BX 1800

/ BX 1800 #61  
Dyer said:
other.
I had not considered and that was that if the wings were bent out, I might have to bend them back before anything else. It should have been obvious to me that this is exactly what had happened, because when the unit was new there was no gap between the auger shaft and collar bearing. I was pretty sure that the auger shafts hadn't shrunken in the cold air, ha! I measured everything and found a difference of an inch between the front of the wings and the back of the unit. It was now apparent to me that the wings on the 2750 are susceptible to bending outward, which surprised me somewhat because, although they are stamped sheet metal, they seemed fairly rugged. The wings bent slightly outward and the flange bearing cover on the inside of the wing pulled against the shaft bearing. The set screws on the collar shaft bearings weren't really meant to withstand (and obviously didn't) a lot of sideways force and would slip on the drive shaft a limited amount. That meant that as long as those wings could be bent by hitting the ice hardened snow banks, I would be right back in the same predicament as before with the pins.

I came up with what I like to call: "A $65.00 solution to a $1.58 problem." The wings won't bend out anymore and the shafts maintain precise positioning now, so when I shear a pin, it's a 5 minute job. Most of that 5 minutes is walking to the basement to get a new shear pin and wrenching the thing on, but those holes line up every time now. I had more time on my hands, so I added another support up higher on the wings using wire cable as an alternative....just for the fun of it. I have no intention of ever getting rid of the 2750, so I didn't care if it came out looking bad...as long as it worked...and it does (work that is!) As I said, although it was a $65.00 solution, I got about $1000.00 worth of fun working on it and just playing around with it, which sure beat sitting in front of the television waiting for summer.

My next project is putting a hydraulic chute rotation system on and I've posted some questions regarding that on TBN already.

O.K., go ahead and make fun! Dyer, retired

Nice fix John! Have you used it yet? Hope you're getting better day by day.
Barney

/ BX 1800
Barneyhunts said:
Nice fix John! Have you used it yet? Hope you're getting better day by day.
Barney

Hi Barney,

Yes I have used it and unfortunately I got to test out changing a shear pin. We've had some warm weather lately and I had adjusted the shoes down a little lower during the colder months when the driveway was frozen....forgot about it and dug up some soft dirt with some good sized rocks (I do the same thing every year, so nothing new.) No alignment problems and the shear pin change was less than 5 minutes. I look at this fix as barnyard engineering overkill, but I had fun doing it. They are forecasting another 6 inches through tomorrow, so I guess I will get more use out of the blower this season.

The neck feels great and I'm feeling back to 100 percent. I'm still being cautious for another few weeks....my past experience with this stuff has been that when I feel like I'm ready to do things normally, I re-injure myself, so this time I'm taking it slower. Thanks for asking! John, retired

/ BX 1800 #63  
Nice fix John! Looking at that blower, one would never think that it could spring like that. Being a Yankee is handy at times, yes? ( and fun too :D)

/ BX 1800
ChuckinNH said:
Nice fix John! Looking at that blower, one would never think that it could spring like that. Being a Yankee is handy at times, yes? ( and fun too :D)

ChuckinNH,

Thanks and I agree, you wouldn't think it could spring, but it doesn't have to spring much to put significant play in the shaft. Of course, up until I realized this, I didn't hesitate driving that thing into the snow banks hard either. I'll keep breaking shear pins, but it will be easier to change them now. The Yankee ingenuity is great, but the price of the fix is hard to justify (until it's 20 below and the wind is howling at 25 mph,) but again, I had fun doing it, so the price was worth it. It looks like you are going to get a dose of the snow tomorrow too? John

/ BX 1800 #65  
Yes, snow tonight, and maybe changing to rain tomorrow..... I live waay down south you know! :D :D

/ BX 1800
ChuckinNH said:
Yes, snow tonight, and maybe changing to rain tomorrow..... I live waay down south you know! :D :D

I just got the updated weather report from my neighbor, who was the guy using my tractor to clear the driveway for me after the surgery and he said we are just going to get a messy mix of snow early, then rain... for a slush filled day. I detected a disappointed tone in my neighbor's voice. I can operate the tractor now, but he enjoyed running the Kubota, so I was going to let him do some more. Sounds like we may escape the 6 inches here too. I won't feel too bad about missing more snow. John