B5200 Project tractor contined. Turbo time.

/ B5200 Project tractor contined. Turbo time. #21  
ripplefct said:
The tractor makes just under 10 psi of boost under load and 2500 RPM. I dont have my pyromoter so Im not sure how hot were running yet. No load boost is 7 to 8 psi. It's amazing how much air this little turbo will move. I am running a straight pipe right now.

This in interesting, no load exhaust temps should be around 200 degrees, maybe less and you are getting 80% boost at no load. 100% under load where exhaust temps are triple that? this would mean no turbo lag which has been a turbo problem since they were invented. I wonder how you are getting that much boost with no real heat being produced.

/ B5200 Project tractor contined. Turbo time. #22  
ripplefct said:
The tractor govener takes care of the extra fuel. When you lug the motor the gov kick in to add fuel, which in turn makes more exhaust making the turbo make more air. It would be nice to bump the fuel up a little more though. I havn't figured that one out yet. I need some drawings on the injector pump.

Rip.

The injection pumps and/or settings are probably different on a turbo vs. natural. The governor uses the engine speed and fuel lever position to determine how much fuel to put in. The factor the pump doesn't know about is that more air is being forced into the cylinder.

We sent our pumps out so I can't give you anymore more detail on the pumps themselves other than the setting were different on a turbo vs. natural on like engines. But the timing specs were dirrerent to. If you watch the exhaust temps you should be able to find a sweet spot without burning up the motor.

Your next project should be some sort of PTO connect dyno. Maybe it doesn't need all the elerctonic stuff to tell you the actual hp, but provide a continous load to monitor the temps for 10-15 minutes without interuption. Our dyno had a water break in it.

I remember testing engines on a dyno, they would run at the rated hp, maybe a little more nice and easy. Add some more load and they would fall flat.

Good Luck looks like a cool project.

/ B5200 Project tractor contined. Turbo time.
Thanks for your info Rob. I'm no turbo expert for sure. I'm learing as I go. You mentioned in your first post about the temps. The turbo does run extreamly cool. As far as turbo lag. This turbo is so small that that it can spin up almost instantly as you increase the load. There is hardly any weight to the turbine or compressor. It also spools down very quick like. The only real load I have been able to put the tractor under is pushing snow. So thats no test of how much heat this thing will produce. I am building a back hoe for the tractor with a large gear pump on it. That will use some power to run. So that will be a good test of what I can really get out of it.
I haven't found allot of info for small turbo diesel motors out there. I will gladly take any info I can get. Like on the injector pump. It would be nice to know what to do with the timing. Or if I can actually get more fuel of of it. So if anyone knows... Pleas pass it on.

/ B5200 Project tractor contined. Turbo time. #24  
I forgot a couple things in my post...if you are in a high elevation area you stand to gain some benifit out of a turbo with the thinner air and all.

If the turbo is running cool then it might not be doing much. More fuel=more heat=hotter expanding gasses to spin the turbine. This won't happen with an engine at no load. When I was young I ran some Jd 4230 100hpo tractors. After some hard work and you killed the engine, the turbos would take a half minute or more to stop spinning.

Also you will mostly here the whine while under load. Notice how a semi starts to whine when going up a hill, not much turbo sound going down hill because the engine is coasting and the heat is way down. When we loaded up a new engine on the dyno, it'd burn the paint off the muffler in about 2 minutes. your talking 700 to 900 degree range when working hard.

Believe it or not there is tons of science in a turbo and matching it to an engine. To much for me to explain!! :D (or know).