Pain in the butt as I feel the pins should not be as vunerable as they are.

/ Quick Attach Broken AGAIN!! #3  
When I first got my L3130 in July 05 I had similar problems. That slant cut on the pins would, when putting a load on the bucket or other attachment in the reverse direction, just cam out of the slot in the attachment. The spring was just not strong enough to hold the pin down. I put a stack of washers under the spring so that I could just move it past top center. When latched the pin only has 1/8-1/4 inch vertical free play. No more problems. Several others have done the same and it has worked for them. There was a Service bulletin or kit for this but I never looked into it.

Vernon

/ Quick Attach Broken AGAIN!! #4  
I bought a QA plate and welded it onto a frame I had built for forks. In doing so, I warped the QA plate by making it conform to the fork frame (my mistake). Bottom line is that on one side the slanted pin was not going far enough down into the opening on the QA plate. It appears this is the same case on the 3rd pic you have attached. I ended up cutting about 3/16" of material off the hole in the QA plate where the pin made contact. This allowed the pin to go down further and engage better. I know this weakend that point on the QA plate, but I felt it was minimal, and since the QA plates are designed to withstand extreme weights (skid steer, etc.), I didn't feel I would have any problems with the forces I would be able to apply with my 1100lb. lift loader! If that was a concern you could always beef up the thickness of the remaining contact point.

Not sure if you can totally understand this description of what I did... if not let me know and I will try to explain it better.

/ Quick Attach Broken AGAIN!! #5  
Hi Hugh,

It is odd that the problem has happened again after a new QA was installed. Just thinking out loud...Do you think the hydraulics, (right or left cylinders), could have different pressures to cause unequal loading on the arms/bucket? Or do the cylinders operate off the same main output line, with a line one going to each side? Are they independant?
It still seems like the QA pins...

I remembered reading this thread about the QA when it was first posted. Did a search...
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...h-loader-problems.html?highlight=quick+attach

/ Quick Attach Broken AGAIN!! #6  
SCDolphin said:
I bought a L5440HST with La854 FEL and a WR Long UJ-172 4n1 bucket with a WR Long B72 tooth bar May 07.

Shortly after I bought the tractor and had 50 easy hr on it I started moving some old debris piles and pushing over 3-5 inch gum balls. I noticed that the right side of the 4n1 bucket was loose. The pin that holds the bucket in place had popped out. When I tried to put it back in place, it became obvious that the right side of the quick attack was warped. The dealer said it would not be covered under warranty because I did not have a Kubota 4n1 bucket on it. Problem is Kubota did not offer a 4n1 last year. I now have about 110 hrs mostly light bush hogging and disking. I have not used the bucket until this week end. I was pushing over small gum trees mostly 3-4" occasionally 5". I always center the tree, lift the bucket and use the weight to push the tree enough to expose the root ball. Then I work it out of the ground. Now the right pin has come out again and I have again bent the QA. I can't believe that the QA could be so fragle. Any ideas?

I enclosed some pictures.

Thanks

I think you need to check the spring rod length and the stop position. The pin appears to be up against the stop. Measure each side and check pin protusion with the pin against the stop. The stop may in the wrong place. It could be that your bucket is made wrong. Have you tried it with the factory bucket or aother attachment?

/ Quick Attach Broken AGAIN!! #7  
Sloppy Q/A fits on other skidsteer attachments can break the tips. My LA853 loader was fine with the factory bucket but popped out of the forks I had. I bought the kubota fix kit for a few bucks, it had a washer spacer but there was also tubular spacer to go inside the springs that limited the amount the pins could move the spring.

Now I can lift my tractor off the ground using the tips of the forks and they won't come off.

/ Quick Attach Broken AGAIN!!
The problem for me is that this is the second QA that I will have to pay for that because of its poor design or weak springs is probably the cause of why the bucket pops off. This in turn bends the QA frame. Before I spend a 2nd or 3rd 4-5 hundred dollars, I would to get a permanent fix.

/ Quick Attach Broken AGAIN!! #9  
slowzuki,

Do you happen to have the Kubota part number for that fix kit?

Thanks

/ Quick Attach Broken AGAIN!! #10  
SCDolphin said:
The problem for me is that this is the second QA that I will have to pay for that because of its poor design or weak springs is probably the cause of why the bucket pops off. This in turn bends the QA frame. Before I spend a 2nd or 3rd 4-5 hundred dollars, I would to get a permanent fix.

It is not the spring which keeps the pins down. It is the metal stop above the bolt which keeps the pins in place.