R4s for ags, any interest?

/ R4s for ags, any interest? #1  

dieselram

Gold Member
Tractor
2007 John Deere 3120 TLBM
I am looking for someone who has ags and wants r4s, I need more traction. My r4 don't have many hours on them. The tractor is the L2800/3400.

/ R4s for ags, any interest? #2  
dieselram said:
I am looking for someone who has ags and wants r4s, I need more traction. My r4 don't have many hours on them. The tractor is the L2800/3400.
The salesman tried to sell me R4s when I bought the 7520. They seem to do that for some reason. I blew him off. Hope you will be able to find a switch. Youll need wheels and tires both.
larry

/ R4s for ags, any interest? #3  
Do you still have the R4s

/ R4s for ags, any interest? #4  
I noticed after a parts shopping trip today that the dealer I was at has many tractors and all have the R-4 tires. Looks like AG's would be an optional thing.
I know its been debated many times here the pros and cons. I myself prefer the AG's.
Al

/ R4s for ags, any interest? #5  
I've seen talk of R4's and Ags and I did some web searches to find out what the difference between them. No luck on that. Could someone post some links where I can do a side by side?

/ R4s for ags, any interest? #6  
sunspot said:
I've seen talk of R4's and Ags and I did some web searches to find out what the difference between them. No luck on that. Could someone post some links where I can do a side by side?
Good question. I did a quick Google search and this is what came up.

There are three main types of tires on tractors today, Agricultural, Turf, and Industrial (R4). Each of these types of tires has specific applications. While tread designs vary between manufacturers the basic purpose of each tire design is the same.
Agricultural (AG) tires are the traditional tractor tires. The AG tire is tall and narrow with deep cleats, designed for maximum traction; pulling plows in a field, working in the woods and operating in muddy conditions. These tires can damage a lawn or field.

The turf tire is designed to minimize damage to a lawn. These tires are short and wide. Typically turf tires have soft sidewalls and non-aggressive tread. On a four wheel drive tractor these tires perform well year round for many homeowners.

The industrial tire was designed for loader work. They tend to be a wide tire with a stiff sidewall. The R4 is not as aggressive as an AG tire, but has substantially more traction than a turf tire. Many customers find R4's work well mowing lawns because they spin less than a turf tire.

Which tire is right for your tractor is a matter of personal choice based upon your needs. However, if our sales are any indication the R4 is the tire of choice for most people.

Union Farm Equipment - Tips

/ R4s for ags, any interest? #7  
I've got R4's on my L4200 and would be willing to swap for Ags in a heartbeat. Of course mine are pretty well worn! ;)

The R4's really aren't that bad though. My only real slippage is when I get into trying to dig in unbroken ground with my front end loader even with the toothbar you can make some pretty big ruts spinning the tires.

The Ags really shine in the mud, but I rarely end up using my tractor in the mud.

/ R4s for ags, any interest? #8  
sunspot said:

This page is from a small booklet in the Miscellaneous folder at Kubotabooks.com

Attachments

• Page from Tyre Types.pdf
    431.5 KB · Views: 233
   / R4s for ags, any interest? #10  
I found that I have a need for my loaded R1 tires many times a year but mostly can run with unloaded R4 tires. My only logical answer was to have both. I bought some "blem" R4 tires (only blemish I ever found was part of the warning info stamped on the side of the tire was unreadable) and found that I could get some rims from Hey Machinery Company for about 30% of what most places wanted for rims. The rims came just primed but were really easy to scuff off and paint before mounting the tires; which I did myself. I can tell you that R4's definitely have a stiffer side wall than R1's. But, after a bit of work, I had a complete 2nd set of wheels and tires in R4 tread for a fraction of what it would cost to just go to a dealer or tire shop and buy. I'm not sure if I can list the website or phone number for Hey Machinery here without violating any rules, but they sure are great old fashioned people to work with; very honest and trusting with the customer's needs the number one priority.