Gator Blades

/ Gator Blades #1  

flyingpostman

Well, the snow may be deep out there and it sure is cold but my thoughts are going to warmer days and lawnmower blades. I have a TG1860D and the 54" Mid Mount mower and it needs new blades. I have been looking up Gator Blades as they would come in handy especially in fall for mulching all the leaves. Anybody have much experience with them for these lawn tractors? Will it clog up my mower or anything? What about their quality?

/ Gator Blades #2  
There was a bunch of talk about this in the fall. Nothing specific to your tractor though. I use them all year round and love them.

/ Gator Blades #4  
IMO they work better than the low lift stock blades that came on my MMM. They tend to shred clippings a bit more as well. I have not had any issues with them but usually only mow when dry and no shorter than 3.25-3.5".

They aren't much more $ than replacement stock blades, so, worth it to me.

/ Gator Blades #5  
Mixed feelings here. They do a great job on leaves and heavy stuff, but seem to leave a few more straglers than the regular high-lift blades. I have both and use the gators in the early spring and for leaf grinding in the fall but use the high-lifts all summer. YMMV

/ Gator Blades
Unfortunately it seems that they don't make the Gator blade to fit my mower. Are there any other brands of mulching blades that I can look into? Looking at the sizes available my tractor seems like a bit of an oddity (TG1860D with RCK54TG mower deck). The blade size is: 18.750 (approx) long, 2" wide, .718" hole, .250" thick.