Will a L-39 do the Job?

/ Will a L-39 do the Job? #1  

ricoace

Hi Guys
I have some property (15 acres) In Bastrop County Texas. A majority of the property is over grown with small youpons and "weed" trees less than a inch in diameter.
I have been researching compact tractors and the Kubota L39 is def a runner up in me making a decision to buy a used one. My question is, Is this tractor powerful enough to using the front loader to push down small trees? The land is Pretty much flat. If not what kind of horse power would I need?

What would something like the L39 cost to rent and would you need any special licences to rent one?

Thank you in Advance

RIck

/ Will a L-39 do the Job? #2  
Welcome to TBN! Great place to learn the ins and outs of tractors. The L-39 is a stout machine. I would imagine that pushing over 1" trees wouldn't be much of an issue.
Question comes to mind, though --- why wouldn't you just mow everything --- especially if it's just brushy, small trees?
The L-39 should be able to pull a 5'-6' bush-hog type rotary mower through vegatation you describe.

AKfish

/ Will a L-39 do the Job? #3  
I've used an L2250 to brush-hog entire shrubs consisting of a dozen or more 1" diameter woody stalks. You wouldn't even know you were driving over one, and the L-39 is a much heavier machine.

/ Will a L-39 do the Job?
"why wouldn't you just mow everything " Thank you for the reply!
Well, I thought of mowing, I bought The property to do a little Bowhunting, If you dont get the youpons at the root, they grow back at a incredible rate! Plus they are some bigger trees that would have to be sacraficed in order to get the smaller "weedier" trees.

I fear that it would be a lot of work to mow on property that I only visit a couple of months out of the year only to have to do it again, however its still an option. Alot of hunters, especialy bowhunters like it thick! And thick is good. I like to be able to see whats coming my way.I want to create small pastures, edges and draws on my land, mainly for food plots ect..

There is a old pond also on the property I would like to enlarge, with the back hoe on the L39, it shouldnt be any problem. I have some land in Southern Il also, and this Tractor would be a dream for that particular piece of property also when I get ready to move back....One Day!

Thank you for your replies

Rick

/ Will a L-39 do the Job? #5  
I use my little L all the time in the woods and thickets. Just mow the shooting lanes and ATV trails. Mowing will also mulch up the trees and not leave them piles up anywhere. You don't want them bucks to go around a mess!! :D :D

couple pics...first pic the left side of the fence use to look like the right side..
second pic, the lane I cut looked just like the left and right...
third, again look at the left and right, I just picked a line that didn't have a large tree in the way.

And the last...my tractor in the woods. These trails have lasted 3 years so far. They get some ATV traffic. The grass has grown up a bit but nothing worth mowing yet.

Good Luck,
Rob

Attachments

• mowedclearing1 (Small).JPG
    mowedclearing1 (Small).JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 315
  • newroad3s.jpg
    newroad3s.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 311
  • newroad2 (Small).JPG
    newroad2 (Small).JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 257
  • tractorinwoods (1).JPG
    tractorinwoods (1).JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 296
   / Will a L-39 do the Job? #6  
ricoace said:
Well, I thought of mowing, I bought The property to do a little Bowhunting, If you dont get the youpons at the root, they grow back at a incredible rate! Plus they are some bigger trees that would have to be sacraficed in order to get the smaller "weedier" trees.

I fear that it would be a lot of work to mow on property that I only visit a couple of months out of the year only to have to do it again, however its still an option. Alot of hunters, especialy bowhunters like it thick! And thick is good. I like to be able to see whats coming my way.I want to create small pastures, edges and draws on my land, mainly for food plots ect..

There is a old pond also on the property I would like to enlarge, with the back hoe on the L39, it shouldnt be any problem. I have some land in Southern Il also, and this Tractor would be a dream for that particular piece of property also when I get ready to move back....One Day!

Thank you for your replies

Rick

I'm not familiar with your type of trees but the ones that grow here just bend and maybe break when you hit them with the FEL but remain firmly attached to the ground. They certainly do not come out roots and all. Also, The FEL is going to be about as wide as the mower, I'm not sure you are going to have more selective control with the FEL.

What I've done is mow down the trees I want gone and then come back with a pump up sprayer with stump killer to finish them off. You can leave the trees you want, mow the rest and after they are sprayed, they don't grow back.

Next best option would be a self propelled string trimmer with a brush blade. You would have very good control of what you cut and you can hang the sprayer on the trimmer and squirt as you go.

If you are clearing acres, I would definately use a bush hog and probably use a 3pt sprayer.

With a 5 ft mower 3pt sprayer and a 39 hp tractor, you could finish the job in a day. If you try to dig them out with a FEL, you probably have a job that your grand children can finish for you.

/ Will a L-39 do the Job? #7  
ricoace said:
Well, I thought of mowing, I bought The property to do a little Bowhunting, If you dont get the youpons at the root, they grow back at a incredible rate! Plus they are some bigger trees that would have to be sacraficed in order to get the smaller "weedier" trees. ...
I have read the "just mow the woodies" posts with amazement. These folks must love mowing A LOT. Because there is only ONE woody (i.e. tree, shrub, vine) native to Texas that can be killed by mowing -- the Ashe Juniper AKA cedar. ALL other woodies actually come back stronger and often much meaner when mowed (e.g. measure the thorns an a mesquite before and after mowing).

If you are trying to remove a Texas woody (other than Ashe Juniper) do it by removing the roots or be prepared to mow it for the rest of your life :)

Talon Dancer

/ Will a L-39 do the Job? #8  
dangerdoc said:
...a self propelled string trimmer with a brush blade. You would have very good control of what you cut....
Even better....

I love my L3240 but my tool of choice for brush control is a Stihl 250, with a shoulder harness and a brush blade (skill saw on a stick) . This kit will easily cut brush up to 3" in diameter and can be used for up to 4-5" with some practice. And it leaves the brush stump about 1" above ground level -- much safer for foot traffic. Think how good it would feel to trip and fall on a ragged youpon stump cut by a brush hog at 4-6 inches :eek:

The Stihl gives me the control to remove only the undesired species down to the individual plant. For example, I used this setup to clear 4 acres of ashe Juniper (AKA cedar) so dense that you could not see the hundreds of +6' high Texas Buckeye embedded in the cedar break. After the cedar was dropped the Buckeye were still so thick you couldn't walk between them without touching their branches. :)

I use the cut brush for creating wildlife habitat and erosion control. In the case of the buckeyes, I placed the cut cedar in long thin brush piles along the contours of the slope. We had lots of rain in Central Texas this year. These erosion control brush piles worked like a charm slowing the water and holding back the soil.

Cedar is easy, because you only have to remove the last bit of green and it's dead:) A mix of Remedy and diesel will kill the stumps of almost any other Texas woody. I use a dampened rag to wipe the freshly cut stumps. This reduces collateral damage from over spray.

Talon Dancer

/ Will a L-39 do the Job? #9  
What may work best to remove roots and all may be the backhoe? Won't be as quick as brush hoggin but you can get the roots out with minimal damage. Takes a little practice but if you rack the bucket teeth along the ground and curl as you hit the base of the bush it should pop out with little ground damage. I say this not having any experience with Texas ground conditions but it has worked well for me in Ohio.

/ Will a L-39 do the Job?
Wow, great great Advice from all! I never got a responce like this ever from the othe r forums..."Papa, Im Home"
I am no expert, but I am afraid, Talon is right...Texas grows em tough, Ive been to Deer stands that I have spent Hours clearing, only to come back next season to a thicker mess...like I was never even there! Especially those dang youpons. I will keep all the advice at hand though and make a better decision on which route to take...Thank you all.