Help please - L2850 is dead!

/ Help please - L2850 is dead! #1  

Duckguy

Hi Everyone,

I'd appreciate any help or advice on my situation. I'm an OK mechanic (or so I thought), but electrical problems drive me nuts. And it appears that's what I have here.

Our work tractor is a 2003 Kubota L2850. It's always been a decent tractor, but last time we went to start it, it cranked over but didn't fire right away, backed off the key, then turned it and NOTHING. Just dead. No dash lights, no head lights, tail lights, hazards, nothing. For about 2 seconds the hazards came on then quit. We've had some battery problems in the past, so we threw a new battery in it for the heck of it and new negative cable (old one was worn). Still nothing.

The fuse panel up by the radiator has no blown fuses and conductivity checks out on all of them. The fuse box is also getting power according to my multimeter. I've tried to trace power from the battery throughout and I'm utterly confused. It goes to the key, you turn the key and it goes out the way it should, but I have no lights on the dash, no head tail, etc. lights, won't crank, just nothing.

It seemed like it could be some kinda disabling safety switch, but I can't find it if there is one. The clutch switch seems to work...power comes out the other side when compressed. Is there one in the seat? We can't seem to find it if there is, and I didn't think that explained the lack of even dash lights.

So, what other things specifically might cause this complete loss of electrical? I don't have a wiring diagram so I'm at a bit of a loss at this point. I can't help but think this is probably something simple.

Thank you in advance!

Josh

/ Help please - L2850 is dead! #2  
I think your idea of a safety switch being thrown is right... however, I am not familar with your tractor so cannot give specific help. If it were my tactor, I'd make sure that the seat safety switch was not thrown.

/ Help please - L2850 is dead! #3  
Don't know what the L2850 has for a transmission, Josh, but make sure all levers are in neutral and maybe fiddle with them a bit and retry even if they are. Could be it thinks it's in gear.

Also could be that the ignition switch itself is the problem. Lack of any dash lights seems to point in that direction.
FWIW

/ Help please - L2850 is dead!
Thanks for all the advice thus far! I have indeed messed with the shift levers multiple times, but to no avail. Unfortunately, I can't find where the neutral safety switch is or connects to the harness. Same with the seat, but maybe I'll pull it out and take a closer look.

Regarding a fuseable link - I'll take a closer look. I didn't find one the other day, but I didn't look as hard as I'd have liked.

Does anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram for this that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg.

Thanks again for the help thus far, and any further suggestions also appreciated.

Josh

/ Help please - L2850 is dead! #6  
If there is a clutch, there may be a safety interlock on it. There could also be a bent switch on the transmission linkage where it enters the transmission, one other member recently had that problem. Are there implements attached? I had a safety interlock switch go on a MMM once, and didn't find it first. :embarrased: Just some things to toss out there.

/ Help please - L2850 is dead! #7  
03 wouldn't have a seat switch.

With the problems you stated I would look at the key switch since you are not getting any dash lights.
If it was a saftey switch you would still get dash lights, headlights, turn signals.

/ Help please - L2850 is dead! #8  
Josh,

If it did not "fire" the first time and now it won't crank, it could be a bad ground or positive connection. If you would post your location I am sure a member in your area might be able to help you or at least steer you to some one who can.

/ Help please - L2850 is dead! #10  
Check to see if there is a main fuse that is not located in the fuse panel.