FLOATING FRONT END LOADER BX24

/ FLOATING FRONT END LOADER BX24 #1  

CRAFTBENDER

Western Pennsylvania northeast of Pittsburgh
Tractor
Kubota BX24
Is there a way to float the FEL on the BX24? I was trying to clear snow off my driveway but the bucket is either scraping too much or not enough. The manual says it will float but haven't had any luck.

/ FLOATING FRONT END LOADER BX24 #2  
There is a detent in the loader valve. On new tractors it is QUITE stiff. If you push the loader valve forward (to lower the FEL) you will feel a pop and the lever will stay forward of it's normal position.

/ FLOATING FRONT END LOADER BX24 #3  
Yes, there is a float, should be all the way forward on your joystick.

However.....

The float will still cause the front end to get light and steering to get looser. No definitive expert here, just going by the characteristics of my BX, it appears that the float starts floating only with a measured amount of resistance (ie; pressure on the ground). I have noticed this while scooping dirt also.

Try making contact with the ground using the normal forward motion on the stick, and right as it meets ground resistance push farther forward on the stick, you should feel something like a second detente point, then you are in float mode.

As far as it "free floating" along , for snow purposes, I'm thinking it's not quite that sensitive. There is still going to be some noticeable down pressure, at least based on the way mine reacts.

Anyone else with a BX notice something different with their FEL float?

/ FLOATING FRONT END LOADER BX24 #4  
From a previous post. Hope it helps. :)

Floating your bucket

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm having my little adventures and learning experiences and I thought I'd share a tidbit. Please forgive me if this tip is overly obvious to the experienced, but I've read a few posts that mentioned the float setting without how to go about using it and maybe somebody will benefit . Please share other FEL operating tips if you have them. I don't want to learn everything by trial and error and error So here it is.

To plow forwards or scrape with your bucket you can use the float setting to make your bucket follow the contours of route in front of you. Lifting the FEL control lever until you feel the click/detent settting puts you into float. The first few times I tried this, I levelled the bucket and lowered it to the ground and lifted the lever to feel the float setting kick in. I kept setting downpressure on the bucket. Not helpfull when you are trying to slide over the ground without digging in. Here's my little insight. Level the bucket then click into float while its still up in the air. It will float down gently and you're good to go.

The adventurous will try this on the move and without due regard to setting the bucket level . Those less inclined to excitement, digging ruts, and possible repair bills, will perform this little adjustment while stationary. Hope this help another noobie out there. It works great!

/ FLOATING FRONT END LOADER BX24 #5  
One thing I noticed when I first started plowing snow with the FEL bucket in float was that it would dig if the driveway had a bump in it. Once the ground froze solid it has been no problem to keep the bucket in float without it digging.

What I did before the ground was frozen was to curl the front edge of the bucket up so the leading edge was an inch or so above horizontal. This allowed me to plow and lift most of the snow without digging into gravel. I then back dragged the bucket to scape down to gravel or bare dirt.

Tom

/ FLOATING FRONT END LOADER BX24 #6  
SkunkWerX said:
As far as it "free floating" along , for snow purposes, I'm thinking it's not quite that sensitive. There is still going to be some noticeable down pressure, at least based on the way mine reacts.

Anyone else with a BX notice something different with their FEL float?

Yes, I've experienced the same thing, but I attributed it just to the weight of the loader. Sure, it's not locked in place by hydraulic pressure, but that's still 600 pounds (?) that you're dragging/pushing. I also assume that as it floats up and down the hydraulic fluid has to flow with it, so that also needs to be overcome - and it's what, a 1/4" it has to flow through?

/ FLOATING FRONT END LOADER BX24 #7  
On my not level dirt drive I had the same problem, it was driving me nuts!
I found that keeping the backhoe on for weight made it much worse. I ended up giving in and buying the 60" plow. Its like day and night, the plow kicks butt for snow. It takes 8 minutes to remove the plow and quick hitch and hook up the loader if you need to move piles.

/ FLOATING FRONT END LOADER BX24 #8  
sqidget said:
On my not level dirt drive I had the same problem, it was driving me nuts!
I found that keeping the backhoe on for weight made it much worse.
I ended up giving in and buying the 60" plow. Its like day and night, the plow kicks butt for snow. It takes 8 minutes to remove the plow and quick hitch and hook up the loader if you need to move piles.

The most snow I've moved with my BX23 FEL is one about 1.5 inches and one about 2.0"
That's the most snow we've had since I got the BX23 in Sept. 2004 except for the 4 incher we got this past December.
I used the BX1500 I got in Nov. with the 60'' front blade for that one.
I just get off the BX1500 and climb on the BX23 If I need to move piles of snow.

/ FLOATING FRONT END LOADER BX24 #9  
I didn't have much luck using the float option either when moving snow. Last year my driveway was narrow so a lot of removing snow was on the lawn. Well the bucket either dug into the lawn, or the bucket would rise up onto the snow after a bit if the bucket was angled up just a bit. Even if I just lifted the bucket up a bit it seemed like it would rise and start just compacting the snow. I couldn't take a nice cut say 1 inch from the ground. It was a pain to say the least. I bought a used ATV 60" plow and mounted that in my bucket. It works pretty good so far. It is nice to still have the FEL so you can make the piles high. I think my next project is to make a snow foil since I can get snow coming over the top of the plow on the bigger storms.

Chris

/ FLOATING FRONT END LOADER BX24 #10  
LBrown59 said:
The most snow I've moved with my BX23 FEL is one about 1.5 inches and one about 2.0"
That's the most snow we've had since I got the BX23 in Sept. 2004 except for the 4 incher we got this past December.
I used the BX1500 I got in Nov. with the 60'' front blade for that one.
I just get off the BX1500 and climb on the BX23 If I need to move piles of snow.

I dont know what I am more jealous of, The fact that you barely get snow, or that you have 2 BX to choose from!