glow plugs

/ glow plugs #1  

Cade

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L2650GST
how difficult is it to install glow plugs? Anyone do it themselves or is this above and beyond a Do it Youselfer? I have the plugs in mine, however nothing happens when I turn the key to warm the glow plugs. The tractor always starts, but it is also in an insulated garage.

Thanks in advance

/ glow plugs #2  
Best check out the battery current draw to make sure the glow plugs are not working before changing them.:D :D

/ glow plugs #3  
If you have ever changed spark plugs then you can change glow plugs.

Do like Egon said before you go to changing something that may not need changing...

/ glow plugs
Thanks. I hope the battery current is okay since it is a new battery. I will check it out this weekend. Any ideas on the cost of glow plugs (just in case)? Thanks again.

/ glow plugs #6  
Cade said:
how difficult is it to install glow plugs? Anyone do it themselves or is this above and beyond a Do it Youselfer? I have the plugs in mine, however nothing happens when I turn the key to warm the glow plugs. The tractor always starts, but it is also in an insulated garage.

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure why you are worried since you say the tractor always starts.

What do you mean when you say nothing happens when you turn the key? Have you tested the glow plugs with a VOM to see if they are burned out?

Tom

/ glow plugs
DesertRose,
I will start off with the fact that I am not a mechanic by any means. I can do the fundamental work and replace things hear and there, but that is as far as it goes.

When I turn the key to the left prior to starting, the glow plug indicator light does not function, and I don't ear anthing happening . The engine will start, but it takes a few minutes until it is running smooth. If I just turn the key to the right emmdiatley it starts the same way. I figured the plugs were shot. What do you mean by the VOM? Any help would be appreciated.

Like I mentioned, it does start however I am concerened if I have it outside in the extreme cold that I will not be able to get it started.

Thanks

/ glow plugs #8  
VOM= Volt Ohm Meter.

They are very handy tool to check voltages, continuity and resistance values of various items like glow plugs they will have a certain resistance value.

/ glow plugs
Okay, I guess I had a brain-fart. I will check that out this weekend, I hope.

thanks!

/ glow plugs #10  
Does your machine have a glow plug relay? On diesel pickups, the relays tend to go out before the glow plugs actually do. So if you have a relay, check that also - those are usually much easier to replace.