Cold Starting Problem

/ Cold Starting Problem #11  
<font color=blue>the hour meter reads the hours at PTO rpm</font color=blue>

Peter

I had wondered this about mine. 1 hour on the meter amounts to a LOT of mowing. So what is the go there.

If the PTO runs at half speed (say 270 rpm) does the meter only read half the time??

Confused and how does the meter know all this??

Mine is 20+ years old too?

Cheers

/ Cold Starting Problem #12  
Neil, they make'em both ways. When I had a B7100 (no tachometer) and the hourmeter was simply an electric clock. If the key was on, it was racking up time (even if the engine wasn't running) and it made no difference what RPM you ran the engine. And in fact a person could have turned off the key and left the engine running, and not rack up any time on the hourmeter. Then the B2710 had the other kind. It would rack up one hour in one hour at PTO speed, but less at slower speeds. In other words, it gets its "time" either from the tachometer or the same place the tachometer gets the RPMs. Sounds like your tractor does the same. So, <font color=blue>If the PTO runs at half speed (say 270 rpm) does the meter only read half the time??</font color=blue> Yes, if that's the type you have.

/ Cold Starting Problem #13  
Boid /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

I'll have to try that some time to see what happens. Makes me wonder if the low 500 hours on it are really a lot more.

Hey who cares when it is 20 years old anyway !!

Cheers

/ Cold Starting Problem #14  
Neil,

The term "hour meter" is a little misleading. Except for the clock type that Bird refers to the others are simply "revolution meters". They record the number of revolutions that the engine turns and convert them to hours for reference.

If the tractor is set up to record one hour for every hour the engine is running at 2000 rpms then it will only record .5 hours for the same amount of time at 1000 rpms. If you really turned up the juice and ran it for one hour at 4000 rpms the hour meter would record 2 hours of use (provided your tractor was still in one piece)

Clear as mud?

TBone

/ Cold Starting Problem #15  
Yeah I get it now.

I am used to the electric jobbies in planes and boats etc. Never come across this type. Sort of funny hey. I'd rather know how many hours the engine is running total but I am sure Mr. Kubota is smarter than me.

Cheers