Post Hole Auger

/ Post Hole Auger #1  

Anonymous Poster

I am looking for a good fence post hole auger for my B2150. Any ideas on what would be incldued in a good set-up and how much it would cost would be appreciated. Also, since alot of the work is on a slope, are there any special considerations. Looking for something to bust through hard clay up to 36" deep and 12-15" in diameter.

/ Post Hole Auger #2  
The best PHD I have seen so far is the Bush Hog. Make sure you get one with a slip slutch for that nasty clay or you will be replacing pins all the time.

/ Post Hole Auger #3  
There are many brands and types of auger diggers on the market. If you're looking for a PTO powered one, I think the Danuser models are the best there is. They are extremely well made and have optional downforce kits you can install if the weight of the digger itself isn't enough. I don't remember much about the cost of them, but they are more expensive than most, for reasons that will be obvious when you see it.

/ Post Hole Auger #4  
I've used the Bush Hog, and I guess I'm something of a Bush Hog fan and like their products, including the post hole digger, but I've also checked into, looked at, and read the literature on the Danuser, and I'm convinced Mark is right. The Danuser would be tops as far as I can tell.

Bird

/ Post Hole Auger #5  
I have a Rhino which work fine. I'll second the comment about the slip clutch. We have very rocky soil and I would go through 3 or 4 bolts per hole sometimes. I got a slip clutch and it works a lot better. I also bought a commercial grade auger with replaceable carbide teeth. That has made my hole drilling a lot easier. I haven't had the need for downpressure yet.

Dave