Ballast ballast barrel makes new tractor

/ ballast barrel makes new tractor #1  

blagg

Silver Member
Pendleton and Meacham, OR the coldest place in Ore
Tractor
08 Grand L3540 HST
Finished my ballast barrel 2 weeks ago and tried it out this weekend clearing 30 inches of snow from neighbors road and parking area. Before had to be very careful with new tractor as I almost tipped over because bucket in the air and unstable base! :eek: I made a ballast barrel from 55 gal drum filled near top with concrete, approx. 800lbs. Much safer feeling now. Great traction, not much spin and no chains! I shoved the top half off and piled on sides of road. Pushed the rest to the end of road. Cant wait til next year, maybe I'll get a snow blower. :D

/ ballast barrel makes new tractor #2  
Blagg,
Lets see some pics of that ballast and how you made it!

/ ballast barrel makes new tractor
Sorry this is not the best picture, its dark. Started with a 55 gallon drum with a 7/8 rod about 30inches long up 9 inches from bottom offset to one side. Then took 2, 3/8 x 2 x 12" pieces with bar welded across end, poked through side of barrel for top link. Filled barrel with 13 60lb sacks of concrete. That filled it 3/4 full

Attachments

• ballast barrel.jpg
    ballast barrel.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,720
   / ballast barrel makes new tractor #4  
blagg,

I've attached some pictures of a similar ballast barrel I made when I first got my tractor in 2003. I had it rigged with a removable top because I put dirt and sand in it to spread on the driveway when necessary. The bottom was just anchored to a crossbar using a bolt and rubber grommet to the center of the bar (because I wouldn't have wanted to lose a grain of sand out the bottom, ha!) I would put about 120 pounds in the barrel and could adjust the weight distribution by lifting or lowering the 3 pth. I have since replaced the barrel with a rear blade that I just keep on the tractor all winter. It's heavy enough to do the job and pushes snow, smoothes dirt, etc. much better than the modified trash can. Dyer, retired

Attachments

• BallastBarrellA.jpg
    BallastBarrellA.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 1,407
  • BallastBarrellB.jpg
    BallastBarrellB.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 1,288
  • BallastBarrellC.jpg
    BallastBarrellC.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 1,426
   / ballast barrel makes new tractor
I like it! I just love looking at other peoples creations. I dont think there is a bad idea out there. I can read these forums forever just to get ideas on how to build something else. Cant wait for the weekends!:D :D

/ ballast barrel makes new tractor #6  
I'm with you, I like seeing what others have done to correct minor problems and catching things before they happen to me now! I had a couple of disks in my neck replaced a few weeks back and am following Doctor's orders to lay low. I was looking for some upgrade stuff to order while recovering and came across TBN. I've been pretty much glued to it since and it's really helped relieve the cabin fever, but I've also come across many excellent ideas, suggestions, discussions, comparisons, you name it, and learned a great deal! Talk to you later. John

/ ballast barrel makes new tractor #7  
blagg,

What is the strap at the bottom of the photo for?