Stuck in gear

/ Stuck in gear
ccsial said:
Good news. From the looks of it make sure you move the lever full left or full right before going forward or reverse.
mos def:D

/ Stuck in gear #12  
Been looking online to see if anyone else had their tractor get stuck in gear, now I feel better. I have this same tractor (07) Kubota L3400dt with 400 hrs. and today I just had this same problem for the first time. I had to pry the low range bar back into the shifting lever. I wonder if the linkage is getting wore out, or out of adjustment, or even worse the shifting forks inside the transmission are getting bad?, I hope/prey not!!
This didn't happen when the tractor was new, but my biggest complaint is I always have to hold the clutch down for at least 8sec. before I cold put it in gear with out grinding, and that's a whole different story.

/ Stuck in gear #13  
Been looking online to see if anyone else had their tractor get stuck in gear, now I feel better. I have this same tractor (07) Kubota L3400dt with 400 hrs. and today I just had this same problem for the first time. I had to pry the low range bar back into the shifting lever. I wonder if the linkage is getting wore out, or out of adjustment, or even worse the shifting forks inside the transmission are getting bad?, I hope/prey not!!
This didn't happen when the tractor was new, but my biggest complaint is I always have to hold the clutch down for at least 8sec. before I cold put it in gear with out grinding, and that's a whole different story.

Your sifter is likely jammed like the OPs' in this thread.

The hold the clutch for 8 seconds to prevent grinding is almost normal. Mine is about 5 seconds. But a little grinding wont hurt anything, key word is a little and shift easy. ;)

/ Stuck in gear #14  
Your sifter is likely jammed like the OPs' in this thread.

The hold the clutch for 8 seconds to prevent grinding is almost normal. Mine is about 5 seconds. But a little grinding wont hurt anything, key word is a little and shift easy. ;)

Yes, my shifter jammed just like the pictures show on a few threads back, my son clamed vise grips on the low range bar and move it back into the shifter.
When I first got the tractor, I had to hold the clutch petal down for about 30 seconds before I put it in gear, I complained to Kubota and they gave me 2 more gallons of transmission fluid to put in it, and that brought it down to 8 seconds, witch was tolerable. Now my ? on the L3400dt is that this model has a 2 stage clutch and it has another clutch adjustment on the right side somewhere behind the loader in a looks like hard to get place, ok now the ?, would this be the cause of having to hold down the clutch before I put it gear, and or has anyone adjusted this, and is hard to do?

/ Stuck in gear #15  
Yes, my shifter jammed just like the pictures show on a few threads back, my son clamed vise grips on the low range bar and move it back into the shifter.
When I first got the tractor, I had to hold the clutch petal down for about 30 seconds before I put it in gear, I complained to Kubota and they gave me 2 more gallons of transmission fluid to put in it, and that brought it down to 8 seconds, witch was tolerable. Now my ? on the L3400dt is that this model has a 2 stage clutch and it has another clutch adjustment on the right side somewhere behind the loader in a looks like hard to get place, ok now the ?, would this be the cause of having to hold down the clutch before I put it gear, and or has anyone adjusted this, and is hard to do?

No, the L3400 is just a single stage clutch. The L3800 has a 2 stage clutch. Having to hold the clutch in for a few seconds is normal with most standard non synchronized gear drive tractors. But this is only after the clutch has been out with the motor running and trans in neutral, that gets everything in there spinning and it takes a few seconds to stop after you press in the clutch. Nothing wrong with it.

If you get in the habit of not letting the clutch out while running and in neutral you will rarely have any grinding. :)

/ Stuck in gear #16  
No, the L3400 is just a single stage clutch. The L3800 has a 2 stage clutch. Having to hold the clutch in for a few seconds is normal with most standard non synchronized gear drive tractors. But this is only after the clutch has been out with the motor running and trans in neutral, that gets everything in there spinning and it takes a few seconds to stop after you press in the clutch. Nothing wrong with it.

If you get in the habit of not letting the clutch out while running and in neutral you will rarely have any grinding. :)
Ya know, I may be wrong about the single stage clutch on the L3400, it might have a 2 stage?

The L2800 and L3200 Do have a single stage and the L3800 has a two stage. But now I'm not sure about the L3400??? Maybe someone who knows will speak up...

/ Stuck in gear #17  
Never heard of the L3200, at the time it wasn't showed to me. In (07) my budget gave me a choice between the L2800 and the L3400, the L3400 was a little more $ because is it has a 2 stage clutch and the motor might be bigger, other than that same size tractor. I went with the 2 stage clutch because I was buying a logging winch to go with it, and I knew when using the PTO powered winch, the 2 stage clutch would come in handy, and it did, and I'm guessing anything PTO powered, a 2 stage clutch would be nice to have, if one goes with a standard transmission, but if I could afford to do it over again, I'd probably go with an automatic transmission, witch brings up a good ? witch transmission, manual or automatic is the most durable or last longer with out major repair cost?

/ Stuck in gear #18  
The L3200 & L3800 replaced the L2800 & L3400.

So your L3400 is very similar to the L3800.

Automatic(HST) VS Manual (gear drive) is an old debate. Both are extremely durable and very few problems with either. That said, I personally do not like HST Trans at all. Give me a good old fashion gear trans with a clutch and I'll be happy.

/ Stuck in gear #19  
Your L3400DT has a 2 stage clutch, the HST models are single stage. The adjustment for the PTO clutch is behind the right side loader mount and is a pig to get at. You have to remove the mount to do it. I've checked mine a couple times.
I also had the stuck in gear problem, mine was a rusted and sticking clutch spline, dealer had to split the tractor to fix it, thankfully under warranty.

Sean

/ Stuck in gear #20  
"Give me a good old fashion gear trans with a clutch and I'll be happy" That's the same attitude I had in (07), maybe because that's the only kind of tractor I ever work with, starting with my Father's (46) Case. and at the time the HST tractor was a little more $, and I was trying to save as much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ as possible. I'm not that familiar with HST tractor but I think to make it move you have to hold down a petal, I wouldn't like that, I like to just put it gear and let it go.