3ph Log Splitter

/ 3ph Log Splitter #1  

bwest

I have a gray market 1500 DT. I have no owners manual. I have not been able to locate any aux hydraulic ports. Can I use the hydraulics of the tractor to run a splitter?

/ 3ph Log Splitter #2  
I am not sure where you can connect into the tractors hydraulic system, but the bigger problem might be in the GPM of the tractors hydraulic pump. Most wood splitters have two stage pumps, the first stage is high volume low pressure to allow the ram to travel faster until it starts splitting. Then once pressure builds to the point where the second stage kicks in with low volume high pressure to split the piece. Once the piece is split the low pressure high volume first stage takes over for the return stroke.

The tractors hydraulic pump is single stage and tends to be a lower volume than the first stage of a wood splitters pump. This makes the cycle time of the splitter slow. The other option is to get a 3PH mount hydraulic pump to provide power to the splitter.

Most of the time a stand alone splitter is the best way to go. Check out some of the past posts on wood splitters.

Randy

/ 3ph Log Splitter #3  
I have to agree with Randy. When I was in the market for a splitter I borrowed one friend's tractor-powered one, and then another friend's self-powered one. Self-powered wins, hands down. Disconnecting the splitter from the tractor allows you to use the tractor to haul split wood to the shed while yer kid keeps splitting, etc. Plus yer not putting hours on yer expensive tractor engine. The little Honda engine on my 27 ton Troy-Bilt just sips fuel; I'm pretty sure its more economical than running a whole tractor would be.