Slope Tractor Question

/ Slope Tractor Question #1  

boroxc

Tractor
B2920
I've been lurking here for a while and with the rates and new equipment Kubota has out I'm thinking of taking the plunge soon. I have been working on the house for the past 4 years. Well this year I plan on getting to the landscaping and maintance of the yard. Just another excuse for toys my CFO says! I'm really looking for some advice on a tractor that will help with the following. I know that no one unit will do them all well but what can I live with.

Requirements:
1) We supplement the radiant with a wood stove so I'll be moving logs and wood.
2) Living in Western NY we get our fair share of snow so I'll have that to deal with that.
3) landscaping round the house and at the pond out back. I'll need a loader and maybe a BH... Thoughts?
4) Mowing... This is a major concern...As you can see from the photos its a good slope and I'd like to mow perpendicular to the slope (fewer turns and no turn at the bottom where its steeper!)

We (the bank) own 7 acres and maintain about 4 the rest is pond (1+acre), steep hillside (1+acres) and fields which I'd like to brush hog regularly.

What tractor if one exists would you recommend for this job?

Thank you for any suggestions!

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 718
  • IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 651
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 604
   / Slope Tractor Question #2  
Beautiful home!

Slope looks tough. I've attached some images of my tractor on the "steep" part of my yard. I'm probably fairly safe, but always feel a little uncomfortable on this part of the yard. It feels much steeper when you are perched on the seat with 2,000# of very expensive (and paid off) machine under you.

Doesn't look like much in the pictures, but I am fairly certain that with the FEL and 100% certain that with the BH attached, there is a real risk of a tipover. I've tried it and can't get up enough stones to get too far down the hill. Remember, it isn't just the slope, it is if you hit ONE LITTLE HOLE or soft spot with the front or rear tire. Heck, a branch under the back tire at the wrong moment could send you over very quickly.

That said, I don't see how you could get around purchase of a ZTR for mowing that slope. I would feel concern just going up and down that slope, but if you are smart about it, you should be OK. Up and down. I don't think it is reasonable to think you could traverse that slope sideways with a tractor.

I have seen images/videos of a guy that "doubled up" his front and rear tires on a BX. I'm sure that would make for a VERY stable machine. However I think I saw a later post regarding a broken axle...undoubtedly from the immense stress of double tires. I don't believe he is operating it in that configuration any longer.

All that said, maybe a nice middle of the road B series would fit the bill. L would seem a little big. BX is a great machine, but it is more for the suburbanite on 2, maybe 3 acres. 4 acres is crossing firmly into B territory.

Attachments

• pucker 1.jpg
    pucker 1.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 663
  • pucker 2.jpg
    pucker 2.jpg
    737.1 KB · Views: 593
   / Slope Tractor Question #3  
Since you've been lurking for a while, I'll assume you've been following the threads on the new standard B series machines. I think one of those would be a good starting point. Light enough to mow with, though you should go with liquid ballast with your slopes, and should be powerful enough to do most of your chores.

Also, the B7800 or one of the deluxe B__30 series would do nicely, again, with loaded tires. I rented a B7800 last fall with loaded rears that was very stable on some pretty good slopes.

The one thing about ALL of the B series machines is the lower capacities make it a little more difficult/expensive to get FEL quick attach setups, as they tend to be a bit more specialized for those machines, and choices in those types of implements are more limited. But I'd think the L series might be a bit of overkill in your situation.

Oh, and I'm sure you'll end up mowing up and down the slope more often, as running along it will probably be a bit unnerving.

Happy Shopping!

/ Slope Tractor Question
Bandit67 when I started my research a little over a hear and a half ago I first thought because of the slope that the BX 24 would do all I wanted. Then after reading, and reading, and reading.... I was concerned with the low ground clearance. After all its not a suburban lawn... And I have read that some have had issues with the oil filter getting the wrong end of a rock/log.

My next move was the B7610. I priced one out w/loader, BH, mmm, loaded tires, chains, front plow for around $24k!!!! I thought that was steep but it was low enough I thought to comfortable on the slope (if that is possible) yet large enough to do the plowing and wood hauling I'll need.

Regarding the new B's YES I WANT ONE!! Just finding it hard to compare them side by side. The lack of literature comparing all the B's and their respective loader, BH's..... Does make this more challenging they it should be.

KeithInSpace your slope is almost exactly what mine is. Only mine just gets steeper and ends up being over grown with brush. I'd hate to roll into that!! Speaking of that how many of you keep your loader on when mowing? I've thought that if it were on, and low, it would add more mass to a lower center of gravity? Or am I just hoping?

Just a thought but would I be out of line in asking a dealer if they would allow me to try one on my property? What could they do besides say no?

/ Slope Tractor Question #5  
boroxc said:
...how many of you keep your loader on when mowing? I've thought that if it were on, and low, it would add more mass to a lower center of gravity? Or am I just hoping?

I'd think that 90+% of the people mowing with a RFM (bush hog) leave the FEL mounted as counterbalance.

At the same time, I'd think that 90% of the folks mowing with MMM take the FEL if it is the quick-attach type. It takes LITERALLY 50 seconds to remove the FEL and having it mounted almost forces you to have something hanging off the back to counterbalance. If you are using a MMM, you are probably on turf and don't want all that extra weight. Plus the arms and hydraulics are quite heavy and well ABOVE your desired COG, so I'd say that if it isn't a wash, the net effect would be LESS stability.

As I said before, I have attempted to traverse this particular slope WITH the FEL and box blade and WITHOUT the MMM and could not muster the courage to do so. As a series of experiments I perform before attacking any unknown slope, I get as far as the uphill rear tire becoming "unweighted" (I can pick that corner of the tractor unassisted) and is the first step to tipping it over.

The only reason I regularly traverse that slope is that the MMM is mounted, the FEL is not, and the heavy bagger turbine is on the uphill side. I won't tackle the same slope going the other direction as the main weight of the bagger would then be on the wrong side.

Then again, maybe I'm a wussy.

/ Slope Tractor Question #6  
Keith, I think you are just showing very good judgement in your approach to your slopes. I didn't have a mmm for my BX22, and I found that even with loaded tires, it felt noticably less stable on slopes with the loader on than with it off. Keith is right, it actually raises the center of gravitiy. The backhoe, of course is even more noticable on any slope though it can be swung uphill as a counterbalance.

/ Slope Tractor Question #7  
I mow with a BX1850 w/54" mmm my slope is 5-10 degrees steeper and it still feels stable. It doesn't brake as well as I would like but stable. I don't use a bagger so my center of gravity is lower, also don't mow with the fel on it just gets in way and makes it unstable on slopes. I have even gone side to side a few times I do have to hold on it will make you pucker. Just depends how adventurous you are. With larger tractor your center of gravity will obviously be higher.

/ Slope Tractor Question #8  
Hi Boroxc,

I live in Western NY and have a Power Trac - my model can go cross slope on a 45° slope and I use if for similar things as you mentioned. Feel free to come over and try it if you are interested.

Ken

/ Slope Tractor Question #9  
Boroxc,

If you were to go w/ something like a B7800 or a B3030, and having to deal with your slopes I would highly recommend the rear wheel extensions. I have a B3030 HSDC w/out the wheel extensions and have some slopes around my house. More than once I have scared the crap out of myself on the slopes and I'm not sure they are quite as bad as the ones in your pics. Kubota makes 3" extensions for the 3030, if you were to get one make sure you get the extensions in your loan. Cause if you are like me you won't be willing to pay $400 for them after you take the tractor home. As you guessed I am still traversing w/out them, but do wish I had them. Also as others have mentioned, it only takes something the size of a marble under your upper rear tire to give you a scare. Not sure what I just tried to say, but for whatever it is worth!:confused:

/ Slope Tractor Question #10  
Nice place you have their:) and welcome to being an active TBN'r.

I live in the mountains and use my B7800 mostly to pull maple trees/logs from my 20 acre forest, landscaping and ploughing snow. It has served me well and it's 14.7" ground clearance, width and wheelbase give me a lot of security on my hilly land.

I had initially bought a BX23 but it was sent back for various reasons. I am glad I didn't buy it as the low clearance would have been problematic for me.

However, I think I would have been fine with one of the new smaller Kubota B series so I would imagine they would be perfect for your needs as well.

I was also going to reccomend one of the new Kioti CK20S now that they have fixed their loader cracking problems, added a suspension seat and some more HP. I see where a TBN member near me took ownership of a new CK20S with Kioti Backhoe for $17250 with some bucket hooks. I think that's a great deal but apparently the CK20S doesn't start well in cold weather so that makes it useless for me up here in the north.

I am glad I bought a good dependable Kubota that always starts and runs fine

Last edited: