Bent cutting edge on Front Loader?

/ Bent cutting edge on Front Loader? #1  

madslick

Bronze Member
Hello all,
I have a front Loader (LA403) that I have succesfully been able to bend the cutting edge on it while trying to push down an old tree (don' ask).
The cutting edge gently bows down roughly 1/2" in the middle when compared to the sides.
Does anyone know how to bend it back?
Any comments/recommendations appreciated.
Thanks,
Rick

/ Bent cutting edge on Front Loader? #2  
Heat it up with torch and use bottle jack or chain come along, depending on which way the bend is (in or out). I would probably drill some holes and install a bolt on cutting edge to stiffen the bucket and beef up the current edge.

Good luck.

/ Bent cutting edge on Front Loader? #3  
Find another tree and push the opposite way. It may straighten!:D :D:D

Heat and a good sledge will do the job also.:D

The original cutting edges are not that sturdy. When the one on my loader wore out I had it cut off and replaced with a much heavier weld on type. It surely stiffens up the bucket.:D

/ Bent cutting edge on Front Loader? #4  
Try putting a thick bar or plate in the bucket that will reach the sides, and try to gently reshape it by using a porta power or a large c clamp just a little at a time. Never did it, just giving a suggestion. You must have given the tree a good ole push!
Another idea, might be to get a piece of plate steel as wide as the cutting edge, but heavier, and bolt it or weld it over the cutting edge on the bottom to make a heavier cutting edge, and straighten the existing edge at the same time.:cool:

/ Bent cutting edge on Front Loader? #5  
Egon said:
Find another tree and push the opposite way. It may straighten!:D Yes

Heat and a good sledge will do the job also.:D Careful!

The original cutting edges are not that sturdy. When the one on my loader wore out I had it cut off and replaced with a much heavier weld on type. It surely stiffens up the bucket.:D
Hitting metal directly with a hammer deforms the point of impact and effectively stretches the surface you have hit against. This tends to bow the metal away from the impact even while the whole piece of metal deflects in the direction you are trying to bend it. The two effects are in opposition. To prevent this, lay a piece of plywood on the surface and hit the wood with a good sized sledge. The 'cushioning' prevents the 1st effect.
larry

/ Bent cutting edge on Front Loader? #6  
Bolt a tooth bar on it after you get it relatively strait. If you don't have to heat it don't. better to straiten it cold. The tooth bar will add strength to it anyway but just using will straiten it anyway

/ Bent cutting edge on Front Loader?
Egon said:
Find another tree and push the opposite way. It may straighten!:D :D:D
.:D
That was my immediate "oh sh_t" response.
Ha ha ha, as Murphy would have it, it didn't bend back.

I'm slightly afraid of using Heat as it may permanently soften the metal.

I do like the comment about using a heavier bar over the cutting edge and by using a C-clamp to tighten the middle until it goes back to shape.
I think I may have to provide a little clearance on the Heavy bar in order to allow for a slight over-correction so that when I release the compression from the C clamp it should snap back into shape.

Thank you all for the comments so far.

Rick

/ Bent cutting edge on Front Loader? #8  
madslick said:
That was my immediate "oh sh_t" response.
Ha ha ha, as Murphy would have it, it didn't bend back.

I'm slightly afraid of using Heat as it may permanently soften the metal.

I do like the comment about using a heavier bar over the cutting edge and by using a C-clamp to tighten the middle until it goes back to shape.
I think I may have to provide a little clearance on the Heavy bar in order to allow for a slight over-correction so that when I release the compression from the C clamp it should snap back into shape.

Thank you all for the comments so far.

Rick
Correct on that, a spacer on each end to go slightly past straight is an excellent idea. Let us know how it works out, as I'm absolutely sure you are not the first, and certainly not the last to have this happen.....As in I could see this happening to me.:rolleyes:

/ Bent cutting edge on Front Loader? #10  
Egon said:
Use heat. It'll help!:D
Absolutely! Cutting edge steel, if high quality, is hard like a grade 5 bolt or maybe even grade 8. You dont want to use enuf heat to anneal it, but if you dont use some you are going to have to flex it way back beyond straight to get it to take a straight set. 600 to 800F will not spoil the original heat treatment. You can gauge this temperature by 1st lightly abraiding the surface to put a silver shine on the metal. Then put a couple 2x4s about a foot apart on hard ground or concrete. Press down on themwith the center of your bucket lip til your tractor lifts. This will hopefully flex the lip at least straight or even a little past. If not move the 2x4s closer, or just use one in the center. Now heat the lip back away from the edge with a big torch like a weed burner type blow torch. Move it back and forth left and right of center. When the shine turns straw brown you are at around 400F. At blue you are passing 600. At purple you are at 800 or so. Do not go further. If this didnt do it you need more force. Maybe push against a tree stump to flex the lip further past straight and heat. You will need to re shine the surface each time to gauge heat. If you try to do it without heat it is possible you will break the cutting edge especially if there are any bad nicks on the side that must stretch.
larry