B3030 with BH75 or BH80-X Clearance?

/ B3030 with BH75 or BH80-X Clearance? #1  

madslick

Bronze Member
Hello folks,
I'm looking at purchasing either a Kubota BH75 or a Woods BH80-X backhoe for a B3030.

Based on all the comments I have read so far, people seem to enjoy the BH80-x, and due to the lack of complaints for the BH75, I'm assuming Kubota as fixed the initial problems associated with the BH75.

When I look at pictures of a B3030 with a BH75 and Pictures of a B3030 with a BH80-x, it seems that the BH75 sits closer to the backend of the B3030 and it seems that It has a much higher clearance.

I have posted a sketch with the ground clearance for a B3030 w/BH75 (from kubota website) and the distance from the rear center axle to the pivot point on the BH75.

I would like to know if owners of B3030 w/BH80-x could measure and post these dimensions on this post so that we may compare the 2.

For B3030 w/BH80-x owners :
While working, have you encountered situations where it seems that your ground clearance has been severely lowered because of either the subframe or some other part of the backhoe?

Thank you,
Rick

Attachments

• b3030_bh75_sketch.jpg
    b3030_bh75_sketch.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 639
  • b3030_bh75_1.jpg
    b3030_bh75_1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 597
   / B3030 with BH75 or BH80-X Clearance? #2  
I can't help with ground clearance dimensions, but because of the additional overhang of the BH80X, the angle of departure is less than the BH75. If you're making a living with the hoe, then the BH80X has some definite benefits. But it's a big hoe on that machine, and will most likely cause a good bit of tractor bounce on uneven terrain. Heavy, dedicated TLBs do that as it is, so I'm sure putting a slightly bigger, heavier hoe on a small CUT will exaggerate the effect.

My personal feeling is the BH80X is a little too big for the B3030 and the BH70X is a little too small. If I was going for the cab version, I'd probably have to settle for the 70, because I think the 80 would make the tractor too unstable on my sloping terrain, but if I was on fairly flat ground, I'd want the bigger 80.

I haven't heard of anyone having issues with the BH75 cylinder for well over a year now. And there are now 2 options for a bolt-on thumb on the BH75, along with the numerous weld-on units, if that's a concern.

/ B3030 with BH75 or BH80-X Clearance? #3  
In related threads, some have felt that the BH80X is ok in softer soil, but that in extremely hard hardpan, the bh is so big in contrast to the B3030, that the bh will throw the tractor around too much.

/ B3030 with BH75 or BH80-X Clearance?
Thanks Bandit and Tom.

As I look at the BH80-x it does look massive, but I'm worried that I may not be able to drive/ work around my woods due to lack of ground clearance.

Has anyone had a chance to measure the Ground clearance on their B3030 w/BH80-x?
How about the distance from the center of the rear wheel to the pivot joint? (if you just give me the distance from the pivot point to the back of the wheel, I'll do the math)

Thanks in advance
Rick

/ B3030 with BH75 or BH80-X Clearance? #5  
I have a B7800 with a BH70X and think that the match up is pretty good. Only two times I have wished that I had the BH80X, but only two. I have a lot of trees and rocks and bottom out the subframe only a coupple of times. :eek:

/ B3030 with BH75 or BH80-X Clearance? #6  
Have you checked with any dealers to see if they have those measurements? I've seen my dealer put a new Kubotas on the lot with Woods backhoes on them, ready to sell, all new. There could be a chance a dealer has this combo sitting on a lot somewhere.

/ B3030 with BH75 or BH80-X Clearance? #7  
I have a B3030 with BH80-X. Ground clearance at the lowest point is 7".
It's about 51" from the center of the axle to the pivot point.

Vic

/ B3030 with BH75 or BH80-X Clearance? #8  
As far as the issue goes with the BH75 clyinder. The issue is still there as far as i'm concerned. As with any hoe you need to be careful with the way you use it. Just that the design makes it a little easier to bend cyclinder than the Woods models. For routine digging in just dirt you will not have problem with BH75.
Throw roots and or rocks and different story, very easy to push the cylinder past its design of the dipper cylinder. I learn the hard way but if you are working close up on something tough you really need to be careful.

/ B3030 with BH75 or BH80-X Clearance?
vic4news said:
I have a B3030 with BH80-X. Ground clearance at the lowest point is 7".
It's about 51" from the center of the axle to the pivot point.

Vic
Thanks Vic,
By the pictures that I have seen, I believe the lowest point is by the stabilizer joint.
Do you normally have problems bottoming out the Backhoe? Or is the area that you have worked on pretty flat so you don't notice it?
Also, do you have problems loading and unloading the tractor unto a trailer?

Mazurrj, Tom, and Mike thanks.
I believe Kubota has corrected the cylinders by going from a 29mm to a 33mm(?) bore. Most (not all) dealers are aware of the problem and will shim the hoe to prevent some of the previous problems.

I have included 2 new sketches with the latest info.

Thank you,
Rick

Attachments

• b3030_BH75.jpg
    b3030_BH75.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 454
  • b3030_BH80.jpg
    b3030_BH80.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 425
   / B3030 with BH75 or BH80-X Clearance? #10  
madslick said:
Thanks Vic,
By the pictures that I have seen, I believe the lowest point is by the stabilizer joint.
Do you normally have problems bottoming out the Backhoe? Or is the area that you have worked on pretty flat so you don't notice it?
Also, do you have problems loading and unloading the tractor unto a trailer?

Rick, the lowest point is at the stabilizer joint. My land is pretty flat so its usually not an issue. While making some walking trails in the woods, it would scrape on a rock now and then. It has scraped when loading and unloading onto a trailer too.

Vic