Post Hole Digger for BX Series

/ Post Hole Digger for BX Series #1  

Barryh

Veteran Member
Harpers Ferry WV - Mountains of Shannondale
Tractor
Former owner of a P T -180 / Kubota BX-1500 .. A Craftsman Yard Tractor / John Deere 140 H-1 / Cub Cadet 108. And now ( Little Red ) a Power Trac 1425
Was wondering if anyone has had any experience good or bad with this little bugger? Thinking about picking one up next month. The shorter auger looks like it could be a real winner on my BX-1500. Thanks for any feedback. :eek:

Land Pride PD10 Post Hole Diggers

/ Post Hole Digger for BX Series #2  
There is a thread here where some doubts are raised about using a PD10 with a BX1500.

/ Post Hole Digger for BX Series
Hedgy said:
There is a thread here where some doubts are raised about using a PD10 with a BX1500.
Thanks will have to do some more research on the 3 point. I can't imagine power is an issue, most reports I've read using a digger with any BX, it bores barely off idle. Thanks for the feed back just the same.;)

/ Post Hole Digger for BX Series #4  
I use a Vassar (made in Oklahoma I think) PHD on my BX2200. Power has NEVER been an issue and I dig in hard clay. I run mine barely above idle and it's no problem. Once in awhile, if I hook a root, it will kill the tractor before it shears the bolt.

The issue I DO have with the combination is I can't twist enough to see how the auger is aligning to the hole. It sits so close to the tractor. Also, due to this closeness, It is almost a requirement to reposition the tractor as the auger goes down as the angle changes otherwise.

The biggest issue I have is that I've found it is much easier to dig a PH with TWO people, one standing on each side of the platform. It takes quite a contortionist to be able to engage the PTO with the left hand, operate the 3PH with the right, all while crimping your neck 180 degrees to the rear.

When we have several holes to dig, I get someone on the right to run the 3PH and I operate the PTO. While not safe, you COULD cheat and engage the seat belt, then use your hands controlling the HST to roll the Bota forward as the hole goes down to keep the hole perpendicular. Of course, this wouldn't be safe, so I don't do it, probably.............

ron

RonR said:
I use a Vassar (made in Oklahoma I think) PHD on my BX2200. Power has NEVER been an issue and I dig in hard clay. I run mine barely above idle and it's no problem. Once in awhile, if I hook a root, it will kill the tractor before it shears the bolt.

The issue I DO have with the combination is I can't twist enough to see how the auger is aligning to the hole. It sits so close to the tractor. Also, due to this closeness, It is almost a requirement to reposition the tractor as the auger goes down as the angle changes otherwise.

The biggest issue I have is that I've found it is much easier to dig a PH with TWO people, one standing on each side of the platform. It takes quite a contortionist to be able to engage the PTO with the left hand, operate the 3PH with the right, all while crimping your neck 180 degrees to the rear.

When we have several holes to dig, I get someone on the right to run the 3PH and I operate the PTO. While not safe, you COULD cheat and engage the seat belt, then use your hands controlling the HST to roll the Bota forward as the hole goes down to keep the hole perpendicular. Of course, this wouldn't be safe, so I don't do it, probably.............

ron
Hmmmm sounds like a real pain without some help :confused: do you have or need a down pressure kit for yours? We have hard packed red clay, shale and rock around here. I'm guessing it could be a problem with a large Auger bit. Thinking 9 inch?

/ Post Hole Digger for BX Series #6  
I have a Woods PHD 25 with a short 9" auger for my BX2200 and as previously stated power hasn't been a problem. I don't have down pressure and that hasn't been a problem, in fact, I have to take care that the auger doesn't screw itself into the ground. I don't put the lift all the way down at once. I'm satisfied with the performance of the PHD on my BX. Good luck!

/ Post Hole Digger for BX Series #7  
I have that exact one. I use it on my BX2350 last somer to plant trees and shrubs (no backhoe and regret that). I've had very little problems with it and can't wait to drill some more. One thing I noticed, is you want to "pull out" a lot to prevent it from digging to China. I almost got it stuck once because it wrapped right around a rock. My whole property is loaded with potato sized rocks.

If you have a lot of clay, maybe power would be an issue.

Scott (Frostyford)

/ Post Hole Digger for BX Series #8  
The LP PHD10 should be perfect for the BX1500. I run a full sized PHD on my BX2200. The PHD10 is a nice small unit and would match the BX1500 well.

Land Pride does sell a downpressure kit for that series. It isn't recommended by LP for the Model 10 (only model 15 and higher), however it can be put on. TBN member ultrarunner has the LP PHD10 and downpressure unit on his BX23. You would likely not need the downpressure unit unless you have hardpan. I think LP provides a Pengo auger with this PHD. Pengo augers are available with a variety of very agressive bit tips for differing types of soils, hardpans, and even rock.

I was at the Kubota dealer this week and saw a Gearmore sub-compact PHD Model D20 on a BX2350. Gearmore also provides Pengo augers and tips. It was about the same size as the LP PHD10. It was obvious that the BX2350 could take a bigger unit and that this little Gearmore would be more appropriate for a BX1500.

Gearmore mainly sells in the west, but does sell some things nationally, so don't know how easily available this unit would be in WV.

BTW, regardless of whether you went with LP or Gearmore, you can actually choose an alternate auger and tips from Pengo. Give them a look at:

Pengo

Tom_H said:
The LP PHD10 should be perfect for the BX1500. I run a full sized PHD on my BX2200. The PHD10 is a nice small unit and would match the BX1500 well.

Land Pride does sell a downpressure kit for that series. It isn't recommended by LP for the Model 10 (only model 15 and higher), however it can be put on. TBN member ultrarunner has the LP PHD10 and downpressure unit on his BX23. You would likely not need the downpressure unit unless you have hardpan. I think LP provides a Pengo auger with this PHD. Pengo augers are available with a variety of very agressive bit tips for differing types of soils, hardpans, and even rock.

I was at the Kubota dealer this week and saw a Gearmore sub-compact PHD Model D20 on a BX2350. Gearmore also provides Pengo augers and tips. It was about the same size as the LP PHD10. It was obvious that the BX2350 could take a bigger unit and that this little Gearmore would be more appropriate for a BX1500.

Gearmore mainly sells in the west, but does sell some things nationally, so don't know how easily available this unit would be in WV.

BTW, regardless of whether you went with LP or Gearmore, you can actually choose an alternate auger and tips from Pengo. Give them a look at:

Pengo
Hey, thanks for the info from all of you guys, it's greatly appreciated. Also if anyone with a 1500 has any of these units I would be interested in hearing about your experiences first hand. :eek:

/ Post Hole Digger for BX Series #10  
Barryh,

Have a read through the thread below. I think it may give you a higher confidence in the abilities of your tractor. blackmajicwoman put a Woods BH6000 backhoe on his BX1500. Take a look at the trenches he dug and the stumps he pulled. Now it is true that I have not personally run a sub-compact PHD on a BX1500. In my own mind, I think that if my BX2200 can run a full sized PHD, ultrarunner's BX23 with LP PD10 and downpressure unit drills in serpentine rock with little effort, and blackmajicwoman can do this extensive backhoe work with a BX1500, I have a strong confidence that the BX1500 should have no trouble running a LP PD10 or Gearmore D20 in the soil you describe.

Again, I have not seen the combo, but hopefully these facts can ease your mind about the decision you are trying to make. It is your money, and I understand well not wanting to buy something when you aren't sure it will work. I myself have duripan-the hardest hardpan there is. Shovels and prybars just bounce off it, even when it's had water sitting on it for weeks. I debated for years as to whether a BX with backhoe could dig in it. A TBN neighbor, BX23Barry, brought his tractor over recently, and it did indeed dig in the stuff. That relieved my mind enough to order a Woods BH6000 for my BX2200. So, I agree with your caution. blackmajicwoman has other threads re. his BX1500. You can find those and posts by ultrarunner by using the search function. I hope this extra information is helpful as you try to make the best decision. Here's the main thread with blackmajicwoman's BX1500 and the Woods BH6000 backhoe:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...500-woods-bh6000.html?highlight=BX1500+BH6000