Increasing tread width on B1700

/ Increasing tread width on B1700 #1  

bigrazor

Tractor
Kubota B1700
I'd like to widen the rear wheels on my B1700. The wheels are already flipped - the hub (proper term?) is already on the inside of the rims. Where should I place the jack? Will the drawbar carrier support the weight of the tractor? I have the turf tires. Will I run any problems or cause any damage if I set the tires on the widest position? The manual shows that the widest setting with turf tires on the US model is with the wheels flipped but not the outside pin. For all other combinations, it shows the outside pin. Is there something different about the US model with turfs?

/ Increasing tread width on B1700 #2  
There shouldn't be any problem jacking the tractor up by the drawbar bracket.

As for increasing the tread width, I wouldn't use a wheel or spacing technique not recommended by the manual. You don't say exactly what you're trying to accomplish, but I assume it's stability-related. If so, you might look at wider tires. They increase the tread width, and provide more room for ballast.

Mark

/ Increasing tread width on B1700
I'm just looking at increasing stability. Most of my property is pretty hilly so I figured any extra stability would be nice. Thanks for the input.

/ Increasing tread width on B1700 #4  
What size tires do you have now? Do you only use it for mowing?

/ Increasing tread width on B1700 #5  
I have ags on my 1700, and I turned the wheels around so the concave side (valve stem ) is facing out, AND set the wheels as wide as possible. This added 10 inches to my width, and aidedstability a ton. Only concern is if you have a mid mount mower that might limit how wide you can go without hitting the deck wheels with your tires. Otherwise, wider is better!

/ Increasing tread width on B1700
Its got the 32x12.50 turfs that came with it. I just bought it this winter. I use it for plowing the driveway with a rear blade. For mowing, I use a rear mount mower. It has the loader also.

/ Increasing tread width on B1700 #7  
If you don't have any ballast in the rear tires, I'd suggest you add 50% liquid ballast to them. That will help more than anything else, at this point.

/ Increasing tread width on B1700 #8  
A couple idea's.

One: Stocton wheel, Stockton Calif. They will take your rim, and move the center portion for more or less offset customized your tastes.

Two: Is your tractor 4wd? If not, you could mount a wider pickup truck off-road tire. Since the advent of the new "SUV's", that can not be lifted, many manufacturers have come out with tires that are significantly wider, but still short enough so the vehicle does not need to be lifted for clearance. This may offer you a option. I have seen 16+" wide tires advertised in the off-road and four-wheeler magazines that would mount on you 16" rim.

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif