Full folding ROPS for Bx's

/ Full folding ROPS for Bx's #1  

drtydeed

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23
Has anyone had luck in finding a supplier of folding ROPS for the BX22-24's? I'm getting a little tired of fracturing my skull on the BX23 :mad: . The current ROPS folds down less than half way and also prevents mowing under some trees. Pretty crappy design IMO. I looked at one manufacturer, but seemed to only cater to JD.

Not sure if cutting out the offending steel would significantly weaken the structure. I know that you're not supposed to mess with these things, but, it's startin' to get on my nerves. Suggestions?

/ Full folding ROPS for Bx's #2  
I had a BX22 for four years, and that ROPS drove me a little nuts too. I like the BX series, and am considering another, but I sure don't like that thing. When up it seems to catch everything in the area.... be very careful with it up in the woods, things you think are out of range aren't! :eek:

Femco, or Hercules might make one for you like they do for the JD 2305. I haven't seen them listed at the web sites though. Another option is to swap it out for the fixed ROPS that comes with the BX2350. People use the Woods backhoes with that installed, so it might work, and it is a nice size, and shape. One guy on here took off the top half, and put ladder protectors over the exposed ends, but I sure wouldn't recommend that!

/ Full folding ROPS for Bx's #3  
Theres no direct replacement fully folding ROPS for the BX TLB's unfortunately. I'm sure someone could make one but I'd say it would be price prohibitive.
I used to contemplate modifying my BX23's ROPS too. I've bumped my head one too many times and that danged thing hanging out the back when folded would hit fences etc when backing up and then I just gave in and went in another direction. If you can't whip 'em join 'em. (and be prepared to do alot of trimming).

Attachments

• ROPS radio 4.jpg
    ROPS radio 4.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 460
   / Full folding ROPS for Bx's
I've been thinking about just slicing out the piece that prevents the ROPS from folding more (maybe take 2 inches out). That way it would fold down much further. I wouldn't think that it would compromise the strength all that much.

I use this thing commercially and almost took a fence down while backing up (folded) and a satellite dish off soffit while it was up. I just would think that "K" engineers would have come up with something a bit better.

/ Full folding ROPS for Bx's #5  
If you modify it to fold down further it will contact the backhoe. Not a good thing. I took off the top section for mowing. I'll put it back on if I get into hazardous situations or get ready to use the hoe..

/ Full folding ROPS for Bx's
I could still use the existing "folded" position holes when BH is on and it needs to go into the garage. Cutting the 2" from the back of the ROPS (where it makes contact to stop folding) should not effect it.

Not sure if I made any sense here...

/ Full folding ROPS for Bx's #7  
Dd,
That might work but with the frequency of people forgetting to lower the ROPS on the way into the garage, I'd hate to depend on remembering all that positioning with and without the BH. Sooner or later most of us would screw up and damage a hydraulic cylinder and a ROPS. If it's really a problem, maybe you could work a ROPS swap with one of the guys using a Woods BH on a 2350.