B5200 Project tractor contined. Turbo time.

/ B5200 Project tractor contined. Turbo time. #1  

ripplefct

Tractor
Kubota B7500HST
Ok I have finally gotten back to the project tractor. If you have read my previous posts (B5200 Project tractor), I have been promising a turbo addition. No I really didn't need the power. It has guts enough. But what's a guy to do with his spare time during the winter. So here's what we have. The turbo is the smallest turbo you can buy. I got mine off of ebay. It's a KKK kp31 off of a smart car (diesel). I had to machine the manifold assembly off the turbo because it comes as one piece. I then built the header off of the manifold to the turbo. I had some flanges water jetted to fit onto the factory manifold. That way I can take the turbo off easly if needs be. The turbo fits nicely under the hood and the tail pipe snakes its way out from under the hood just forward of were the factory muffler would have been. Minimal cutting. I plumbed in oil feed lines off the oil sensor port, and dumped the exit oil back into the valve cover. Take a look at the pics. There will be more to come as I try to make it look more professional. The tractor makes just under 10 psi of boost under load and 2500 RPM. I dont have my pyromoter so Im not sure how hot were running yet. No load boost is 7 to 8 psi. It's amazing how much air this little turbo will move. I am running a straight pipe right now. The tractor runs pretty quiet for not having a muffler. Probably as quiet as with the muffler on it. But now it has that way cool turbo whine. Tell me what you think of the project so far.

Rip.

Last edited:
   / B5200 Project tractor contined. Turbo time.
a couple more pics.

Last edited:
   / B5200 Project tractor contined. Turbo time. #3  
ripplefct said:
But now it has that way cool turbo whine. Tell me what you think of the project so far.

Rip.

I want the whine on mine!

I whish I could upload a sound clip. It is soo cool. This is the second turbo that I have done. This one is way better than the first.

Rip.

/ B5200 Project tractor contined. Turbo time. #5  
I'm amazed how much room is under the hood! My L5030HSTC is jammed so tight, I can't understand how they got the turbo into the 40 series with the same hood and engine.

/ B5200 Project tractor contined. Turbo time. #6  
Dude, that is SOOOO cool. You could video a clip and post it to YouTube, then post the link in this forum so we can enjoy the sounds of turbo-bota fury!!!

I would give anything just to justify a bad-*** stack sticking up out of my hood like that. Perfectly wicked!

Just out of curiosity: No wastegate? Is there a problem with running a turbo 100% of the time like that? Just curious...I honestly don't know...

Does it make any more power? Don't know if you could even tell...I'd do it just for effect...SO cool.

Just out of curiosity: No wastegate? Is there a problem with running a turbo 100% of the time like that? Just curious...I honestly don't know...

Does it make any more power? Don't know if you could even tell...I'd do it just for effect...SO cool.[/QUOTE]

The wastegate only kicks in at 14 PSI on this turbo. Im only making 10 PSI. A tractor is unlike a car where you are constantly in and out of the turbo. Tractor tend to be set at an RPM and left to work. So you want 100 percent boost all the time. The turbo spools pretty quick both up and down so very little chance of needing a BOV. It's a pretty simple system.
And Yes it does make more power... Like ALLOT!!!!!!. Im going to need to get bigger tires for it.

Rip

/ B5200 Project tractor contined. Turbo time. #9  
How do you add more fuel under boost?
Or are you just adding more air....and running too lean?
I'm familiar with gas turbos, but not diesel turbos...

/ B5200 Project tractor contined. Turbo time. #10  
Diesels do not have a throttle plate like gas engines. In theory they pull the same amount of air at idle as they do when running at higher rpms (not counting the turbo forcing in air). So they naturally run lean.