This is real work. Moving 560+ yards of material

/ This is real work. Moving 560+ yards of material #1  

allen in texas

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L 5740, loaded R1's w/640 lbs cast weight, 854 loader
I gonna figure out someday how to post pictures but until then, everyone will have to just listen to my story and picture this in your mind.

My brother in law wants to grow some more grass so...

Over the last couple of weeks, everyday after work, I have dug about 280 cubic yards of caliche out of an area between his house and his barn.
It was 8 to 12 inches deep in an area 90' x 100'. I stock piled it on the south end of his barn
I then dug out and moved the same amount of topsoil from the other side of his barn and filled the low spot left by the caliche and then put the caliche in the low spot left by moving the top soil.

Sure was a lot of dirt movin' I'm tellin ya.

I learned a couple of things
I learned how to get the most out of my tractor.
I learned that I love my tractor but I'm hoping it will grow up and be a L5740 someday
I learned that it needs more weight in the butt for doing extensive FEL work.
I learned I can get a cramp in my arm from turning the wheel so much.
I learned I reach a point I actually want to get off my tractor.

/ This is real work. Moving 560+ yards of material #2  
allen in texas said:
I gonna figure out someday how to post pictures but until then, everyone will have to just listen to my story and picture this in your mind.

My brother in law wants to grow some more grass so...

Over the last couple of weeks, everyday after work, I have dug about 280 cubic yards of caliche out of an area between his house and his barn.
It was 8 to 12 inches deep in an area 90' x 100'. I stock piled it on the south end of his barn
I then dug out and moved the same amount of topsoil from the other side of his barn and filled the low spot left by the caliche and then put the caliche in the low spot left by moving the top soil.

Sure was a lot of dirt movin' I'm tellin ya.

I learned a couple of things
I learned how to get the most out of my tractor.
I learned that I love my tractor but I'm hoping it will grow up and be a L5740 someday
I learned that it needs more weight in the butt for doing extensive FEL work.
I learned I can get a cramp in my arm from turning the wheel so much.
I learned I reach a point I actually want to get off my tractor.

You need a 10.00 wheel spinner to aid in turning the wheel, they are great.

My @** gets tired also after so many hrs:)

/ This is real work. Moving 560+ yards of material #3  
I hear ya bud. I had HALF of my pond dredged last year and used my L3400/463 FEL to move the spoils the excavator dug out. Thank DOG for HST! And now I have the other half to look forward to this year. Seriously thinking of getting a suicide knob for my steering wheel.