Brake steering on an hsd...:)

/ Brake steering on an hsd...:) #1  

PBMAX

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC21D
I had hasked on the old board about a coment in one of the brochures and got various responses.But after today I thought I would try again.It stated(the bruchure) that on an hsd a tractor when the criuse is on applying the brakes turned off the cruise. Well today I stopped by a Kubota dealer today and had a chance to play on a B2410.The owner was there and I asked him about it.He said he wasn't sure how it worked.So WE sat there and played with the brakes and the cruise....LOW and BEHOLD----IT appeares that the folks at Kubota actually thought it through...Here is what we found...(the tracor was off at the time)The only time the brakes released the cruise was if both brakes were aplied.Pressing either the right or the left seperately did not appear to disengage the cruise...Unfortunatly do to lack of time thanks to mother nature(rain).I did not have the apportunity to try it out while the tractor was running.So would some one out there please test this with the tractor running.Besides I would like to see if this is a new feature or if it works such on all hsds...(that have 2 brake pedals)...Some times I just get curious about something and it just wont go away..

Lil' Paul

/ Brake steering on an hsd...:) #2  
PBurns, you are correct. The cruise control is not disengaged when either the left or right brake is used, only when both are used together.

/ Brake steering on an hsd...:)
Mark,I fingured.. ah...figured as much it only makes good sense...But sense when has anyone ever counted on an enga-neer having good sense....!!!!!I should know I are 1..(in eletronics)...SHHH ITS A SEE CWIT.....
Thanks Mark.......P.S. I printed out the pages on the smiley faces ya'll pointed me to now splain to me lucy...what am I doin wrong.....Any tips....

Lil' Paul

/ Brake steering on an hsd...:) #4  
PBurns, to create a 'smile' face, you put the following text in your message, except replace the curly braces '{}' with brackets '[]': {smile}. Then you'll get /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. As the 'markup in your posts' link shows, you can also use wink, frown, and a bunch of other stuff between the brackets to get other faces.

/ Brake steering on an hsd...:)
/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif and /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif lets see if i did it...yep went to preview post and there they were...Thanks mark...for some reason i was expecting it to show up when I typed it here for me to see..Silly me......../w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Lil' Paul

/ Brake steering on an hsd...:) #6  
As Mark said, on the Kubotas (or at least on the 1995 B7100 and the 1999 B2710) you can use either brake to turn without disengaging the cruise, and when both brakes are applied, the cruise disengages. But on my cousin's 1999 TC29 New Holland, you can only turn one direction with the brake; applying the other brake disengages the cruise (and now I've forgotten which one is which). I don't know whether that is true of all New Hollands or not. We did enough experimenting to be sure of how it worked, but have not checked to see if that's the way it SUPPOSED to work.

Bird

/ Brake steering on an hsd...:) #7  
My B8200HST4wd operates as you said.

For all the discussion on it previously, I WOULD like to see a better way to use the steering brakes than with the cruise control.

So, realistically, does it really matter. No, it doesn't, IF you have power steering. They are SO easy to turn with power steering, that it's not a big deal.

IF you DO NOT have power steering, then YES it is a nice feature to have working. If I get a loader full of dirt ect, it is harder to turn. It would be sweet to be able to just nudge one brake to help maneuver.

That's what is nice about something like a old Ford 8N. There's no power steering. But, you nudge that brake while you are turning, and Shazam(anybody old enough to remember that?) you are turning on a dime.

One thing though, to think about. Imagine the stress people might put thier drivetrain through while trying to use steering brakes in 4WD. It's really a 2wd proposition.

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif