Oil & Fuel L2900 front axel oil leak

/ L2900 front axel oil leak #1  

phone guy

Today I went into the shop and was suprised to find the floor covered in oil from the front axle (right side) . I used the tractor to move firewood into the shop on Monday and then found the oil leak today. I'm asking you guys if this is a fix for the average (backyard) mechanic (any special tools needed) ? I have posted photos to show where my problems is located, Any help would be appreciated.
Larry from Ohio
IMG_3318.JPG

IMG_3321.JPG

IMG_3316.JPG

/ L2900 front axel oil leak #2  
Is this an L-2800 (not sure what an L-2900 is)? How old and how many hours does it have?

/ L2900 front axel oil leak
Hi Thanks for getting back with me , I forgot to mention that my tractor is a 1998 L2900 4WD with 306 Hrs and has a bad oil leak. I noticed that I spelled axle wrong in the title.
Thanks Larry from Ohio

/ L2900 front axel oil leak #4  
I would start by getting the service and parts manuals and looking at those first to see if it is something you want to attempt.

You can order the manuals from messicks.com. You may be able to get a free parts manual from tractorsmart.com

Vic

/ L2900 front axel oil leak #6  
PHONEGUY:

Did you store the tractor overnight with the weight off the front? I have
seen that cause this seal to leak.

Anyway, the seal is easy to repair as long as you have a good right angle
snap ring pliers to pull the spindle apart. See photo.

Attachments

• L2550_frt_drv.jpg
    L2550_frt_drv.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 1,797
Thanks for the information you guys have givin me , I don't remember having the wheels up with the FEL, I normally shut the tractor off then bring the FEL down. I have a small pair of right angle snap ring pliers, do you think I will need a larger pair? I will not be on this job untill this weekend so if anyone has more good information feel free to send it on because all of it is very helpful to me. Thanks and keep the replys coming.
Larry from Ohio

/ L2900 front axel oil leak #8  
Hey Phone guy,
Your front axle seal has just given out, not too much to worry about. I changed out both on my L4200 last fall. It is messy but not too hard.
I actually used to floor jacks to hold the parts in place while I worked on the seal.
I had to buy the snap ring pliers from snap-on because i could not find any big enough.
I used the straight ones but had to lie on my side to get the ring out.
Kubota changed the design of the oil seals, so they shouold hold up longer/better.
Ken

Hey Kenonf,
Did you get yours off with large straight snap ring pliers? Also did you use Kubota super UDT or SAE 80 SAE 90 oil to refill the axle? How did you get the bottom cap off , just wondering if it is threaded on. Thanks for all the info

/ L2900 front axel oil leak #10  
Had the same problem with my old L2500. Like previously mentioned, not to bad of a job to replace the seal.